Login

russian armor

(2) The Lost Valley

24 Aug 2016, 14:30 PM

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=750677518
sgb files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8kmfc4gwxaebc22/The_Lost_Valley.zip

This is my first map for Company of Heroes so it is not very complex or large, but I still think it is fun to play. It may be different from other maps in that it has no building, instead the best cover is the mountain itself.

I do not have a friend to test with so I play against computer players on both sides to balance the layout. Any feedback or advice will be very valuable to me!
24 Aug 2016, 17:29 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

I wont think that this is a map for the contest.
Have no idea where i can start with the problems of this map (to be part of the contest).
Top point.) The base area is wrong. It seems to me that the spawn area is in a manpower sector. The map entry point is wrong (32m away from the "real" playable area). I'm surprised that the map will start without crash.
1.) Territory setting is wrong. A 1vs1 map needs 10 manpower, 2 fuel and 2 munition points + 3 VPs and the base areas.
2.) Height level will be a big problem. A map with so much hills, valleys and cliffs will kill the games. Shots or rounds will be blocked or will hit the ground. You cant shot on high range on this map.
3.) It seems to me that there are no splats, splines or tiles at all (or better: variations and painting and blending).
4.) No offmap/out of command area.
There is even more but all in all the basics arent solide enough for a contest map (out of my view).
26 Aug 2016, 13:04 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but this map will end up needing A LOT of work to make acceptable/ up to par with Relic standards. There are many things wrong, as Rommel has pointed out.
27 Aug 2016, 10:42 AM

I wont think that this is a map for the contest.
Have no idea where i can start with the problems of this map (to be part of the contest).
Top point.) The base area is wrong. It seems to me that the spawn area is in a manpower sector. The map entry point is wrong (32m away from the "real" playable area). I'm surprised that the map will start without crash.
1.) Territory setting is wrong. A 1vs1 map needs 10 manpower, 2 fuel and 2 munition points + 3 VPs and the base areas.
2.) Height level will be a big problem. A map with so much hills, valleys and cliffs will kill the games. Shots or rounds will be blocked or will hit the ground. You cant shot on high range on this map.
3.) It seems to me that there are no splats, splines or tiles at all (or better: variations and painting and blending).
4.) No offmap/out of command area.
There is even more but all in all the basics arent solide enough for a contest map (out of my view).

I wanted to use hills and valleys as natural covers for infantry to reduce engagement distance. Some hills were set to be very high to block mortar rounds(like the narrower path in the middle is immune from mortar strikes), others also function as natural blocks to reduce the effectiveness of long range weapon group such as machine gun and sniper.
There were splines on my map. They were main and sub paths that units can go through on this map. I created them before I changed the terrain, and built hills and lakes around those splines. But after finishing the map I feel like it is very weird to have paths in such rural background so I remove them all. But I do need more titles and splats on this map to make it look nicer.

You are right that maybe I shouldn't use this map for such a contest. I checked the guidelines again and realized it does miss too many requirements. It is my first map for COH series and I created it more by my own understanding than following relic 1v1 map standard.

But still, thank you and tric for taking time to check my map.
27 Aug 2016, 10:58 AM

I wanted to use hills and valleys as natural covers for infantry to reduce engagement distance. Some hills were set to be very high to block mortar rounds(like the narrower path in the middle is immune from mortar strikes), others also function as natural blocks to reduce the effectiveness of long range weapon group such as machine gun and sniper.
There were splines on my map. They were main and sub paths that units can go through on this map. I created them before I changed the terrain, and built hills and lakes around those splines. But after finishing the map I feel like it is very weird to have paths in such rural background so I remove them all. But I do need more titles and splats on this map to make it look nicer.

You are right that maybe I shouldn't use this map for such a contest. I checked the guidelines again and realized it does miss too many requirements. It is my first map for COH series and I created it more by my own understanding than following relic 1v1 map standard.

Keep on trying, it all takes time.
27 Aug 2016, 12:02 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Well. My first maps werent good and i was frustrated by the worldbuilder. But after time and with a lot of exercise ii is way better to work with the wb and create new worlds and stories for CoH ;)
27 Aug 2016, 12:35 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

No problem man, if you aren't too disheartened, myself (and some other mappers) would always be willing to be around to help you learn.
28 Aug 2016, 05:00 AM
Patrion 14

hmm. Those hills will be very very tough on players.

your camera's height is determined on the ground elevation. so when players are zipping through map, it will be like a rollercoaster ride.

alternative would be faking a hill by having dense forest that have huge heights (the tree objects would be lifted off the ground) in the middle of the invisible hill so that it looks like the dense forest is on a hill. but the problem with that is that the trees will take a whole screen in some camera positions. that is also not good.

if it is all about the impasse that the steep hills make and how using that is the point of the map, i would use low hills with large impasse objects - building ruins, large rock formations, waterfalls etc etc.

but if the hills themselves are the important part, im sure smoothing out the hill terrain and decorations will go a long way.

--------
also cleaned up the thread a bit more.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight