Login

russian armor

Current Ost Commanders?

25 Dec 2016, 17:55 PM

Hello all,
Been a long time player but occasional multiplayer soldier. What are current commander picks for this coming patch and right now? Currently I have mech assault, Elite troops, lighting war.
25 Dec 2016, 18:36 PM

add mobile defense and ostruppen to fit your playstyle and you're rocking the meta.
25 Dec 2016, 19:08 PM
Senior Editor Badge

You might want to check out the post on the axis meta which also covers commanders choices and loadouts.

We'll have to see how the meta changes when the upcoming patch hits, though...
26 Dec 2016, 10:04 AM

I prefer stug e commader (armored assault I think) for pressure you can apply thorough game without teching and thust spending more resources on units.

Then I like elite troops because of stormtroops, G43 and tiger ace (as finishing unit, you simply call it and roflstomp enemy with it, even losing it is good as long as you take 2 tanks with it becuase tiger ace only cost MP and hadicaps you for having it). Ofcourse smoke is just last nail in the coffin for enemy.

Then I use mobile defence (yes, there are better doctrines, but you need something when you screw it up). Puma can save your a** against light vehicles, Prostruppen can cap map and command p4 with puma can give you ground back if you´re falling behind and can´t afford teching to tier3.
Panther is recommended afterwards to turn the tide, because you lack tiger.

Keep in mind these are only my personals preferences and many players like to play with different doctrines like lighting war, ostruppen or even blitzkrieg.

I recommend you using mine until you find the best for you. Experiment
26 Dec 2016, 19:58 PM

I play a lot of 4v4, so fairly often, games go late, and weapons like the Panther, and 12/13 CP abilities are viable, like Stuka Dive Bomb, Tiger, and Elefant.

For 1v1 games I feel that games that go early-mid, the choices for commander above me are fine.

Since a lot of the, we'll call them "contested" matches in 4v4 go 30-45 minutes or longer, late game abilities and abilities that require a lot of CP to unlock, become more viable than in 1v1.

My current load out is Lightning War Doctrine, Spearhead Doctrine, and Storm Doctrine.

Lightning War I do for massive tank attacks, mass offenses, G43's for my grens if I'm keeping them on the move and not stationary too often, and stuka air support for killing tanks. It's a great tank killing doctrine. Plus the sprint ability (tactical movement as it's called) I find is most useful for Panzergrenadiers. Your grenadiers can faust the engine of say a M36 Jackson, 2 squads of PanzerGrens equipped with 2 schrecks each can quickly close in the distance sprinting, and fire off 4 schreck shots into the tank, preferably in the rear, but at minimum close range to make sure they don't scatter and miss. This is an actually reliable way to kill tanks IMO, and the cost of a M36 Jackson well exceeds a lost model or two from the Pgrens and the 40-45 muni or so it cost to make them sprint to get to the tank. The tiger tank, needs no explanation, it's an excellent tank when microed properly and supported.

Of course this works for other, more expensive tanks.

Spearhead doctrine is good on urban maps, against support weapons spam. It is not uncommon I will get as much as 3 Mortar Halftracks on the field at any one time. This absolutely destroys infantry and support weapons, and even serves as a counter to Bofors, 17lbers and Mortar pit emplacements. It's handy to kill garrisoned units too.

Vehicle smoke improves survivability of vehicles, including the tiger it comes with. If you fall below half health, fire off a smoke round (I often just press "T" the hotkey for smoke round on my keyboard), and retreat. Another, kinda funny tactic I do, although I don't do it too often, but say the enemy disables the engine of your tank, or your friends tank, you can smoke barrage your own tank while your pios repair it for no muni cost at all. The enemies will never get a clear line of sight on your tank unless they use the attack ground ability, and pios while repairing in the field, it's kinda cheesy, yet genius at the same time. Speaking of which, that's how you kill churchills that have deployed their smoke, just hit attack ground in the smoke hoard where the tank is, you can still get shots on it even with smoke surrounding the tank.

Cluster bomb is of marginal utility, and only if you're floating a lot of munitions. I prefer several mines over 1 cluster bomb, seems to only excel at killing the crews of deployed support weapons, and sometimes will stun the crew of a tank you're trying to stop and kill, if he's close to the edge of the map when the flares drop.

Last, BUT NOT LEAST, MY FAVORITE DOCTRINE. Storm Doctrine.

