Login

russian armor

Range of strafe

14 Jul 2013, 09:50 AM

Just so I like to know, what exactly is the range of strafe in this game?

A strafe gets placed in the middle of Moscow outskirts. Somehow, it happens to pin my troops inside my base.
14 Jul 2013, 10:41 AM
Patrion 14

Strafe (on opel blitz commander) is getting looked at by Relic. Dont think there is any info on how and what exactly they are looking at, but there are several things that might need adressing with that strafe.
14 Jul 2013, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I know, I'd just like an idea of the range of strafe. If it can cover the whole map from the centre, it makes me not want to play... seriously...
14 Jul 2013, 11:41 AM

Permanently Banned
As far as I can tell from practical observation, is that it has no range limit.

It will Strafe units, anywhere, that are in LoS of Ost, according to some internal rotation rate to set up trajectory on the next target, and target priority system that I dont understand.

This is just my observstion, no facts included.
14 Jul 2013, 11:51 AM

It does indeed cover the entire map and lasts for several seconds which ensures that pretty much each squad will get hammered twice, seriously for 120 munitions it is in my opinion a little bit unfair.
14 Jul 2013, 15:03 PM

Yeah, this needs to be desperately fixed.

No, I do not want my squads in my base getting pinned by a strafe that is centered around the middle... -_-

It doesn't matter whether it is 120 muni or 400 muni - there should be no ability that is the big I-win button that this is. Because that's all this is - a "I shut down Soviets for 2 minutes button" - enough time to get another strafe in.
Only Relic postRelic 17 Jul 2013, 06:42 AM
Developer Relic Badge

It has a radius of 60, meaning the range is equivilant to the barrage radius of a 120mm mortar.

However, once the plane chooses its target it will follow said target until that strafe pass is complete. The Target is reset after each strafe pass. Only targets within the 60 radius can be selected.
17 Jul 2013, 07:49 AM

Ahh okay, thanks for this.

Currently, though, a problem I noticed is that it tends to follow retreating units. Is this a game design or is it not intended to?
17 Jul 2013, 08:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2013, 07:49 AMhubewa
Ahh okay, thanks for this.

Currently, though, a problem I noticed is that it tends to follow retreating units. Is this a game design or is it not intended to?

It will follow whatever it deems as its target in the radius it operates, its not like your units stop attacking just because the enemy is retreating....
17 Jul 2013, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2013, 08:49 AMSukha

It will follow whatever it deems as its target in the radius it operates, its not like your units stop attacking just because the enemy is retreating....

Fair enough, the main problem is it pinning retreating units which they said they will fix.

It is still way.... too good in killing retreating snipers though. I would pay 120 muni any day to kill one retreating sniper squad - snipers are way too useful and hard to kill endgame considering the lack of German indirect fire at that point.
17 Jul 2013, 13:44 PM

Only a lack if you opt not to choose the howitzer, panzerwerfer or build their recently-buffed mortar, or doctrinal mortar halftrack.

Anyways, make the strafe lock down an area like the soviet one, and just shoot there constantly. As it stands, I can't see that having it follow units that are almost certainly going to made to retreat, to be good for balance or enjoyable. A mostly impervious plane (not many soviet players opt for tier 3, and even so, they are not perfect at shooting them down, considering the Quad costs 90 munis + the mp and fuel for the M5) that can negate the majority of an infantry push completely, is too strong, as Hubewa said, for any amount of munitions.

Whereas if it were akin to the Soviet IL-2 strafe, yes the damage is higher, but it is more area denial than an "I win" button.
17 Jul 2013, 14:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2013, 13:44 PMFunkeh
Only a lack if you opt not to choose the howitzer, panzerwerfer or build their recently-buffed mortar, or doctrinal mortar halftrack.

Anyways, make the strafe lock down an area like the soviet one, and just shoot there constantly. As it stands, I can't see that having it follow units that are almost certainly going to made to retreat, to be good for balance or enjoyable. A mostly impervious plane (not many soviet players opt for tier 3, and even so, they are not perfect at shooting them down, considering the Quad costs 90 munis + the mp and fuel for the M5) that can negate the majority of an infantry push completely, is too strong, as Hubewa said, for any amount of munitions.

Whereas if it were akin to the Soviet IL-2 strafe, yes the damage is higher, but it is more area denial than an "I win" button.

Howitzers are too expensive in terms of Manpower so it's usually not an option, Panzerwerfer is an option, but only if you're winning and mortars are very hard to keep alive by endgame. (I know the same can be said about snipers too, but still)

I would completely agree with the 2nd paragraph though, and I've suggested this doctrinal ability to try to stop this silly lockdown mode (as if blizzards weren't enough)

http://www.coh2.org/topic/5356/air-superiority-doctrinal-ability.

Just out of interest, how do the better people play around strafe?
17 Jul 2013, 14:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2013, 14:09 PMhubewa
Just out of interest, how do the better people play around strafe?

I'd like to know this as well. People in my skill bracket have discovered this, and it's really, really frustrating
17 Jul 2013, 14:49 PM

I'd like to know this as well. People in my skill bracket have discovered this, and it's really, really frustrating

Well generally I just ride it out hoping I don't take too much damage. Here is a replay against strafe without using halftrack upgunned.

So in general split your troops up, keep an eye on the plane as when it turns around you know where it is going to shoot next. Use hit the dirt if it is conscripts in the line of fire or retreat if it is a different infantry unit. Spread your vehicles out cause vehicles attract strafe fire and take no damage. You want the strafe targeting your vehicles.

Other than that not much you can do except limit the ostheer munitions by killing their trucks. It still is extremely frustrating to play against, (in the replay above the first strafe killed my sniper and guards squad), but nothing you can do until next patch.
17 Jul 2013, 15:03 PM

Cheers Stevo, that's a good tip regarding vehicles.
17 Jul 2013, 15:13 PM

Dumb question, how do I watch replays? :/

Also, thanks much for the tips and replay!
17 Jul 2013, 22:28 PM

Dumb question, how do I watch replays? :/

Also, thanks much for the tips and replay!

Check out the guides section:

http://www.coh2.org/guides/4164/how-to-watch-replays
19 Jul 2013, 07:23 AM

Strafe is realy OP. Panter + Strafe in late game = win for ost. How exactly does a upgunned halftrack counter Strafe?
1. Does it kill the airplanes so the strafe stops?
2. Or is it only reducing the demage done by strafe?
3. Did somebody try to group his units together under 1 upgunned halftrack to see what happens?
19 Jul 2013, 07:46 AM

It has a radius of 60, meaning the range is equivilant to the barrage radius of a 120mm mortar.

However, once the plane chooses its target it will follow said target until that strafe pass is complete. The Target is reset after each strafe pass. Only targets within the 60 radius can be selected.

So it's possible for strafe to chase a retreating sniper across the map, so long as the sniper is 'picked' before the retreat button is hit?

19 Jul 2013, 13:48 PM

So it's possible for strafe to chase a retreating sniper across the map, so long as the sniper is 'picked' before the retreat button is hit?

No, retreating units are still viable targets. From what I understand once the plane starts turning and chooses the target who is in the range it will then follow that target even if it leaves the range. This includes retreating halfway across the map
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★