Login

russian armor

Simple suggestion to essentially buff Ostwinds

3 Apr 2016, 20:09 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2016, 19:45 PMTobis
The Ostwind isn't really bad, there is just no reason to get it as Ostheer. Much more effective to just wait the 20 fuel to get a P4 that is good against both tanks and infantry than something that is useless against tanks and sometimes effective infantry.

A manual reload is required from the unit; the biggest problem is the long reload time starting after the first shot if you've been in an engagement before. Having to attack ground to cause a reload is a pain in the ass.

Another good idea for allowing players to control and alleviate the Ostwind's drawbacks.
4 Apr 2016, 11:34 AM

I think they should lower the cost of both, Centaur and Ostwind to 80 fuel, 100 is just too much, especially since the same job can be done by the P4 and Crom, going Ost or Centaur as first tank is kinda risky alone, if the price difference is that small there's no reason to get them anyway.
4 Apr 2016, 12:23 PM

They were both probably about right ( Centaur was a bit weak considering it's speed), before Vet was fixed.

Now though neither unit makes an impact or much sense and I'm often seeing 2 Ostwinds as 1 doesn't do the job. Can't imagine many situations where I'd go for a Centaur instead of a Cromwell for 10 fuel more, either needs a speed buff or a firepower buff to deal with vetted infantry if the price remains the same.

Cost reduction would give some extra uses, maybe even a cost reduction and pop cap increase to put some time pressure into their effective use.

Will test them later though I suspect the Centaur now does less AI damage than a hull / coax machine gun combination. It doesn't even suppress...
4 Apr 2016, 12:32 PM

yea, ostwind needs some good buff, i think that it's main problem is difference in terrain height, if it's flat, then ostwind will usually hit infantry, if it's slightly different then it shoots ground which is not desired at all, same problem was with OKW flak HT, it was fixed, it must be fixed for ostwinds too
4 Apr 2016, 13:26 PM

Manual reload would be nice for a few units, but you can already achieve this with units with the "attack ground" function in order to have a full clip/magazine/thingymajig for the next fight.

As for suppression, you could try those Ostheer Ostwind suppression bulletins for the hull mg. They are one of the few bulletins that actually adds something new to the game.

I think Ostwind is fine as it is. If you wanted to buff the gun a bit then I would expect a decrease in the health to compensate - or to have main weapon destroyed below 50% health or something.
4 Apr 2016, 14:20 PM

Instead of manual reload, why not put automatic reload? Like, if a unit stay out of combat for something like 5 seconds it automatically reloads all of its weapons.

Also, ostwinds are PRETTY good, if you think otherwise you are using them wrong somehow. And they pack a punch against Aircraft
5 Apr 2016, 12:11 PM

Manual reload would be nice for a few units, but you can already achieve this with units with the "attack ground" function in order to have a full clip/magazine/thingymajig for the next fight.

Damn how didn't I think of this

thanks dude
5 Apr 2016, 12:12 PM

give this man a medal.

and if the units doesn't have attack ground, force order it to attack a neutral object/building. The unit will fire all the same.
5 Apr 2016, 14:52 PM

It does need some help. I find PIVs to be more reliable at killing infantry while obviously being great at other things. Getting a dedicated anti-infantry unit that's okay at most as anti-infantry... Ostwind is just not worth it most of the time for me.
5 Apr 2016, 16:58 PM

You need to be very careful about buffs to Ostwind. It is already extremely fast and can chase down retreating infantry. With Blitz it is even more obvious. As a result, it firing on the move needs to be extremely inaccurate to allow to prevent it from doing this. In contrast, Relic realized this with the Centaur, and made it too slow to chase so it retains potency during movement as well. This makes it a better, more consistent AI tool, while the Ostwind functions as a sometimes great AI tank but sometimes an overpriced fireworks show.

It is very effective against blobs, first suppress the blob and then run it in. If they attempt to fight it can crush infantry and shoot them. If they run drive forward stop letting it fire, and then drive forward again. When stopped it literally shreds infantry.

I see this unit regularly, instead of giving it hold fire maybe an AA mode would be enough. Would be able to move normally and would fire at any nearby plane, but would ignore all other targets.
5 Apr 2016, 17:02 PM

I feel changes to the Ostwind are a bit too hazardous for them to be made. In my opinion, it's as good as it can get without completely disrupting balance.
5 Apr 2016, 18:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Suppression bulletin for MG made passive. OPopie
5 Apr 2016, 21:02 PM

Its in the same boat as centaur. Why bother when you can wait a little longer and get a Cromwell or Pz4 which are generalist units and relevant throughout the whole game.

Rather than any major buffs to performance I'd rather see a price reduction.
5 Apr 2016, 21:18 PM
Patrion 14

I think the ostwind is good as is. It works like a luchs, when stationary it murders, when on the move it doesn't.

The only thing it needs is maybe a slight cost decrease.
6 Apr 2016, 05:17 AM

As for suppression, you could try those Ostheer Ostwind suppression bulletins for the hull mg. They are one of the few bulletins that actually adds something new to the game.

You primarily play Allies dont you?
OST doesnt have attack ground

Instead of manual reload, why not put automatic reload? Like, if a unit stay out of combat for something like 5 seconds it automatically reloads all of its weapons.

Also, ostwinds are PRETTY good, if you think otherwise you are using them wrong somehow. And they pack a punch against Aircraft

+1 on auto reload.
By the time the Ost is out, aircraft have returned to base, pilot has embraced his wife, made his 4th son with her, and is on the way back to the font lines.

give this man a medal.
and if the units doesn't have attack ground, force order it to attack a neutral object/building. The unit will fire all the same.

+1 on medal

I think the ostwind is good as is. It works like a luchs, when stationary it murders, when on the move it doesn't.
The only thing it needs is maybe a slight cost decrease.

+1 on cost decrease
6 Apr 2016, 07:06 AM

The ability to manage your units? You are too hasty padawan we must wait patiently for CoH3 for the ability to use hold fire, prioritize, manual reload for all units, manual pathing selection, and microtargeting (As in having a squad focus down a certain model in another enemy squad). As of now what you ask of is blatantly impossible! Kappa
6 Apr 2016, 07:51 AM

How about changing the water balloons it fires, to actual shells...
6 Apr 2016, 16:56 PM

The Centaur has some of the best modifiers for direct fire units against units in heavy light cover...It simply is a better unit than Ostwind
6 Apr 2016, 17:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Apr 2016, 16:56 PMMyself
The Centaur has some of the best modifiers for direct fire units against units in heavy cover...It simply is a better unit than Ostwind

The centaur is certainly not "better".

It is a slower unit so when it arrives it needs to hit hard because it cannot chase down or preposition quickly. It is also in a faction where fuel is required for upgrades prior to its deployment. It also seriously delays tech to any TD. This doesn't mean the centaur is bad, it means they are balanced asymmetrically.

I will say that the Centaur is a more consistent unit and I LOVE its vet 1 ability.
6 Apr 2016, 17:10 PM

The centaur is certainly not "better".

Actually it is but that does not mean that is over performing...The fact that has better modifiers vs cover means it can kill infatry in cover easier and ATGs even frontally...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★