Dawn of War to CoH

4 May 2016, 08:21 AM

Well, I am not realy a warhammer-fan...

But this is what got me into dow:
DOW 1 Intro
4 May 2016, 08:47 AM
Patrion 28

ELDAR!!!

if you want to know what dow2 is check out indrid's casts. they'll give you a broad overview of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoWReplaysNet/videos

as far as 40k goes, the lore is generally badly written and has tons of conflicts but it's quite cool and interesting if you don't get too worked up about the retcons and inconsistencies.
4 May 2016, 09:06 AM
Patrion 15

• is there a rich lore?
  • how many factions? in the trailer, it looked like 3
  • melee and gun?
  • is there gigantic units? it looks like it from the trailer.
  • from coh1 to dowII, did the game engine change?
  • was dowII rich in strategy? better balanced?
  • and etc

• Is there a rich lore?

Yes. To date there are in excess of 365 books published by Games Workshop's publishing company - The Black Library. That doesn't include the multiple rules/fluff books published by Games Workshop and its sister company Forge World.

• how many factions? in the trailer, it looked like 3

The board game and its surrounding lore has many factions - the main ones being The Imperium, Chaos, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks, Tyranids, Tau and Necrons. Although, that is a very incomplete picture as many of those have sub-factions - for example the Imperium has Space Marines, Imperial Guard (or whatever they call them now, they'll always be guard to me), The Mechanicus, Sisters of Battle and the Inquisition in the table top game - but in the lore there are even more factions (e.g Imperial Navy, 3 different arms of the Inquisition etc.)

The scope for in game factions is huge, but is much more likely to be limited down to the most popular table top factions of Orks, Space Marines, Eldar and Chaos.

• melee and gun?

Yep, and most of the guns are massive too.

• is there gigantic units? it looks like it from the trailer.

The units in the trailer are Imperial Knights and Wraith Knights - the smallest of the walkers in the lore (and table top game) above them in size are Titans - which range from being little bigger than knights to being 4 or 5 times the size of knights.

• from coh1 to dowII, did the game engine change?

Yeah, it was still Essence but it changed.

• was dowII rich in strategy? better balanced?

Depends who you ask, there are some pretty good casts of DOW2 - although DOW2 is very, very different to DOW1 and COH.
4 May 2016, 09:50 AM

In the grim darkness of far future there is only war!
4 May 2016, 11:04 AM

Now, I don't like RTS. Only reason I got into coh2 was because its setting was WWII.

Dawn of War has mixed RTS/RTT/Moba mechanics a lot over the past 12 years.

Since I spent so much time playing coh2 with my buds, we'll probably get DoWIII anyway so I want to ask...

What is DoW?

Dawn of War I is very much an RTS that tried to change up the economy system, but plays similarly to Starcraft with fewer hard counters. My preference was for DoW II, which iterated off CoH 1 and improved on it by having a more dynamic playstyle. It included cover, smaller squads, fewer vehicles, capture points on the map, victory point games etc, but has melee combat, different tactics and more dynamic engagements.

E.g. you can flank a setup team with another squad and shoot it down, but your weapons unless stated do not get more accurate the closer you get. Instead other options are opened to you, for example, keep flanking and use your maneuverability, or, switch to melee stance to tie it up and stop it shooting. Other units may have jump packs or teleports, so you can dislodge enemies better like that. Other infantry may simply be too large or too stupid to get suppressed and can wade in headfirst.

The DoW series is famous for changing the nature of RTS, and I'm sure DoW III will do the same.

is there a rich lore?

Is like asking is the world round. Very much so. It's hard to go into detail without confusing you but a lovely thing is that it gets drip fed. At first ti seems all "ARRRRGH! Fur da emprah!!!!! Spess mehreens, attack!", but the reasons for these barbaric and simplistic slogans are far darker.

The galaxy is teetering on annihilation and the immortal God Emperor of Mankind has sat on the Golden Throne for 10,000 years, almost lifeless. In this time since his mortal wounding the Imperium has fallen into corrupt bureaucracy and billions live repressed lives scavenging technology they do not understand. The golden age is over and although Mankind can prowl the stars dominantly, technology such as Warp engines for fast travel are now venerated and treated with suspicion, not knowing how the machines work and instead resorting to ritual operation.

Aliens assail from all directions: The brutal Orks, seeking only war. The enigmatic Eldar, watchers from a bygone age and dying species, look on at a galaxy that they lost to their own hubris (see birth of Slaanesh), and their dark kin wait in the webway. The Tau, a newly advancing faction, have taken up arms against the Imperium to spread the Greater Good. The ancient Necrons rise from their tomb worlds, disgusted that new species have claimed their galaxy. The ravenous Tyranids, a fresh arrival from a galaxy far away, have set their sites on devouring all in their path for Hive Mind.

But Chaos are the threat from within and without, the driving force of the galaxy yet the one thign capable of bringing it to ruin. Corruption tore the Imperium to shreds before, and will do so again.

how many factions? in the trailer, it looked like 3

In DoW I, it got to nine, however the Sisters of Battle and Dakr Eldar were done poorly so most people only remember seven. These were Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Chaos, Orks, Eldar, Tau, Necrons, Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle.

melee and gun?

The universe is backward and technology is not what it once was. Superweapons have ceased to be much use unless a planet is so direly damned to corruption or alien infestation, that most of the time factions want to be able to take back their worlds or more probably, are so screwed over by their own bureaucracy that their request for exterminatus never gets heard. So the factions resort to older methods of war, echoing the past forever.

is there gigantic units? it looks like it from the trailer.

The units in the trailer are some of the largest in conventional games. These are the Imperial Knight and the Wraithknight http://i.imgur.com/p4ZBg3V.jpg

However, they get larger yet. Ork Stompas, Tyranid bio-Titans, Imperial Titans of sizes ranging from Warhound to the Imperator. Then there are various starships that get larger, but we don't need to talk about them...

from coh1 to dowII, did the game engine change?

No idea, see other people for that info.

was dowII rich in strategy? better balanced?

DoW II was in my opinion, better balanced by default, because it gave you far more options and is also a harder game than COH 2, simply by being more punishing. You cannot sit around and expect to win, you will be crushed for lethargy, same way you cannot throw units away for a dead squad is a big slap in the face.

A lot of people play the Elite Mod because it turns the dubious Relic balance around and makes it far better, adding new units and maps too.

The trailer looks really good.

Agreed, though it's very stylised.

Try these older DOW trailers:

DoW I: (skip to 31 seconds)

DoW I: Dark Crusade: (captured inengine, skip to 30 seconds)

DoW II:

Also have a look at Indrid casts for DoW II action on Elite: https://www.youtube.com/user/DoWReplaysNet/videos

4 May 2016, 11:30 AM

To understand Lore better
4 May 2016, 11:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 11:30 AMNefer
To understand Lore better

I wanted to post that as well :D

Great parody, accurate lore(unless we talk about ultrasmurfs missions), comical representation :D
4 May 2016, 11:36 AM

Wow this game looks way cooler than CoH2 to be honest.
At least you can see the love that CoH absolutely lacks these days.
4 May 2016, 11:53 AM

Great parody, accurate lore(unless we talk about ultrasmurfs missions), comical representation :D

Problem is you HAVE TO know background to understand jokes and parody.
4 May 2016, 12:02 PM

I liked DOW1 for its larger armies and base building, did not like DOW2 for its smaller scale and no base building and fewer unit types(although it did have better combat control). Sounds like they are going to try and mix the two for this game: large armies with base building, and the combat control of DOW2.
4 May 2016, 12:04 PM

You mean like that one time where the Ultramarines Grand master ripped a pylon from the ground and used it as a weapon
4 May 2016, 12:09 PM

Problem is you HAVE TO know background to understand jokes and parody.

True :foreveralone:
Its awesome parody, but its all about inside jokes :foreveralone:

Though stuff like Astronomicon, SMs, inquisition, custodians, chaos gods or emperors origins are explained quite well and even if you're not into the lore(tested on fiancee).
4 May 2016, 12:29 PM

Wow this game looks way cooler than CoH2 to be honest.
At least you can see the love that CoH absolutely lacks these days.

Nothing is cooler than Tiger tanks
4 May 2016, 12:38 PM

I started as a roll player D&D and warhammer then a table top gamer ... mainly historical (Seven years war, Napoleonic, ancients, WWII via flames of war) then a high elf army & Skaven for Warhammer.
Never got into 40K ... just a future version of warhammer but I read a fair bit about it.

You need to go to the source:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Warhammer-40-000

4 May 2016, 12:49 PM

Nothing is cooler than Tiger tanks

You haven't met Baneblade man.
4 May 2016, 12:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 12:49 PMRMMLz

You haven't met Baneblade man.

Friendly reminder that stubbs lost 100 baneblades.
4 May 2016, 12:54 PM

Friendly reminder that stubbs lost 100 baneblades.

He was fighting whom...? Space Marines of course. He should have had a fate like Alexander.
4 May 2016, 13:11 PM

Mechanically I think we're going to be seeing a Big chunk of Dawn Of War 1 mixed in with some aspects of Warcraft 3 with just a little pinch of Coh2 in there.

You're going to have your regular rank-and-file dudes who are functionally identical to their Dawn of War counterparts (upgrades on them sure, reinforcing a squad is cheaper than buying a new one, etc) but they are mostly there for bodies and damage. The big superstars are going to be the units you're picking from high tiers that end up with multiple abilities and threat levels. They're likely going to be about equivalent to Heros from WC3. They will likely determine your over all teching, play style, where you want to fight etc.

That's likely why they are enacting a "pick, counter pick" moba style thing. "Okay he went with a Knight, do I want a WraithKnight to 1v1 him or do I want to delegate that to my Anti-armour wepons and pick something else to mess with his rank and file"

There are alot of things we don't know yet but that's the stone I will cast.

We've seen alot of good 40k games lately. Battlefleet is everything I could have asked for, I enjoy Eternal Crusade quite a bit even in it's alpha phase, Spacehulk is solid too.
4 May 2016, 14:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 12:54 PMRMMLz

He was fighting whom...? Space Marines of course. He should have had a fate like Alexander.

Nonono, by lost, they got shipped to the wrong planet and got lost :romeoMug:

Also a common misconception is that 40k is a future version of Warhammer, it's not, it's actually a future version of our world.
4 May 2016, 14:50 PM
Donator 33

There's a distinct lack of Tau in this thread.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS