Login

russian armor

Question about weapon targeting

2 Aug 2016, 10:25 AM

I've recently noticed the effect of the ReceiveAttackCommands flag under entity hardpoints (in the ebps files):
- Seting this flag to True for a particular hardpoint means that the gun will pick up the attack command. If the enemy is outside the arc of fire, the unit will rotate accordingly, first
- Setting this flag to False means that the weapon will ignore right-click commands. However, it will still acquire targets automatically within its arc of fire.

My question is:
- Is there a way to design a an ability that toggles the ReceiveAttackCommands flag for a particular hardpoint?

Now, let me motivate why I want this, with an example.

The reason I want to have an ability like this is to fix the Churchill Crocodile for a mod I am making. I want to allow the Crocodile cannon and the flamethrower to be controlled individually:
- You click the ability and right click on a tank; the cannon now aims at the tank
- You toggle the ability back and now you only control the flamethrower. You right click on an AT gun
- The end result is that the flamethrower is firing at the AT gun while the cannon is firing at the tank.
- (if possible, I would also like to have a 3rd toggle state that makes the user able to control both the cannon and the flamethrower at the same time)

So far, I have used a dummy weapon hack (like the OST half-track) for hardpoint1:
- While I am controlling the cannon, I set the hardpoint_01 to a dummy weapon with 360 cone of fire.
- While I am controlling the flamethrower, I set the dummy weapon to a 10-degree fire arc.
That way, attack-moving with the flamethrower means that the tank will continue to auto-rotate.

However, I have issues when it comes to ceding and gaining control of a gun (say the flamethrower). Since I can't find an action that lets me swap the ReceiveAttackCommands flag, I am using the following hack:
- I use 2 possible hardpoints for the flamethrower. One of them has the flag set to true, the other has the flag set to false
- Depending on the state of the toggle ability, one hardpoint has the flamethrower weapon, while the other gets a 360-dummy weapon.

However, this hack is problematic:
- The weapon does not retain its target when it "jumps" between hardpoints.
- An abusive user can completely skip the reload cycle by swapping their flamethrower weapons at the right moment. The counter-hack is to force a weapon reload every time the user swaps hardpoints. However, that will probably be annoying/unfair for the Crocodile user.

Is there a clean way to achieve this?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS