Login

russian armor

Stug E vs Puma?

16 May 2016, 09:20 AM

So I've been studying the ideal commander loadout for 1v1 and a few doctrines keep coming up, mobile defense and mech assault being two of them. I currently roll with mobile defense, spearhead and elite troops, but I keep thinking about replacing elite troops with mech assault.

I love mobile defense for the panic puma, but I've been reading that people sometimes use the Stug E instead, and I don't get why?

It's decent vs light vehicles and in theory vs infantry, but it doesn't really seem to hit anything (infantry I mean). Obviously it's useless vs any kind of medium tank. Also, it's got no turret and turns like a whale. Finally, the Puma has access to panzer tactician implicitly, while the Stug E does not. I've used the Stug E a couple of times, but I really fail to see what it's good for. If anyone has a 1v1 replay where Stug E's (and the entire doctrine) got used effectively, I'd really appreciate it.
16 May 2016, 09:27 AM
Senior Referee Badge

So I've been studying the ideal commander loadout for 1v1 and a few doctrines keep coming up, mobile defense and mech assault being two of them. I current roll with mobile defense, spearhead and elite troops, but I keep thinking about replacing elite troops with mech assault.

I love mobile defense for the panic puma, but I've been reading that people sometimes use the Stug E instead, and I don't get why?

It's decent vs light vehicles and in theory vs infantry, but it doesn't really seem to hit anything (infantry I mean). Obviously it's useless vs any kind of medium tank. Also, it's got no turret and turns like a whale. Finally, the Puma has access to panzer tactician implicitly, while the Stug E does not. I've used the Stug E a couple of times, but I really fail to see what it's good for. If anyone has a 1v1 replay where Stug E's (and the entire doctrine) got used effectively, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't have a replay for you yet. BUT i do want to say that i first also thought that stug E were useless atm against infantry. THAT'S NOT TRUE!!! It's really good against infantry. And you farm veterancy very fast. If you need something anti-infantry, but you don't have much fuel. I would suggest you use stug E :)
16 May 2016, 09:30 AM

Thanks bro!
16 May 2016, 09:42 AM
Donator 11

So I've been studying the ideal commander loadout for 1v1 and a few doctrines keep coming up, mobile defense and mech assault being two of them. I currently roll with mobile defense, spearhead and elite troops, but I keep thinking about replacing elite troops with mech assault.

Stug E is a beast against infantry. Just don't shoot at the move if you feel accurancy is too low. Its actually better against infantry than p4 or ostwind if you manouver it in the way that nullifies the lack of turret. That means only tiger is better direct fire AI in whole ostheer faction.

Double stuggie completely covers AI in 1v1 match. For AT you should go with double pak, or pak and pgrens. But double pak is cheaper and usually works out better in stuggie scenario. Its good to build this composition incrementally - one pak, one stug, one pak and one stug. Then you just keep bleeding your opponent and waiting for tiger. If you are at high cp and low fuel, you can try going additional lmg grens, pgrens or mgs for AI instead of second stuggie, not to waste manpower that you need for tiger, but usually you can go for 2, or even 3 if you loose one.
16 May 2016, 09:51 AM

Very interesting, I will give Mech Assault a try next time, thanks.
16 May 2016, 09:54 AM
Donator 11

Very interesting, I will give Mech Assault a try next time, thanks.

Also watch out for brit sniper, it can stun stugs (both variants) and that may cost you a tank if he also has other AT. Generally its possible, but a lot harder against ukf sniper build than against usf, soviets or other brit builds.
16 May 2016, 12:30 PM

Stug E is very good against infantry, just inconsistent with accuracy. My experience is, it'll completely miss that 4-man Tommie squad five times in a row, then wipe the whole squad with a single shot. Keep it at range and try to keep it stationary while firing
16 May 2016, 14:00 PM

Stug E's are great for situations in which you don't have the fuel to tech T3 but still want to apply some pressure to your opponent. Once you go Stug E, it is usually most beneficial to go for the Tiger since the teching cost of getting a T3 unit at that point is about the same as saving for the Tiger. The Stug E is worthless against medium armor but can decimate infantry and be used to ward out allied light vehicles that are giving you trouble. Mech Assault is still a top 3 Ostheer doctrine imo. Puma's are great against heavy light vehicle play but don't necessarily provide the pressure you need to push the enemy infantry back. That said, Mobile Defense is fantastic as well.
16 May 2016, 14:59 PM

As a rule of thumb, you should treat the stug e as you would a sniper, fragile against any units that come close to it. Try to keep a gren squad or pak in its vicinity to repel any tanks trying to rush it.
17 May 2016, 09:46 AM
Senior Editor Badge

If anyone has a 1v1 replay where Stug E's (and the entire doctrine) got used effectively, I'd really appreciate it.

You can check out almost every game Hans played as OH during ESL. For example

17 May 2016, 09:47 AM

You can check out almost every game Hans played as OH during ESL. For example

Thanks. Finally some evidence that mech assault is real. :foreveralone:
13 Jun 2016, 22:47 PM

Puma doesn't win you the game. Assault gun can get wipes and win you the game.
14 Jun 2016, 01:32 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Puma doesn't win you the game. Assault gun can get wipes and win you the game.

You underestimate the Puma. The Puma is the great equalizer.... When you are down and out from allied light vehicles the puma comes out and lets you even the playing field. It might not win you the game by itself, but it saves you from losing the game.
14 Jun 2016, 03:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2016, 01:32 AMTobis

When you are down and out from allied light vehicles the puma comes out and...
Dies to AT nade+FreeCaptain combo, or oorah naded to death.
14 Jun 2016, 04:10 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Dies to AT nade+FreeCaptain combo, or oorah naded to death.

If you drive up to rifles or cons and get snared you deserve to lose. It's got great range, use it.
14 Jun 2016, 10:49 AM

The alternative is parking the puma in your own base, where there are no cons/RM.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★