This doctrine is the ultimate emplacement killer. You got the LFH18, you got the Stuka dive bomb, you still get the sprint ability which is useful for your Pgrens to kill disabled tanks, if you can manage to keep a FlameHT alive and have munitions to spare, you can drop the Riegel AT mines which will stop enemy tanks dead in their tracks (and free up your pios to do things besides plant tellers). I don't really use the ambush camouflage, it costs what 30 muni? I rarely find myself in a position to ambush an enemy where it will count, rather save the muni cost for Riegels, tellers, or stuka divebombs.

I imagine the british hate this doctrine, IMO, it is the ultimate sim-city killer, and still has some useful abilities for stopping/destroying tanks as well. If they're spamming tanks instead of emplacements, forego the LFH18's and just go with Panthers, or StuG spam instead. Only when they're spamming fack tons of support weapons and emplacements, is Stuka Divebombs and LFH18's a must.
27 Dec 2016, 03:37 AM

What are current commander picks for this coming patch and right now? Currently I have mech assault, Elite troops, lighting war.

What gamemode do you frequently play though? Different commnader sets work with different gamemodes. I can give you some small suggestions on 2v2 gamemode:

- Mechanized Assault/Lightning War: These two are great commander and since you have them both, equipped both: one good for urban maps and heavy vehicles play while the other one good with more open map and heavy infantry play. StuG E is pretty much the meta (But I don't really follow the "meta" so I'm not sure how awesone this unit is).

- Elite Troop: Well, this one is a little bit complicated because of the Tiger Ace. The commander provide good utilities for infantry play (Stun grenade, Stormtroopers, G43s) but then the Tiger Ace... It can be good but it locks basically all of your MP and fuel by the time it arrived. Many said you should use it as shock unit and don't worry too much if you lose it quick, but it's the damn Tiger Ace!... but then the resource-locking thing... If you don't have great preservation skill then maybe don't call in the Ace. However, this commander could work, just not as good as the others.

Some commanders I suggest you should take a look at:‎

- Osttruppen: This commander helps people that have a slight lower preservation skill since Osttruppen are more durable and less prone at getting wiped than Grenadiers. Open with 3 Osttruppen squads helps you form a good frontline and map control while also easy/faster at rushing out stronger units like flamer halftrack and Panzergrenadiers (Always go for Pgrens if you go Osttruppen cause they'll be the main power force while Osttruppen for holding the line). In addition, going Osttruppen minimize your MP bleed (only 16MP/model and they can stay much longer on the battlefield that Grens if position properly) so a highly recommended commander if you asked me.

- Festung Armour Doctrine: A commander straight-up available to you while also have good strength when compare to Storm Doctrine. However, it's basically more heavily centralize in anti-emplacement. This commander also has LeFH 18,a good anti-emplacement tool as always, sector arty to negate enemy trying to capture points (It can only target friendly territory but if you really need to hold that VP for few more seconds, use it!) and the Mortar halftrack. Basically this one give you 2 anti-emplacement tools while at the same time, give you a very powerful ability: Relief Infantry. This ability allows you to deal with massive losses on your side (Replace lost troops with Osttruppen), very useful against emplacement-spamming players.

- Jaeger Armour Doctrine: One of my two favorite commanders (The other one is Osttruppen) since these two promote a mobile defensive gameplay for Ostheer. While Osttruppen Doctrine allows you to have excessive MP for bunkers and limit MP bleed, this doctrine provide good anti-vehicle and reconnaissance utilities: You have Reagel AT mines and Elefant for late-game AT weaponry; you have both the Spotting Scope and the Reconnaissance Overflight, help maximize collecting information on enemy movements which in terms useful in set-up defenses. Then the Stuka Dive bomb is there for "lol" moments, I guess? (It could destroy lots of stuffs but for anti-armour missions, it pretty much not required).

If you have time for experimenting commanders, try the Encirclement Doctrine! It's quite hard to pull out a massive Close the Pocket in 2v2 but when you do, not even Advance Cancer Regiment can save the campy Brits!‎

27 Dec 2016, 20:38 PM

What do you guys think of my commander load out btw?
27 Dec 2016, 21:41 PM

What do you guys think of my commander load out btw?

Well, I can only give you my feedback in 1v1 commaders because I don´t play 4v4 competitivly and thust I think I shouldn´t be giving you feedback on those modes.

If your rooster is also for 1v1 I can look at it.

Cheers
29 Dec 2016, 19:13 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Which gamemode do you preferably play, OP?

Mechanised Assault, Lightning War (the one with Tiger and AT strafe) and Mobile Defense are the safest choices in this patch for 1v1.

In 2v2+ Jaeger Armour (Elephant and scope rock), some Howitzer Doctrine fitting you best and a Tiger Doctrine (Assault Support I recommend) work quite decently in general. You should be able to react properly to every situation by having those Doctrines in your loadout.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 24
Germany 2
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak