Login

russian armor

SU-85; The Thread

PAGES (24)down
8 Sep 2013, 20:24 PM

MGs in buildings have larger LOS. The 5 range differential can occasionally get a sniper left alone to weed out an MG into trouble on account of auto-cover seeking and jumping forwards a bit to shoot and stuff like that. I think the range difference should be a bit bigger personally.

This man in all his wisdom is right the sniper always dances forward out of cover before shooting
8 Sep 2013, 20:55 PM

Who is whining now? :)
If it would nerf reverse speed on all vehicles(including German,let's be unbiased,no?),then I would agree with you

there is no reverse speed stat in the game so this change is impossible to make. all tanks are just as fast going forward as backward. the only thing that could be done is an acceleration/rotation/max speed nerf.

This man in all his wisdom is rightthe sniper always dances forward out of cover before shooting

he was right when he said it can happen occasionally. it doesnt always dance forward. and it doesnt dance out of cover, it dances in to cover.
8 Sep 2013, 21:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

So reversing vehicles are just as fast as driving forward!?
Then why does every tank driver insist on turning 180 degrees when you give a move command to some far location in the back?
This is pretty dumb, atm I always give a reverse command but I was under the impression forward driving tanks were faster. I figured tanks would turn around as soon as driving the distance forwards would be faster.
It feels like necessary micro because of bad AI...
8 Sep 2013, 21:49 PM

Then why does every tank driver insist on turning 180 degrees when you give a move command to some far location in the back?
This is pretty dumb, atm I always give a reverse command but I was under the impression forward driving tanks were faster. I figured tanks would turn around as soon as driving the distance forwards would be faster.

yes its just fast going backwards. its very easy to test. just put 2 of the same tank next to each other and give a move order to one and reverse order to the other. theyll stay even with each other. i have no idea what the tanks turn around randomly, but i hate that too. if youre fighting, you definitely dont want to turn around to drive away forwards. you wont go any faster, but youll expose your weaker rear armor.
9 Sep 2013, 01:00 AM

In a vacuum maybe. Infantry will eat PG´s as their anti infantry abilities are crippled with the Schrecks.

I´ve been used to the stupid range of the "stock" Su-85. Yet there are two things that are still annoying as hell:

1) The bulletin lets the Su-85 have even more range than Paks
2) As if that was not enough shots bounce from it´s front armor on a regular basis.

If it has insane range then it should be a GLASS CANNON. Yet you see Panzer IV shots not penetrating quite often.

1) is a very salient point. Saw an SU-85 sniping my pak from beyond max range earlier... awkward. I would have minded but I was using ridiculously OP stuff too.

2) There's a small adjunct to this in that the SU-85 armour is one of the things affected by the faust penetration change. Actually engine damaging one is harder than it used to be.
9 Sep 2013, 03:22 AM

Tanks prefer to go forwards because their heaviest armour is at the front. The reverse function adds a bit of micro-intensity that helps separate good from great players, so it's a good thing. If we never had to think about pathing, cover etc what would be the point of playing?
9 Sep 2013, 06:55 AM
Donator 22

1) is a very salient point. Saw an SU-85 sniping my pak from beyond max range earlier... awkward. I would have minded but I was using ridiculously OP stuff too.

and what do you think about a little PAK buff for max range..equal to the SU or maybe the same ability for the pak.
9 Sep 2013, 12:00 PM

I don't understand the complaints regarding SU-85. All you really need is a PzIV to destroy them.
I haven't built a single PzV in 1v1 or 2v2 game as a German. Why you would go for Panthers when you can have 2 PzIV for the same price. Bargain.
And when you will get Vet1 Blitz you don't need to flank them. You can just rush head on and get behind them using this ability.
I would only build Panthers in 3v3 or 4v4 games but rarely.
9 Sep 2013, 12:22 PM

I don't understand the complaints regarding SU-85. All you really need is a PzIV to destroy them.
I haven't built a single PzV in 1v1 or 2v2 game as a German. Why you would go for Panthers when you can have 2 PzIV for the same price. Bargain.
And when you will get Vet1 Blitz you don't need to flank them. You can just rush head on and get behind them using this ability.

Kill a SU-85 with a PzIV? Only against a really, really bad soviet player. When I play soviet on a team game, the only things that kill my SU-85s are, by order of likeliness to do it: Elephant, Panthers and PGrens w/ shreks - and the last 2 only if they overwhelm me (i.e. have a much bigger army value in play than me) or if I make some really bad micro play. And I'm definitely not claiming to be a pro player, I'm pretty mediocre. All you need is to know how to properly reverse, seriously.
9 Sep 2013, 12:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Tanks prefer to go forwards because their heaviest armour is at the front. The reverse function adds a bit of micro-intensity that helps separate good from great players, so it's a good thing. If we never had to think about pathing, cover etc what would be the point of playing?

I'm not saying i dont want to think about pathing, but it can be more complicated than necessary. It's just that I expected to have more benefits driving forward. I get that the armour is stronger on the front but when you have your tank in the middle and you want to drive back to your base, would you ever use a normal move command? It's much better to keep your front to the enemies base at all times.

And I think scout cars also have this behaviour and im not sure if they have different front and back armour.
9 Sep 2013, 12:41 PM

ROFL ... PZ4 vs su85. What do you smoke ? This is as good as the guy telling everyone to use mg42 against snipers.

Did you know ... pz4 costs the same as an su85 and comes out the same time. So there is a very high chance that both are unvetted when they meet each other meaning no blitz. Su85 can warp speed reverse away from any flank attack and with guards to button up that pz4 its curtains.
9 Sep 2013, 14:26 PM

and what do you think about a little PAK buff for max range..equal to the SU or maybe the same ability for the pak.

Well, it's a bulletin. Personally I think it'd be a better change to have SU-85 range to drop by 5 (and still be great) and be equal to PAK range (i.e. SU-85 current max range) with the bulletin, thus able to do micro-sniping of it. Would slightly improve the StuG/SU-85 matchup and really improve the PAK against SU-85 line-up, which are my biggest issues with the SU as is.
9 Sep 2013, 17:20 PM

ROFL ... PZ4 vs su85. What do you smoke ? This is as good as the guy telling everyone to use mg42 against snipers.

Did you know ... pz4 costs the same as an su85 and comes out the same time. So there is a very high chance that both are unvetted when they meet each other meaning no blitz. Su85 can warp speed reverse away from any flank attack and with guards to button up that pz4 its curtains.

Went yesterday to baserape,had 3 Panzer 4's,which one was vet 2 and the others where vet 1...Destroyed 2 SU-85's,1 T34,2 T34-85's and my only casualty was the vet 2 Panzer,which it was no biggie because the other two were promoted,so yeah if you are smarter than a worm,which I doubt you are,Panzer 4 can win you the game,so please stop your schnitzel eater nazi mouth from bitching...
9 Sep 2013, 19:37 PM

Permanently Banned
Joker's true colors beginning to show.

I think you need to paint your fake smile back on afresh.
9 Sep 2013, 19:40 PM

Joker's true colors beginning to show.

I think you need to paint your fake smile back on afresh.

Say what? :huh:
9 Sep 2013, 20:48 PM
Donator 22

Went yesterday to baserape,had 3 Panzer 4's,which one was vet 2 and the others where vet 1...Destroyed 2 SU-85's,1 T34,2 T34-85's and my only casualty was the vet 2 Panzer,which it was no biggie because the other two were promoted,so yeah if you are smarter than a worm,which I doubt you are,Panzer 4 can win you the game,so please stop your schnitzel eater nazi mouth from bitching...

9 Sep 2013, 20:59 PM

Yesterday I had 3 pios, 1 shrek. I killed 10 su 85s with my mind and a stick of german butter. My opponent was like "o shizam V mec you so cool", it turned out to be a hot lovely Brazilian beauty queen.We then rode off in to the Sunset and made sweet sweet love. So Stop your stupid Nazi Buttholes on yo faces from spewing. Of course I don't have a replay but just believe me
9 Sep 2013, 22:12 PM

Yesterday I had 3 pios, 1 shrek. I killed 10 su 85s with my mind and a stick of german butter. My opponent was like "o shizam V mec you so cool", it turned out to be a hot lovely Brazilian beauty queen.We then rode off in to the Sunset and made sweet sweet love. So Stop your stupid Nazi Buttholes on yo faces from spewing. Of course I don't have a replay but just believe me

WoW that's what I was gonna write,you've got potential :)
9 Sep 2013, 23:16 PM

Kill a SU-85 with a PzIV? Only against a really, really bad soviet player. When I play soviet on a team game, the only things that kill my SU-85s are, by order of likeliness to do it: Elephant, Panthers and PGrens w/ shreks - and the last 2 only if they overwhelm me (i.e. have a much bigger army value in play than me) or if I make some really bad micro play. And I'm definitely not claiming to be a pro player, I'm pretty mediocre. All you need is to know how to properly reverse, seriously.

I'll provide a replay to prove my point.
10 Sep 2013, 00:23 AM

The really sad thing about the game is that the Panther is utterly useless versus more than 1 SU-85. Not worth the cost at all, not good versus infantry either and 165 fuel is ridiculous for a vehicle that can only effectively counter T-34s.

The really annoying thing that wants me to bash my forehead on the computer screen is that 2 SU-85 (one vet2, one unvetted) will beat a full health Elefant with the mark target ability. Yes, that just happened. Stay at far (66m) range and the 88mm won´t hit anything smaller than the size of the Kremlin.

Taking a break for now.
PAGES (24)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight