Login

russian armor

Air Superiority doctrinal ability.

15 Jul 2013, 08:29 AM

In light of all the shenanigans with strafe (and the fact aircraft had no hard counter, especially from the Russian side), I was thinking, wait, an air war was advertised in the COH2 ads. All we have so far is influence from the air.

So, I've came up with the idea of the doctrinal ability air superiority, which should be available to both factions

Air Superiority

Cost: 200 muni (or higher, depending on how much the bombing runs cost) 4 CP (or 5, depending on when fighters/bombers come in)
Time elapsed: 1 minute

Effect: Air superiority calls in two fighters to ensure that no enemy aircraft activity gets through. IE, any enemy aircraft gets shot down before they complete their mission. The fighters do not affect ground combat in any other way.

Why does it cost a lot more than a strafe?

The reason is so that this button doesn't become, "haha, you spent more muni than me, and your strafe gets cancelled too." It becomes a button which denies strafe and allows your men to move around unpinned.

Why would I ever use it?

If you're conducting an infantry heavy assault, the last thing you want to get is to get it ended by a strafe which happens to pin everyone, thus neutralising your assault. Also it allows you to hold a desperate defence without getting bombed/strafed, giving you a chance.

It should not be spammed so it needs to be used wisely.

What needs to be changed so that this doesn't become OP

Men should no longer call out "Airstrike". That way, it doesn't become a I WIN button if you have no awareness of flares.

Air superiority cannot be called in by both sides at the same time. The first person to call it gets to send his fighters in while the other side cannot send this in until the duration of air superiority runs out.
15 Jul 2013, 10:18 AM

Luftwaffe Spearhead Doctrine

Stuka Reconnaissance Overflight
Stuka Smoke Bomb
Stuka Strafing Run
Stuka Close Air Support
Stuka Bombing Strike

lol

Back to topic, using 200 muni to take down enemy plane is quite stupid
Isn't a quad a better solution?

I dunno about how is Soviet anti-air, but so many time I shot down a IL-2 by my single Pz4 top mount MG42 :clap:

http://www.coh2.org/topic/5083/beware-of-your-planes-lololol

Watch this :)
15 Jul 2013, 11:33 AM

you could add this in, but you would probably have already chosen a different doctrine by the time you realized he has strafe.

Or you could make strafe balanced.....
15 Jul 2013, 12:01 PM

It is an interesting idea but I doubt this will be worth it. They should just balance strafe and maybe increase AA range/damage for Ostwind + M5 quad.

While we're at aircraft abilities: Maybe add an ability that calls in a plane that will circle over the area (smaller sight than recon plane) and then unlocks into an ability that you can use 3 times to have it fly an attack (strafe/bomb) on one location. Usable before the plane leaves or up to 3 times.
The enemy would see the plane and disperse his troops so the attacks don't hit too many at once. The limited sight of the plane would also mean that for calling in the air strike you need line of sight. It would also make the plane more susceptible to AA fire if the plane doesn't just fly in, bomb and is then gone.
It'd make the whole aircraft thing a bit more active instead of it flying over the battlefield and attacking everything it sees fit.
15 Jul 2013, 13:07 PM

In VCoH, the AA was more or less of a sideshow, especially with the Americans. I do not expect this to change.

And this is certainly worth it if you don't want to get forced of the field that much/get your attack neutralised by a 120-150 muni plane which stops everything. If it's a stuka, fair enough, if it's a strafing run... really...

Considering many doctrines have air-based abilities, this may not be a bad thing, but it needs to be made expensive so it's not spammable.
15 Jul 2013, 13:08 PM

And also, tank mounted MGs are ridiculous in taking down Soviet aircraft. The soviet AA platform is not so good at it though.

Something needs to change on the Ostheer side in terms of this.
15 Jul 2013, 14:30 PM

^^ agreed. Strafe needs balance but sovs also need better AA
15 Jul 2013, 16:45 PM

It's not really needed as they're nerfing strafe, but man, it would be so cool to see a dogfight going on overhead in COH!

15 Jul 2013, 17:51 PM

so you'll have to pay 200 munition to prevent the strafing run........

for a short period....
15 Jul 2013, 22:52 PM

It could be cheaper yeah. The reason I said 200 is so that it is a tad more expensive than bombing runs.

Also, if it was the VCoH strafe (not the PE one) then I'm fine with not having a air support option.

At the moment, not only is the range too high, the duration is too long (for the soviet one as well), enough to shut down any attacks. This acts just like an "I have a plane in the skies so I don't care what troops you had with you, I win"

And also, ingame, 60 seconds is a long time.
17 Jul 2013, 15:39 PM

Reminds me of wargame:alb, hopefully the soviets will get an SU-27? :D
20 Jul 2013, 11:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2013, 10:18 AMPorygon
Luftwaffe Spearhead Doctrine

Stuka Reconnaissance Overflight
Stuka Smoke Bomb
Stuka Strafing Run
Stuka Close Air Support
Stuka Bombing Strike

lol

Watch this :)