Login

russian armor

MG34--am I doin' it wrong?

28 Apr 2016, 20:41 PM

I have a problem: I like to use MGs and the MG34 is not working for me. It can suppress a squad but can't seem to pin it and it has trouble suppressing nearby squads. The end result is that the squad crawls up and nades/molotovs me or the MG just gets outshot since it doesn't do a lot of damage. Now, I know the 34 is supposed to be inferior to the 42. So, how should I use it? And should I get a lot? I can get 4 and still have infantry inside my line!
28 Apr 2016, 20:58 PM

how about getting a volks to kill off the crawling units so he has to retreat his squads? an mg is a support unit and shouldn't be able to handle infantry on its own...
28 Apr 2016, 21:39 PM

I have a problem: I like to use MGs and the MG34 is not working for me. It can suppress a squad but can't seem to pin it and it has trouble suppressing nearby squads. The end result is that the squad crawls up and nades/molotovs me or the MG just gets outshot since it doesn't do a lot of damage. Now, I know the 34 is supposed to be inferior to the 42. So, how should I use it? And should I get a lot? I can get 4 and still have infantry inside my line!

You can kite it. Pack up your mg and move further away from the cons or rifle, the amount of time u set up ur mg again is less than the amount of time they get out of suppression.
Another tactics is to have another mg cover the first mg. I don't like too many mgs cuz they make you really immobile.
28 Apr 2016, 21:44 PM

how about getting a volks to kill off the crawling units so he has to retreat his squads? an mg is a support unit and shouldn't be able to handle infantry on its own...

Because the unit count is usually roughly equal. That volks is fending off a flanking squad.

You can kite it. Pack up your mg and move further away from the cons or rifle, the amount of time u set up ur mg again is less than the amount of time they get out of suppression.
Another tactics is to have another mg cover the first mg. I don't like too many mgs cuz they make you really immobile.

Aye, I've found that it takes 2 MG34s to equal a proper MG. You're right though: I get really immobile and start defending a perimeter, at least until armor shows up.
29 Apr 2016, 09:00 AM

For 210mp and instant call-in I find that it does its job well.
29 Apr 2016, 09:52 AM
Donator 11

Cost is its main advantage. To defend a flank you need 2 MG42s, one would get flanked easily. And that is 520MP. You can get 2 MG-34s to cover same area for a 100MP cheaper price and all you need is some micro when they charge frontally with too many squads. Its not valid to put 2 mgs too close to each other. Instead you should put one in front (always in cover) to scout and suppress most enemy troops and the other behind so that it covers the flank and the place where your 1st mg is standing. Such setting not only makes it harder to flank you but also allows soft-retreating and resetting front mg behid the back one to make your defence more resillient. And that is even if opponent has smoke.
29 Apr 2016, 16:18 PM

As noted above, if you are really fighting so many squads that you cannot spare a squad to support an MG it is time for another MG. Stagger them behind one another so you can retreat them in order and keep units crawling. Also make sure to have MG34s fire at tank wrecks or tanks themselves to instant suppress or pin nearby troops because of AoE suppression bonuses.
3 May 2016, 20:09 PM

The HMG34 works the best way if you have a screening unit in front of it. E.g. 1 Volks + 1 HMG34. In that way you can utilize the full firing range of the MG34 (45 firing range / 35 sight range). By this your HMG34 shoots earlier on approaching squads and if you do it right you can handle several enemy squads with just two squads.
Keep in mind that units stay suppressed when e.g. Volks continue firing on them although the MG34 is no longer firing at a squad.
4 May 2016, 20:06 PM

Another combo is Kubel spotting for HMG34 on some flank. Once it suppresses a squad the kubel can keep them there for a decent amount of time and the greater LoS helps aid the HMG34 quite a bit.
4 May 2016, 20:59 PM

Another combo is Kubel spotting for HMG34 on some flank. Once it suppresses a squad the kubel can keep them there for a decent amount of time and the greater LoS helps aid the HMG34 quite a bit.
That is a neat idea, another good reason to use the Kubel.
4 May 2016, 21:22 PM

At the current time the MG34 is terrible (in DPS and not really good in suppression either) it is getting a buff in future since it is becoming standard kit for OKW.

But as others have said, spot for it and try to micro it (just careful misclicking)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★