Login

russian armor

A single change that could fix a lot of problems

18 May 2016, 00:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2016, 00:11 AMCabreza

Changing reverse speed would mean every vehicle designed to reverse instead of slug it out to have to be redesigned. A Jackson that can't reverse away from a P4 is going to flat out loose since it has less health and does less DPS.

It wouldn't matter much for the jackson that never bounces shots so doesn't matter which way it's facing. Sure, it makes turretless TDs more vulnerable to flanks but it also makes tanks more vulnerable to a well positioned and supported TD. All too often we see tanks reversing away on a sliver of health while the TD is too slow to follow. Reduced reverse speed would give JP4, SU85 etc. a chance for an extra shot, or a shot at the rear armour instead.
18 May 2016, 01:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 May 2016, 23:49 PMsinthe
Overall, tanks should be a bit faster. If OP's suggestion was implemented, the speed, sight, range, armour and cost became closer to their real performance, the performance disparities between the tanks would be more pronounced. Playing with tanks would be much more dynamic.

I agree with you on all this. If the reduced reverse speed were to be implemented, then all the tanks would also have to be radically redesigned, otherwise tanks made for head-on battles will quickly become obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I like the change, but a lot of changes will have to happen too not just to the tanks: like bigger maps, for example.

In the end, I can see a compromise for the vehicles: (Disclaimer, I only thought of these suggestions in about 5 minutes or so)

(All vehicles)
Slightly more range, handling/turn speed, slightly more acceleration

(Light vehicles)
Lower profile, better chance of being decrewed

(Medium tanks)
Cheaper, less popcap, slightly more speed

(Heavy tanks, tank destroyers, and heavy tank destroyers)
More range, more health, slightly more frontal armor, slightly better turn speed

Though with these reworks, I can imagine infantry and other units will need buffs too.

jump backJump back to quoted post17 May 2016, 23:49 PMsinthe
And 4v4s would feel like kursk.

Maybe it will actually get me to play more teamgames then. Love me some tank battles.
18 May 2016, 02:36 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

I always feel a pang when people talk about this game as something that is already dead. I don't know they are right, but knowing that there is the perception that this is a dying franchise in the midst if all of these full-scale balance changes going through constant feedback cycles (and they ended up delaying the implementation just because they wanted more feedback) is kind of sad. I'm not even saying it's bad to think such things, but if the game is dying on despite being on life support, then I might have to brace myself with the possible fact that my favorite game may be a relic of the past.
18 May 2016, 02:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2016, 02:36 AMwouren
I always feel a pang when people talk about this game as something that is already dead. I don't know they are right, but knowing that there is the perception that this is a dying franchise in the midst if all of these full-scale balance changes going through constant feedback cycles (and they ended up delaying the implementation just because they wanted more feedback) is kind of sad. I'm not even saying it's bad to think such things, but if the game is dying on despite being on life support, then I might have to brace myself with the possible fact that my favorite game may be a relic of the past.

It's just that expectations were so high after CoH1, then people were disappointed at release but hopeful for improvement. Instead of a general upward trend balance and quality of fluctuated widely. Things are good now but with official support waning we are starting to accept that the game will never live up to our hopes (not that it ever really could have). So the current mood is a reaction to the realities of the situation, a refocusing of attention away from pie-in-the-sky ambitions (such as new units or engine changes) and towards making the most of the game as it is and implementing more realistic changes.
18 May 2016, 14:34 PM
Donator 11

Isn't there something with the engine like it cant have different reveres speeds or they never programmed it into updated Essence Engine.

I remember talking about this like a year ago when blitz was a larger issue (than everything else) but they ran into a snag. Something like they couldn't assign different max speeds for reverse or couldn't have multiple acceleration stats.

Just have a programmer look into it and see I guess
18 May 2016, 14:54 PM

I have an idea.
Step 1: Revert the pathing changes and make vehicles move backwards only when [Reverse Move] button is used.
Step 2: Assign debuff to max speed when [Reverse Move] button is used, make it work in same way as Blitz, but with a debuff to max speed and acceleration.
Step 3: Make speed debuff stop when usual right-click [Move] command is used.

Is that possible?
18 May 2016, 15:52 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2016, 14:34 PMMittens
I remember talking about this like a year ago when blitz was a larger issue (than everything else) but they ran into a snag. Something like they couldn't assign different max speeds for reverse or couldn't have multiple acceleration stats.
It's like saying they can't limit a Tiger to one in the field because the engine doesn't support it. It may very well be true but personally if it was my engine I would be ashamed to admit that, and I am a one man guy. If only Relic had access to a crack team of programmers whose job it is to be able to code such things in.
Is that possible?
I have a feeling we'd see "step 2" already implemented in mods if it was possible to access the "am I reversing" variable. Either it is not possible or Relic feels it would cause some pathing issues.
Hux
18 May 2016, 15:56 PM
Patrion 14

Either it is not possible or Relic feels it would cause some pathing issues.

shit yeah, wouldn't want to bring in any pathing issues
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS