Login

russian armor

OKW (balance preview mode) - concerns and solutions

PAGES (10)down
4 Jun 2016, 14:36 PM

Hi guys,

First I would like to say that since balance preview release I played both multiplayer (1v1, 2v2 3v3) and vs AI game modes, with all factions and probably most games with OKW (two reasons for that: 1. my favourite faction 2. most important changes involved) and I would like to share with you my opinion on what I experienced.

Soviets suffered good changes, they overall fell stronger now, the only concern is that penal batalion will be the only base infantry that we will probably see if changes go live as they are now.
USF suffered also good changes, the only thing that feel strange is that Mg doesn't come in the same time with the mortar, this being a sensible combo and a starting variant: instead starting with rifle / RE spam you should have the possibility to chose an mg / mortar combo start.
UKF doesn't feel to different at least in my opinion.
Ostheer feels verry weak, the changes doesn't help to much. I realy think that the fifth grenadier is needed in the squad - it should be implemented as an upgrade from T2 or T3 I guess. The grenadiers are virtualy the link between all other OH units that keep the army together. Even if you have cheaper teching, vehicles or upgrades, if the binder it's not resilient, you will have a weak army.

But what concerns me the most is OKW changes.

In my opinion OKW feels weaker and it's not just because adaptation. It's about their AI and AT solutions in middle game.
Let me explain. What we have now is a strong AI squad (SPs) that get even stronger through the game and rewards the player if preserved and vetted. A weak/so-so AI squad that can be turned into a decent AT squad and if blobbed into a letal AT squad. Of course it's about Volks. So both units are going to achieve their max potential in late game, which is kinda normal.
Now, in balance preview mode we have a potent AI squad (SPs) that suddenly changes its role and becomes a so-so AT squad by getting a shreck and a meh AI squad (remember the changes to shreck and bazooka! 25% damage on infantry targets). SPs are more expensive and less resilient than volks. So in late game their AT role will fade, because of the features mentioned earlier and because they have to face more powerfull guns (for example, a T70 gun doesn't compete with a T34 gun).
On the other hand we have a weak/so-so AI squad that can be turned no more into an AT squad, but into a mediocre AI squad by getting two STGs.

Conclusion: in middle - late game, we will have some weird mix of mediocre infantry that doesn't excell at anything, and can be easily wiped.

Related to AT solution, let me tell you what I think is a good AT:
- it needs to have staying power (resilience) in order to fight
- it needs to have range
- it needs to do an important amount of damage against vehicles.

Unfortunately, raketen doens't fit to these fatures. It has no staying power - it needs to constantly run back to base or get decrewed. What good is an AT unit that shoots one time and then it has to run? Or that is easily decrewed by its verry own pray?
Sturms are not deadly (they have only one shreck, compared to pzgrens that has 4 models also, BUT they have 2 shrecks) and can get wiped pretty quick. Not even a combo between these 2 units can offer a proper AT solution, I didn't felt that.

So I thought to some solutions:

1. Increase raketen crew's durability and buff its damage for just a bit. Effects: OKW will have an AT solution that has staying power on the field and can make it trough the game.
2. This one is older, and others have presented it to in the same form or a little different but I will write it anyway: Remove shreck from SPs and let them with their AI role, create a Tank hunters squad that cost 380 MP has 4 men and is buildale from medic HQ. Thw squad comes with a default shreck. At vet 2 it
has "specialized aim" ability that costs 25 amo, lasts for 30 seconds and increases accuracy with 30%. Effects: SPs will keep their AI role and OKW player may chose between 2 starts, medic hq or mechanized hq, chosing as light AT solutions pumas or tank hunters.

Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance for your imput! :wave:
4 Jun 2016, 14:48 PM

whhhhaaaaaaat!?
i feel like okw got better... reasons being 1 mg added to the t1 after tiering is soo good i love this now i dont gta worry about being over ran and still have my elite inf doing what they do. next my volks are elite anti inf squads now! fuc yea! and they got snare nade my fav! also dont forget sturms got shreks and reketen got so much better. with all the combined arms im owning right now as okw. the HQ fuel increase dont matter since i can control early game now. REKETEN CAN GO CAMO!!!!! WHY DO U THINK IT STILL NEEDS BUFF?? it retreats, camo, goes in buildings...all kinds of wonderful things
4 Jun 2016, 14:51 PM

4 Jun 2016, 14:51 PM

reketen is a good atgun at vet0 its made to get stronger while vetting up it turns into a superatgun vetted up.. ppl dont like microing or taking time to make troops better. just get reketens they own the longer its on the field. okw has great AT. plus combined arms makes them better at it
4 Jun 2016, 14:53 PM

Zis is the worst AT to me becus axis deflect it alot and it is slow rotating u can circle it to easy. the barrage is good but i dont use it cuz its 60 muni
4 Jun 2016, 15:44 PM

whhhhaaaaaaat!?
i feel like okw got better... reasons being 1 mg added to the t1 after tiering is soo good i love this now i dont gta worry about being over ran and still have my elite inf doing what they do. next my volks are elite anti inf squads now! fuc yea! and they got snare nade my fav! also dont forget sturms got shreks and reketen got so much better. with all the combined arms im owning right now as okw. the HQ fuel increase dont matter since i can control early game now. REKETEN CAN GO CAMO!!!!! WHY DO U THINK IT STILL NEEDS BUFF?? it retreats, camo, goes in buildings...all kinds of wonderful things

In other words, raketen has all the wonderful features, but none of them proper for an AT gun, that's actualy the problem.
And ZIS it's a wonderful AT compared to it. In fact, any soviet crew is wonderful because of its resilience. Having resilience (because of six men crew) it has the chance to see late game. And when a unit sees late game, it means experience added. And experience added is the most valuable thing in this game. That's a chapter where raketen has big issues.
4 Jun 2016, 17:03 PM

Unfortunately, raketen doens't fit to these fatures. It has no staying power - it needs to constantly run back to base or get decrewed. What good is an AT unit that shoots one time and then it has to run? Or that is easily decrewed by its verry own pray?
Sturms are not deadly (they have only one shreck, compared to pzgrens that has 4 models also, BUT they have 2 shrecks) and can get wiped pretty quick. Not even a combo between these 2 units can offer a proper AT solution, I didn't felt that.

So I thought to some solutions:

Build a Puma and stop asking for buff.
4 Jun 2016, 17:45 PM

^Even your spit can penetrate the puma.
aaa
4 Jun 2016, 18:40 PM

First I would like

1. noob. Your thoughts are irrelevant. OKW has a cheapest unit unlock and free area lock feature at the same time. And this isnt enough for you to win.
2. Game is garbage. It needs high level tournaments. Results of which would be an indicator of things. Now everything is broken because of OKW first of all.

3.Best bet is to mirror as much as possible cuz they jus cant make a assymetrical game ballanced. Price of OKW teching +60% for balanced game.
4 Jun 2016, 18:45 PM

I also think that okw is a bit lack luster.

Schrecks on SP are terrible. SP have to many jobs and losing a vet'd up SP on the front lines to a mortor or sherman wipe is absolutely devastating.

Obers should have the Schrecks as an either mg/or schreck upgrade or give it back to Volks and you can only have 1 per truck.
4 Jun 2016, 18:48 PM

They truck upgrade costs are fine, but it should be noted the fuel cost delays the time you can access certain vehicles, which makes the okw feel wonky.
4 Jun 2016, 19:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2016, 18:45 PMsinthe

Schrecks on SP are terrible. SP have to many jobs and losing a vet'd up SP on the front lines to a mortor or sherman wipe is absolutely devastating.

That is why Relic put the shreks on them. They needed to be on a more fragile squad such as Sturmpios to help prevent blobbing.
4 Jun 2016, 19:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2016, 19:26 PMGrim

That is why Relic put the shreks on them. They needed to be on a more fragile squad such as Sturmpios to help prevent blobbing.

What's the solution to American zookeepers blobbing?
4 Jun 2016, 19:42 PM

Remember that vehicle crush is gone, so against medium tanks the relationship between okw infantry and allied mediums should be in rough equilibrium.
4 Jun 2016, 19:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2016, 18:40 PMaaa

1. noob. Your thoughts are irrelevant. OKW has a cheapest unit unlock and free area lock feature at the same time. And this isnt enough for you to win.
2. Game is garbage. It needs high level tournaments. Results of which would be an indicator of things. Now everything is broken because of OKW first of all.

3.Best bet is to mirror as much as possible cuz they jus cant make a assymetrical game ballanced. Price of OKW teching +60% for balanced game.

Get out of my thread please.
Thanks.
Good bye.
4 Jun 2016, 19:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2016, 17:03 PMEsxile

Build a Puma and stop asking for buff.

I agree that Puma start is an appropriate strategy but this is not the point, as you could read.
4 Jun 2016, 20:25 PM

Another thought. I think swapping those two STGs for 5 Mp40s would be a better change, and a relief against the Con-PPSH blobbing meta.

With this change they claim a new role, CQC. And not a part short range, part long range unit :lol:
4 Jun 2016, 20:30 PM

5 MP40s would be cool. I thought even 3 STGs would be a better addition.

Why can't OKW have an unlockable weapons rack?

I'm not big on the crushing being removed.
4 Jun 2016, 20:42 PM

JohnnyB watch your player card and think.... okw has the strongest start, they have the heaviest tank and it is not a call in, the cheapest infantry and u cry? l2p okw
4 Jun 2016, 20:45 PM

Get out of my thread please.
Thanks.
Good bye.

I know man. What an ass...
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L