Login

russian armor

What do people think of the Tank Hunter Tactics commander?

1 Jan 2017, 15:39 PM

With the changes to guards & penals in the next patch, I am a bit concerned about their viability. So I thought about trying the tank hunter tactics commander.

The tank hunter tactics commander giving

2CP - RPG-40 Anti-Tank Grenade Assault
2CP - PMD-6M Anti-Vehicle Mines
3CP - Conscripts PTRS package
3CP - Engineer Salvage Kits
12CP - IL-2 PTAB Anti-Tank Bombing Run

Unlike with most anti-tank upgrades, conscripts seem to be a little better at anti-infantry with these PTRS, or at least they aren't much worse. So you can upgrade all your conscripts with it, giving you cheap infantry with acceptable anti-infantry and anti-tank capability that you can blob along with a HMG (or 2) and an AT gun.

The AT grenade assault ability is also really good if you can get close enough to tanks that they can't dodge them in time. It's on a separate cooldown so you can throw both them and your regular AT grenade. Let alone light vehicles, it's actually possible to deal with a Panzer IV with just a couple of conscript squads. Heavy tanks are still a problem, though.

I know that the Soviet infantry anti-infantry capabilities are being nerfed so I admit it's a bit strange to start using a commander that increases the conscript anti-tank capabilities. However, if you don't have to worry about tanks, then you can concentrate on dealing with infantry using other units such as HMGs.

I mostly play 2v2 with a USF teammate but I haven't tried playing with him using this commander (he is sick).

What does everyone else think?
1 Jan 2017, 15:55 PM

Unlike with most anti-tank upgrades, conscripts seem to be a little better at anti-infantry with these PTRS, or at least they aren't much worse.

There is a problem with your thoughts. Can anyone make a label where we could compare DPS with and without of PTRS upgrade? And dependable on vets and ranges. Just to be sure
Phy
1 Jan 2017, 18:25 PM

From what I recall, ptrs give a buff in mid range, a major debuff in close and a minor debuff in long range-nearly the same dps-.
1 Jan 2017, 18:54 PM

According to http://www.stat.coh2.hu/ normal conscript rifles have a DPS (Far/Near) of 0.88/3.57 whereas the PTRS have a DPS (Far/Near) of 3.35/3.35. Normal rifles have an accuracy of 0.33/0.54 whereas the PTRS have an accuracy of 0.15/0.48.

I suspect that the DPS figure doesn't have the accuracy accounted for but I'm not sure how exactly to apply it to the DPS.

http://www.stat.coh2.hu/weapon.php?filename=mosin_nagant_rifle_conscript_mp
http://www.stat.coh2.hu/weapon.php?filename=conscipt_ptrs_41_mp
24 Jan 2017, 17:58 PM

Using a DPS comparison tool, it seems like PTRS conscripts are weaker under 10 range and stronger over 25.

Though not that much different either way.

----

Anyway. I've actually been using tank hunters (almost solely) for the last few weeks and I really like it.

My infantry tends to be at least 3 conscripts/2 HMGs/2 mortars. Depending on the situation I might add another conscript or another HMG, possibly both.

Those conscripts are actually really dangerous if vehicles get too close to them. The second grenade consists of three grenades and doesn't home so it's very had to hit anything unless the vehicles come into "melee" range". However, they can be really devastating if they all hit. A single conscript squad can kill a light vehicle with just those two. Two sets of grenades from two conscript squads can kill a panzer IV.

And even without the grenades, the PTRS themselves are decent though to push back light vehicles and most tanks.

1 PTRS conscript > 1 light vehicle (exclude flame HTs and kiting luchs)
2 PTRS conscripts > P4
3 PTRS conscripts > Tiger

King Tigers... are a problem because of how they keep wiping squads.

--------

The downside of this is that I'm using conscripts which are terrible at infantry. That's why I always have 2-3 HMGs. If I want to fight any sort of infantry, I'll almost always try and pair the conscripts with a HMG, which I just attack move around. HMGs are a great normalizer.

And conscripts are useful for stopping guys charging/flanking HMGs. Flame grenades will stop that. Or at least give the HMG time to escape.

Conscripts/HMGs aren't great for killing squads or dealing with squads in heavy cover but that's what the mortar are for.

I think that I'm having an easier time dealing with infantry than when I was using guards/penals...

--------

Another nice thing is that conscripts and support weapons are really cheap. With penals/guards I was always struggling with manpower, Somethings I'd have to intentionally leave my infantry at my base without reinforcing for a while so I could get enough manpower to build a tank. I have a lot more leeway now, sometimes building caches because I don't have enough fuel and more infantry could be counter productive.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 41
United Kingdom 23
Germany 36

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak