Login

russian armor

Is there any point to mod CoH 2?

2 Dec 2016, 16:50 PM

Originally didn't want to put it in a spoiler, but that's after I realized I've typed something getting close to a rant-level. (Click the spoiler to read it.)

2 Dec 2016, 19:18 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

What's the point of modding supposed to be?

While the process itself is not what I'd call fun, I love the satisfaction of finally making something work after tinkering with it for a while.

The mod tools are indeed very limited. The inability to import models, textures and sounds is of course most obvious, and it makes adding new armies or creating a total conversion (and playing such mods) not very attractive.
But apart from that, I feel that even seemingly small changes often require rather complex workarounds. Take my commander mod, for example. The AE doesn't even support directly modifying commanders - does that mean we're not supposed to work on them?
Another big problem, maybe the single biggest problem, is the complete lack of documentation. Look at Relic's modding wiki: How many pages does it have? 10? Aspiring modders have to rely on trial and error, or get help from the community.

But even with all these limitations, there are many great mods on the Workshop. Just imagine what we could make with full modding support!
Dar
4 Dec 2016, 02:05 AM

Well, it depends on what you want to achieve. Sure you can't add in completely new settings. Speaking from my PoV that wasn't necessary though I too wish the Tools weren't that limited.

My initial incentive to start modding the game was very similar to what the TheWise commented - just the other way round and with less emotion ^_^ I went on and created an Early War focused mod, along with fitting Skins and win conditions that disable a lot of the UI clutter, give me Era options without the need to change the mod and so on.

I prefer this over the original game. Others prefer realism focused mods or just custom made balance mods. The point is to alter the best RTS currently out there in a way that you get the most out of it in terms of enjoyment. Because face it, there is no real alternative on the market right now.
4 Dec 2016, 13:08 PM

2 posts invissed, one for the outrageous use of threats and the second for quoting said post.

Never again...
9 Dec 2016, 15:05 PM

I just feel like Relic is trying to quietly drop efforts on updating the modding tools (like, not giving a care). They are probably too focused on balancing the game for tourneys and other players, but shouldn't they have another team focused on the modding tools, for a company like Relic?
9 Dec 2016, 16:45 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I just feel like Relic is trying to quietly drop efforts on updating the modding tools (like, not giving a care). They are probably too focused on balancing the game for tourneys and other players, but shouldn't they have another team focused on the modding tools, for a company like Relic?

True, but you could say that about the whole game. After all, the last balance patch came out in June, and the last new content (Overwatch Doctrine and Tactical Support Company) was released last December. Do you really believe there is any kind of "team" working on COH2 any more? If so, what have they been doing in all this time? There's probably one guy making some skins now and then, and that's it.

If they have no further plans for producing new content, why not add full modding support? Big mods might attract some new players, maybe selling a few more copies of the game. I don't think it would hurt DoW3 sales.
15 Dec 2016, 16:07 PM

I wish the mod tools would allow you playing the game, and being able to directly add or change any element via UI.
Click on Tank Depot, click on a slot, add, select Pershing, done. Right click Pershing icon, edit, change anything about Pershing. All using games Icons and UI. Oh I can dream....
21 Dec 2016, 10:58 AM
Modmaker Badge

I will give you, guys my personal oppinion about "why" I mod coh2.
Basically I am a WW2 fanboy (in the first place) and the second one is I am a fanboy of Xalibur blitzkrieg mod. About 2 years ago blitzkrieg mod team refused to move on Coh2. I tried a few mods like Spearhead but in my point of view they were not good enough for me. Then I started my own modification trying to move the Blitzkrieg mod spirit to Coh2.
My idea is to have a community of people who enjoy my work, share his opinions using our forum and in this way make a "mod" all together.

What Wikinger mod expect in a future:

I am realistic, Relic is a business. There is nobody working for free (only the "modders" like us :) ). But, I would like to have some support from relic. For example the possibility to add skins for infantry, a few new models or allow us the add 3D models by ouerselves.

At the end:

I love to "mod" because give you the oportunity to have a game who react in the way you want. I love the realism and I hate the "ping, pong" battles in vanilla Coh2.
Then for me the modding of Coh2 will continue for a long time.

Regards
Olhausen
21 Dec 2016, 15:46 PM

I will give you, guys my personal oppinion about "why" I mod coh2.
Basically I am a WW2 fanboy (in the first place) and the second one is I am a fanboy of Xalibur blitzkrieg mod. About 2 years ago blitzkrieg mod team refused to move on Coh2. I tried a few mods like Spearhead but in my point of view they were not good enough for me. Then I started my own modification trying to move the Blitzkrieg mod spirit to Coh2.
My idea is to have a community of people who enjoy my work, share his opinions using our forum and in this way make a "mod" all together.

What Wikinger mod expect in a future:

I am realistic, Relic is a business. There is nobody working for free (only the "modders" like us :) ). But, I would like to have some support from relic. For example the possibility to add skins for infantry, a few new models or allow us the add 3D models by ouerselves.

At the end:

I love to "mod" because give you the oportunity to have a game who react in the way you want. I love the realism and I hate the "ping, pong" battles in vanilla Coh2.
Then for me the modding of Coh2 will continue for a long time.

Regards
Olhausen

Passion is nice and all, but with the limited nature of the tools, also limits modders' abilities and creativity. Though yeah I get what you mean. I love this game too.
21 Dec 2016, 16:14 PM

True, but you could say that about the whole game. After all, the last balance patch came out in June, and the last new content (Overwatch Doctrine and Tactical Support Company) was released last December. Do you really believe there is any kind of "team" working on COH2 any more? If so, what have they been doing in all this time? There's probably one guy making some skins now and then, and that's it.

If they have no further plans for producing new content, why not add full modding support? Big mods might attract some new players, maybe selling a few more copies of the game. I don't think it would hurt DoW3 sales.

Here's just a guess, but I think they're starting to not care. If they really wanted the modding community to develop further then they should've pushed for improved tools a long time ago.
22 Dec 2016, 02:44 AM
Patrion 14

in relic's most recent blog, they said they "hope" to update the modding tool - no confirmation.

and they are advertising the Eastern Front mod for CoH1. So I do think they do want to make modding tools better. but no manpower :).
22 Dec 2016, 10:14 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2016, 02:44 AMpigsoup
in relic's most recent blog, they said they "hope" to update the modding tool - no confirmation.

and they are advertising the Eastern Front mod for CoH1. So I do think they do want to make modding tools better. but no manpower :).

They "hope" to update the tools, but it doesn't have anything to do with hope. They do have the manpower, it only comes down to whether they are willing to invest it - or if DoW3 is more important to them. What they wrote does sound nice, but I'll believe it when I see it. I sincerely hope that they go through with it, but they haven't exactly kept all their promises in the past.
22 Dec 2016, 17:20 PM

They "hope" to update the tools, but it doesn't have anything to do with hope. They do have the manpower, it only comes down to whether they are willing to invest it - or if DoW3 is more important to them. What they wrote does sound nice, but I'll believe it when I see it. I sincerely hope that they go through with it, but they haven't exactly kept all their promises in the past.

I think at this rate it could be treated like a prophecy.

The Great Prophecy of Good Updated Modding Tools

Fufilling this Prophecy includes:

Custom Models importing

Custom Sounds importing

Custom Everything creation ability

I can only dream.....
9 Feb 2017, 14:42 PM

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but I haven't touched CoH 2 and the Mod Tools for months, currently, due to work. I just would like to know if there has been any improvements or updates to the Modding Tools?
9 Feb 2017, 14:57 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but I haven't touched CoH 2 and the Mod Tools for months, currently, due to work. I just would like to know if there has been any improvements or updates to the Modding Tools?

Nope, nothing. Still hoping!
29 Mar 2017, 15:19 PM

Hi, sorry for bringing back this dead thread, but......

ANY UPDATES? LOL
29 Mar 2017, 17:28 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Hi, sorry for bringing back this dead thread, but......

ANY UPDATES? LOL

Nope :guyokay:
30 Mar 2017, 08:41 AM

Nope :guyokay:

Wow has Relic given up on modding?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3
Korea, Republic Of 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias