Login

russian armor

IR STG or MG34 LMG

21 May 2016, 14:50 PM

I normally don't like to make a new thread, but when I use the Obersoldaten with the Special Operations Doctrine. I find myself in a weird decision. Which weapon upgrade should I choose and what are the tradeoffs if I choose one weapon or the other?
21 May 2016, 15:09 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I prefer IR STG, it's effective on all distances, ignore cover (IIRC) and looks cool. :)
21 May 2016, 15:29 PM

Ir stgs make them do more damage at medium and close, and vastly increase their accuracy and therefor damage against units in garrisons and especially cover (cover makes units in it less likely to be hit). And they still get a dps boost at long range in practice because of said anti-cover bonus. The lmg34 does nearly the same damage (ie. consistently with itself, not "same damage" as ir stgs) at all ranges with a slight increase at closer ones, in practice making it a good long range upgrade. I think the ir stgs also give a boost to camouflage detection radius, but don't quote me on it because I can't find where I read it.

Choose lmg if you need more long range firepower against squads that are not in cover. Otherwise I would choose ir stgs, which make them probably the strongest assault and counter-assault unit in the game if you 1) put them in cover, and 2) don't get into close range of elite units that have smgs (because at IIRC <10 meters all infantry ignore cover anyway) and instead only advance into medium range or let them come to you.
21 May 2016, 15:32 PM

If you have a choice between the two always get ir STGs. The lmg might be slightly better at long ranges but the stgs negate a large portion of cover which is extremely important.
21 May 2016, 15:36 PM

The LMG34 is just a superb long range light machine gun. Obers with the LMG34 are just amazing at long range. The LMG34 does not give a huge damage boost at close range however, so don't charge at the enemy.

The IR STG44s are potent mid-range weapons that partially ignore enemy cover bonusses. They are however NOT smg troops so don't charge STG44 obers into fist-fight range with the enemy. Just find some nice bit of cover at mid range and watch the STG44s do their magic.

Which upgrade you should get depends on the map. If it is an open map like Crossing in the Woods, Minks Pocket, or Langreskaya, get the LMG34. If it is a map with lots of close combat areas such as La Gleize Breakout, get the STG44s. Lots of maps have both close combat and open areas, in this case you could consider getting 2 obers and arming one of them with LMG34s and use them in the open areas, while arming the other with STG44s and using them in the close combat areas.
21 May 2016, 15:37 PM

Late game IR StG44 are really good when there are tons of yellow cover especially defending VPs so they inherently out DPS your opponent 1v1.

Also remember that assault rifles are good mid-close, while SMG such as PPsH and Thomsons will beat it close range. The difference is if they charge to get to close range, they will take losses.
21 May 2016, 15:42 PM

Aerohank makes a number of excellent points, follow his advice.

I would add that you should take into account what your opponent is trying to do. If he goes PPsHs on cons, the STGs will make sure he has no good choices. Closing he will get melted but up close he suffers terribly, as they gain vet they also suppress. If on the other hand a player is fighting a rifle blob on the move LMGs are the way to go, shoot and scoot.

On city maps STGs just feel so strong because of the ignoring of cover bonuses.
21 May 2016, 16:40 PM

From the general consensus from you guys, the IR STG is useful for its ability to ignore cover at medium range. I did not know that. So thanks for that information and tactics with this weapon upgrade.
21 May 2016, 17:13 PM

What Aerohank and Imageless said.

I'd also add that in my experience the LMG34 is also really good against weapon teams - the burst nature of the LMG usually guns done one model from afar which can often spell doom if its the gunner of a HMG or slow down a repositioning AT Gun. Other than that the IR STGs have all the benefits mentioned above.
21 May 2016, 17:41 PM

What Aerohank and Imageless said.

I'd also add that in my experience the LMG34 is also really good against weapon teams - the burst nature of the LMG usually guns done one model from afar which can often spell doom if its the gunner of a HMG or slow down a repositioning AT Gun. Other than that the IR STGs have all the benefits mentioned above.

Yeah, lmg obers are really good against maxim starts and UKF vickers. Against UKF in particular, because they can't spam machine guns, if you get lmg obers and pick his gunner off then you've won the fight because nothing can stop your blob, or if he covers his mg with another one and manages to catch your blob that means the rest of the map is open so he loses anyway. This will be even more true when the patch comes and volks get mp44s to clear whatever infantry he didn't retreat yet and you still keep all the AT options of fausts, raketen and jp4 in the same tech.
22 May 2016, 06:34 AM

Ignore stats. STG44s should always be chosen due to sheer coolness factor :)
22 May 2016, 08:09 AM

Only reason to chose lmg over stg is when you want to camp in green cover on max range.

Considering OKW playstile emphasizes on agressive infantry usage i always upgarde stgs when i can, and i have strong suspicion that their ignore cover bonus also applies to last 2 kar rifles. Also due to their nature they just murder any team weapon you flank with obers and lot better against retreating units. Their damage potential on big vet levels also much highter.
23 May 2016, 10:03 AM

Good thing is that IR STG doesnt drop on death, so you are not feeding them with an insane weapon :D
24 May 2016, 12:48 PM

IR STG is perfect against pesky Commandos, Pathfinders and Snipers.
24 May 2016, 14:49 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Does not negate cover. Does in the ballpark of open damage against light cover and does in the ballpark of light cover damage against heavy cover and garrisons, and finally heavy cover damage against trenches. Hard countered by PPSH cons for some reason in my experience.
24 May 2016, 15:05 PM

Few times I have faced vet 4 and 5 STG Obers.

Damn... Pure terminator. The most ultimate infantry.
They even laugh at vet 3 Shocks at close range.
24 May 2016, 15:44 PM

Not to mention Vet 4-5 Obers are incredibly difficult to suppress.
24 May 2016, 16:14 PM

Vet 4 LMG obers also laugh at vet 3 shocks close range (and any other infantry squad) since it gets balanced suppresion on the move. :sibHyena:
24 May 2016, 16:19 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2016, 08:09 AMJadame!
and i have strong suspicion that their ignore cover bonus also applies to last 2 kar rifles

it doesnt
24 May 2016, 16:58 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

The only thing that will protect you adequately from the deadly reign of STG44s is a fighting position. Because the cover type is different than other garrisons, it actually does not get negated.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 37
Germany 26
United States 25
unknown 34
Germany 33
Peru 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W