Login

russian armor

Is on/off-map arty more accurate with line of sight?

11 Jul 2016, 07:11 AM

I know it helped on-map arty in CoH1 but I don't know if it still helps in COH2.

And in the case of British Concentration Barrage, it's an off-map ability that uses on-map assets, so how does that work?

Anecdotal evidence tells me that line of sight is very important because when I call Concentration Barrage (with airburst) down on VPs I own, everything dies.

When I call it through the FOW, the shells do almost nothing at all, even despite blowing up right above units.

Thoughts?
11 Jul 2016, 08:35 AM

I know it helped on-map arty in CoH1 but I don't know if it still helps in COH2.

And in the case of British Concentration Barrage, it's an off-map ability that uses on-map assets, so how does that work?

Anecdotal evidence tells me that line of sight is very important because when I call Concentration Barrage (with airburst) down on VPs I own, everything dies.

When I call it through the FOW, the shells do almost nothing at all, even despite blowing up right above units.

Thoughts?

For all on-map artillery (mortars, howies, etc, etc), if you don't have LoS on the target, the scatter area becomes about 50% bigger (25% each dimension). Most likely, the check for LoS is made when each shot is fired.

Scatter area penalty affects the British 25-pounders (regardless of whether you use on-map flares or Royal Artillery flares). However, I wouldn't worry too much about it:
- Airburst shells always land spot-on; thus there's no fear of scatter
- HE shells have a tiny AoE anyway. Thus, nothing of value is lost even if you lose sight of the target.

I don't know if there are any off-map abilities affected by scatter.
11 Jul 2016, 11:47 AM

For all on-map artillery (mortars, howies, etc, etc), if you don't have LoS on the target, the scatter area becomes about 50% bigger (25% each dimension). Most likely, the check for LoS is made when each shot is fired.

Scatter area penalty affects the British 25-pounders (regardless of whether you use on-map flares or Royal Artillery flares). However, I wouldn't worry too much about it:
- HE shells have a tiny AoE anyway. Thus, nothing of value is lost even if you lose sight of the target.

Got it. Thanks.
11 Jul 2016, 11:54 AM
Patrion 26

does it count as LOS when the enemy unit is visible in FOW because it was hit by something so it appears for a few seconds? Or does the enemy unit really have to be in LOS of one of your units
11 Jul 2016, 13:01 PM

does it count as LOS when the enemy unit is visible in FOW because it was hit by something so it appears for a few seconds? Or does the enemy unit really have to be in LOS of one of your units

When you do a barrage, you are not targeting a unit, you are targeting an area. Thus, it doesn't matter whether the unit is visible or not. It's the centre of the barrage area that has to be in LoS of one of your units.

I am not sure how artillery in CoH1 worked, but I am pretty sure it felt as if these units were firing heat-seeking shells. i.e., no matter how fast and hard the enemy would hit retreat some of these shells felt like they would follow the squad formations and land right in the middle. Luckily, artillery is a lot less cancerous in CoH2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★