Login

russian armor

Recon support company

18 Aug 2016, 11:26 AM

What are your thoughts on this company? Looking to get some high level replays of this company being used in 1v1 or 2v2. The passive, small sight buff on all your rifles is awesome. Not really sure on the m8 so much or if 900 manpower for 2 AB squads w some random shit is worth it. How good is the AB's mine now with the current patch change to mines?
18 Aug 2016, 17:32 PM

I'm not all that good and I mostly play 3v3/4v4. So you take what you want out of this.

Recon company is one of those that is 'Almost Amazing'.

Why do I say that? because every once and a while when the stars align on the right map this company actually works. Most of the time though its a bit of a train wreck.

What I like best about this company is the I&R barrage, or used to until the nerfed the time it took to call it in. It is still one of the more MU efficient barrages out there. Trouble is it's on a 3-man glass c---, just glass, squad. I use the fake flares more than anything though and it does cause the occasional retreat or just re position.

The M8 scout car can be really good, just so long as your opponent has 0 AT and 0 vehicles (it loses to all other vehicles except for kubel and un-upgraded halftrack, even then it might be close). And you pretty much are forced to buy the 70MU health/armor upgrade just so it can contend with basic infantry. Canister shot is pretty nasty about squad wipes if your opponent isn't paying attention. If he is paying attention then its just a MU waster - and you don't want to waste MU so you can keep bombarding your enemy with those I&R barrages.

I've always hated that the airborne drops with an unmanned AT gun. Why? because you're probably not going to pick that piece of crap up because it sucks vs axis mid-late- v. late tanks, buuuut it's fast reload and decent arc make it excellent against those low armor allied tanks. So you can't let it get captured. Also, it really sucks when both AB squads drop with double zooks. Who wants that?? What person at relic even thought it was a good idea for them to drop with anything besides thompson/1919LMG??? It's such a dice roll if you get decent weapons or not. It comes late and it's expensive as hell. It should be 700MP and no AT gun and they drop with either Thompson or LMG.

If you still want to play it after all that it's decent vs OKW or highly defensive OH on maps with a moderate amount of buildings - particularly high health buildings that say intact for a while. Why do I say this? because I&R pathfinder's barrage is actually quite great at clearing out those really dug in spots. Or you could just play infantry company. Your choice.

As to your questions about the M7 mine. If I'm not mistaken its the exact same mine that Assault Engineers have and it's much better after the change. Although I haven't tried it with recon company's paras.
19 Aug 2016, 17:36 PM

I think that the commander is decent for the more populous gamemodes, assuming you adapt your playstyle to it.

Generally, speaking, there are two modes of commanding your army in the late-game (for most factions):
1. You either rely on a spearhead unit that will act as a lethal damage-sponge
2. You rely on units/abilities that give you increased sight range to control the battlefield and kite the enemy

Playstyle #1 is, by far, the most straightforward playstyle, and you have probably used it, whenever you field a Pershing, Tiger, KT etc. Nearly all factions can go for this playstyle, but it requires Pershing commander for USF.

Playstyle #2 is much less common, which is why Recon Company feels very alien to most people. Excluding the superb USF artillery commanders (Infantry, Calliope), Recon company is all the way to the top for me for 3v3/4v4.

The thing with USF on these game-modes is that:
- USF completely lacks any units in their roster that can see beyond their own noses
- The opposition will almost always field heavy armour and in large amounts
- Jacksons require a spotting unit to work
- Without long-range spotting units, your Riflemen will bleed really really hard to KT's, etc

From best to worst:

Greyhound
- If you use this properly, this is the best ability in the entire commander (see below)
- Call in a Greyhound, and swap crews (putting your most-vetted crew inside the Greyhound)
- The reason is that the Greyhound has the longest passive sight range of any unit in the game, when at Vet3 (excluding 222 spotting scopes)
- Now, you can finally outspot the enemy, and your Jacksons can work
- Do not bother with Greyhounds as shock units. They are completely useless until after you have fielded your first medium tanks.

Riflemen sight range
- Only really useful for the opening phases of the game, when you want to dodge MG-walls
- When you are trying to advance, find some cover nearby, and try to out-spot the MGs
- Note that the UI icon visual will betray that you have picked Recon company to your enemy.

IR Pathfinders
- Cloak the Pathfinders on key spots where they can provide vision
- Once the enemy is aware you have pathfinder artillery, start spamming decoy flares instead
- AVOID ENGAGING THE PATHFINDERS IN COMBAT AT ALL COSTS

Recon run
- It can't be shot down
- However, it costs munitions (that you need for your arty)

Paratrooper drops
- Try to avoid them as much as you can (no added sight range, no snares, you can't control their weapons)
- If you do summon them, keep in mind that they have mines that you can use.

(Of course, the best commanders for USF 3v3/4v4 playstyle are, by far, Infantry and Calliope commander).
20 Aug 2016, 17:01 PM

In 1v1 best strategy for this commader is locking him in dark room, with no door nor window and never allowing making it to your combat rooster
20 Aug 2016, 19:33 PM

Well In current state of the game this commander is stronger than ever. There is still better choices tho. Check out the guide on this site. "knowing is half the battle" It actually works really well with the recently buffed 50cal and m8scot.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 96
unknown 6
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak