Login

russian armor

Properly adjusting accuracy

27 Sep 2016, 01:58 AM

Hello All,

I was having trouble understanding the weapons attributes, particularly accuracy, area_info, and scatter. I know they all affect the weapon's accuracy in some way, but how exactly do they line up and when should I use which? Can someone give a general explanation for each and a more detailed level of explanation in how each attribute is reflected in game?

Thank you,
kwok
27 Sep 2016, 20:04 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

When a weapon fires at something, its accuracy is checked first. The accuracy value for the given range is multiplied with that something's target size and received accuracy modifiers, and that is the chance that the target will be hit directly, even if it moves out of range or into the FoW while the projectile is travelling.

If the target is not hit directly, the scatter section calculates where the projectile will land instead. It can still land right on the target if the scatter is very low.

The area_info determines how large and how lethal the blast radius of the weapon is. If there is no AoE at all, scatter is purely cosmetical.

Generally, small arms only use accuracy, while artillery only uses scatter. Tank or AT guns use both, and for them (as a rule of thumb) high accuracy is good against vehicles, whereas low scatter is good against infantry.

Hope that helped a bit!
28 Sep 2016, 02:40 AM

Yes, this was helpful. I did ask another friend about this before and was told more or less the same thing, but somehow I still couldn't seem to adjust things properly. So do all weapon types act the same way? Because I thought I set the scatter for a Leig 18 75mm really low but somehow the projectile just seems to fly SUPER far no matter how I adjust the values. What is the scale on the scatter values?

Thanks for the response!
28 Sep 2016, 03:41 AM

Another question sorry. How does attack ground accuracy work? Somehow, the attack ground I set is extremely accurate, more accurate than the regular accuracy if I right clicked. Is that supposedly because of scatter?
3 Oct 2016, 20:20 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

As far as I know, attack ground only works via scatter, so you can't really compare it to attacking something by right-clicking. If it seems too accurate, that's probably just by coincidence, unless you had the unit fire for a really long time!

There are two important aspects to scatter:

1. angle_scatter defines how far (in degrees) a shot can miss to the left or right. It's modified by fow_angle_multiplier if the target is not visible.

2. distance_scatter_ratio is multiplied by the distance to the target (and also by fow_distance_multiplier if the target is not visible) and defines by how much a shot can go too short or too far. The result can not be higher than distance_scatter_max. How many shots go either too short or too far is defined by distance_scatter_offset.
5 Oct 2016, 06:25 AM

We did try attack ground over a long time and it just seemed to work better than regular attacking. It's like regular attacking increases the scatter for some reason.
I know scatter angle and distance ratio is important, and I thought I adjusted those well enough and thought maybe it was just a problem of scale. But it felt like no matter how much I adjusted the values the outcome stayed the same.

I am trying to just redo some things to test, I don't know if it will help pinpoint the problem but hopefully I will get a desired outcome.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★