Login

russian armor

Ostheer vs Soviets

19 May 2016, 23:03 PM

4v4 pleb been playing some 1v1 recently and I am having a great amount of difficulty with OST vs Sov. Whether its maxim spam with partyson or scripts with guards - I can't seem to find a solid strategy.

Versus script spam I typically go gren - gren - mg - gren - gren - 222.

Versus maxims I go gren - sniper - gren - gren - gren/mort - 222.

By the time I get my 222 out i'm either met with partyson/guards and it basically nullifys this unit - am I wasting my time with the 222? Sometimes I even make 2 of them but their window of effectiveness is so short, im either me with more guards/partsons and then finally a t70.

Skip the 222s and build pgrens/paks?

Someone suggested 2x snipers?

I don't want to get into what I'm doing late game since I usually can't get past the t70s.

I have Lightning War / Mech Assault / Mobile Def for my commander loadouts.
20 May 2016, 02:11 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Four grens is a bit much in the early game. Investing that much will really set you back in manpower for when the t-70/m5 comes. You want either pgrens, 222, or pack for your 5th unit. You would also want to get the sniper a bit later, and the mg earlier. If you have the mg early and suppress a squad, that's 1/3 their army out already. Keep a gren sorta near to protect the mg and make sure that squad retreats. Now you should be good to go against the other units without too much trouble.

If you are facing cons something like mg-gren-gren-gren-(pgren or pak) will work well. If you held all your shit you can get the pgrens for ai and follow up with the pak before light vehicles hit. I don't recommend a 222 versus cons unless you are planning on using a spotting scope doctrine. The 222 will lose effectiveness when they get at nades and will die when their light vehicles hit the field unless they make a huge mistake. Not worth the manpower in early game, imo. Against maxim spam it can be effective on open maps where you aren't going to get surprise partysan'd.

Dealing with maxim spam is going to be a lot more map dependent. If they don't have partison tactics equipped 222s will work great, otherwise go for a sniper. Build will start the same as before since you don't know what the opponent is going. MG-gren-gren then get a sniper or quick to 222. At some point get a mortar. If you know he will get maxims from bulletins or something you can skip the mg. Remember to get flamethrowers on the pios. Always be expecting the t-70 and prepare for it, or you will lose.

There isn't really a perfect opening for Ostheer, they are fairly flexible in the early game. Pick and choose depending on the map, you will get a feel for it with practice. Watch some Ostheer games to get a better understanding of the faction. Ostheer is probably the weakest faction in 1v1, but that just means try harder. It's not a big enough problem that just playing better wont solve.
20 May 2016, 12:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2016, 02:11 AMTobis
Four grens is a bit much in the early game. Investing that much will really set you back in manpower for when the t-70/m5 comes. You want either pgrens, 222, or pack for your 5th unit. You would also want to get the sniper a bit later, and the mg earlier. If you have the mg early and suppress a squad, that's 1/3 their army out already. Keep a gren sorta near to protect the mg and make sure that squad retreats. Now you should be good to go against the other units without too much trouble.

If you are facing cons something like mg-gren-gren-gren-(pgren or pak) will work well. If you held all your shit you can get the pgrens for ai and follow up with the pak before light vehicles hit. I don't recommend a 222 versus cons unless you are planning on using a spotting scope doctrine. The 222 will lose effectiveness when they get at nades and will die when their light vehicles hit the field unless they make a huge mistake. Not worth the manpower in early game, imo. Against maxim spam it can be effective on open maps where you aren't going to get surprise partysan'd.

Dealing with maxim spam is going to be a lot more map dependent. If they don't have partison tactics equipped 222s will work great, otherwise go for a sniper. Build will start the same as before since you don't know what the opponent is going. MG-gren-gren then get a sniper or quick to 222. At some point get a mortar. If you know he will get maxims from bulletins or something you can skip the mg. Remember to get flamethrowers on the pios. Always be expecting the t-70 and prepare for it, or you will lose.

There isn't really a perfect opening for Ostheer, they are fairly flexible in the early game. Pick and choose depending on the map, you will get a feel for it with practice. Watch some Ostheer games to get a better understanding of the faction. Ostheer is probably the weakest faction in 1v1, but that just means try harder. It's not a big enough problem that just playing better wont solve.

Thank you - I will try the early mg vs con spam. I've been avoiding it since they always seem to hoorah around it or use green cover but its worth a shot.

I'll try the pgrens instead of 222's with the late mortar. This doesn't leave me a lot vs t70 - one pak? Should I be saving the muni for shreks as insurance?
20 May 2016, 12:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2016, 12:44 PMGdot

Thank you - I will try the early mg vs con spam. I've been avoiding it since they always seem to hoorah around it or use green cover but its worth a shot.

I'll try the pgrens instead of 222's with the late mortar. This doesn't leave me a lot vs t70 - one pak? Should I be saving the muni for shreks as insurance?

Enough ammo for shreks is always good :) Mobile defense is currently the best choice against soviets.Paks and shreks are fine but they lack mobility,hence i would really propose going for a puma.
20 May 2016, 13:05 PM

Enough ammo for shreks is always good :) Mobile defense is currently the best choice against soviets.Paks and shreks are fine but they lack mobility,hence i would really propose going for a puma.

Hmmm this sounds like it could work - wait till I see t70 then call it in. What if he goes 2x guards?
20 May 2016, 13:07 PM

try my strat:
MG - Gren - Mortar on urban maps/otherwise Gren - Gren

get flamer for pio + save ammo for rifle nades against clumped up maxims

so you have 1 MG, 3 Grens (or 2 grens + mortar) + flamer pio

which is pretty effective. if you have big fuel superiority skip T2 and pull out 2 Pz4. otherwise, go for T2 and get 1 pak, pzgren + 1pak again. 2 paks usually close down sov T3 if used properly.
pzgrens BUT without pzschreck upgrade. pzgrens are imo only effective as AI if you are playing against sovs. cons usually cant handle them

20 May 2016, 14:56 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2016, 12:44 PMGdot

Remember that there is a bug in the game now where you can see which way an mg is facing if it is in a house in the fow. Click on the house in the fow and it shows the cone of fire. If you don't put the mg in a building but have it near a key spot, you can usually have a squad walk right into it early game.
20 May 2016, 22:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2016, 13:05 PMGdot

Hmmm this sounds like it could work - wait till I see t70 then call it in. What if he goes 2x guards?

It will :) Guards wont do that much if you mainly use it for chasing the T70 away.Get a sniper and second HMG.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★