Login

russian armor

What is currently possible with modding?

7 May 2016, 06:01 AM

Hopefully the topic seems somewhat self-explanatory. So far the gaming environment within Coh2 has been one of my favorites thus far. I currently can not tell what is allowed or even doable currently however. So lets start with what I would like to do if at all possible.

Is there anyway to bring back or add the trucks from company of heroes 1 the British army and have them function like the trucks from Oberkommando West currently do? So I can see this being possible in one of two ways, creating a mod that allows you to add an army in the selection que or replacing an army when the mod is selected/?

In many other games I have played it has been possible to add units, ti seems that we currently can not do that within Coh2, is that true? And if that is indeed true do we think eventually that will change because you could add units in Coh1?

7 May 2016, 07:57 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You can't add an army, just modify the existing ones. Replacing base buildings is possible, though.

It is possible to make new units, but only with the art assets that are already there. We can't add models/textures/sounds etc., the only exception are icons and unit portraits. That means your idea could be made into a mod, but only by recycling stuff from other factions.

Whether that changes really depends on what plans Relic has, but I'm not too hopeful about it. They haven't been very supportive until now.
7 May 2016, 08:37 AM

You can't add an army, just modify the existing ones. Replacing base buildings is possible, though.

It is possible to make new units, but only with the art assets that are already there. We can't add models/textures/sounds etc., the only exception are icons and unit portraits. That means your idea could be made into a mod, but only by recycling stuff from other factions.

Whether that changes really depends on what plans Relic has, but I'm not too hopeful about it. They haven't been very supportive until now.

-> tl;dr: modding like a new blitzkrieg mod will be possible.. in maybe 2 years LUL
7 May 2016, 10:28 AM
Modmaker Badge

I think we need to adapt ourself to the actual situation.
COH 2 have a lot of models and units, it is a big difference between old Coh1 and this new one. Yes, it is a pain in the a....to not have all the options but Relic is the owner of the game and we are only guests.
7 May 2016, 11:07 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Of course we can still make good mods, and there are many that I consider to be very good. But without the possibility of adding our own assets, it will never look and feel as polished as Blitzkrieg or Eastern Front for CoH1.
I suppose Relic didn't add full mod support because they (or THQ and later SEGA) feared it would have a negative impact on DLC sales. But now that DoW3 has been announced and there might not be additional content for this game, maybe they will rethink that. Once some big mods are released, sales for the game itself might go up again.
7 May 2016, 21:55 PM

I had heard they have a five year plan for the game Im thinking once they have finished all planned DLC they will then open it up because it makes me think that is the very reason they didn't in case someone created something they intended to sell.

i'm hopeful for it in the future as that would make the most sense i mean giving us the ability after they move on would make at least some sense. was it done the same way with company of heroes 1 or could we do all that we wanted from the beginning?
7 May 2016, 23:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

CoH1 was open to modding from day one, whereas CoH2 was closed off on day one.
8 May 2016, 00:11 AM

If the eastern front Mod came out before company of heroes 2 it makes complete sense for the shift from open to closed. The guy added the Russians as an army being a developer relic would be worried now especially if they are looking forward to unveiling the Russians as a playable army in Coh2 (which they were) then a mod is released for company of heroes one using a lot of the same things they were planning to do. makes sense because now they are like great whose gonna buy the game when this guy did it for a game they already own it does create an issue for them and a concern that they obviously felt needed to be addressed. Again I have zero issue with it being the way it is as long as once they are done DLCing the game they unlock it but I can see that going either way considering they want to prevent what happened last time form happening again. If we have two more years of DLC I'm hopeful they will cover the bases. I would love to see more armies get done (Japanese, Chinese) and as they have two German factions I could see the return of the British command truck faction with the pillbox's and what not returning as well if they choose to do it.

@Olhausen: If I come across as mad i do apologize I'm not I love this game and its easily one of my favorites I'm glad they allowed maps and worldbuilder because any game I've played that didn't have that lost interest very quickly (Looking at you Supreme Commander 2). I was just hopeful of modding in troop trains, more engines like the 662 GG/E Krokodil and other things but that isnt possible in this game and its a shame that is the way it is but yes I hope once the games done they open it up to allow these things as i would love to insert some circus 3d models and things of the such just because I like to add those things haha. Honestly I would love a IG88 on the back of the final Oberkommando truck but again just what I would like to do one day for now I will of course settle with what they allow. I'm not exactly against the people who made both my favorite RTS series (Been a Warhammer 40k fan and player for 10 years now). Relic does things right and thoroughly I just hope to community expresses interest to them in the addition of more armies than simply one more than the previous game.
8 May 2016, 00:23 AM

Relic sholdn't need to be scared that people's mods take away from their DLC sales,since automatch/ranked is mod free.
I frequently look at the public game list for modded games(hoping to one day see someone use one of my mods),and i see that most people dont play mods.
Maps,oh yeah,plenty,and then 2 or 3 lobbies running All Units.
Now,maybe the general playerbase will care more about mods in multiplayer if models and sounds were to be added,but i doubt it,as they are secondary to the gameplay,which is very modifiable.
8 May 2016, 10:32 AM
Modmaker Badge

@ EverKaptin I know what you mean and I also agree with you ;) I want to see the Coh2 full open for modding. Main problem is Relic is protecting his work (cof, cof, money cof, cof). That why they are blocking the game, in my point of view.

@ Fino I also do the same :) but remember if you work hard, and make a good work you will see people playing your mod. It is not easy for sure.
Right now the workshop is full of mods and most of them are not good.
I am happy to have a small community of people who want to play with me my own work.

14 Mar 2017, 22:54 PM

What I am currently trying to do is the list of possibilities a bit. For example, is it possible to have a train engine pulling cars move along the track during a multiplayer match, can we have more moving scenery or interactive scenery currently? such as putting capturable at guns or something on the trains? or the ability to capture the train and give it push button once its selected to have it move to a different spot on the waypoint system? These are all things I wonder but at least have some more moving scenery would be nice imo. Let me know if its possible as I am eagerly curious to do some of these things if they are.
15 Mar 2017, 23:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Since the game does not support that out of the box, you would have to script it. The sky is the limit as far as scripting goes. The only limiting factor would be the attributes and how well they would tie into any scripts.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★