Login

russian armor

Noobs and camera angles

31 Mar 2016, 03:59 AM

I'm not really sure where the best place to ask this is, but my roommate has just recently begun playing. However, after he and I played four or five custom matches together against AI for him to learn the ropes, I noticed he wasn't covering the points I told him to go to or when I asked for help without pinging, he wouldn't respond.

I realized that he had been rotating his camera to an angle (at a similar height to the default) to be behind his lines. Like the map is either a perfect square or rectangle and he has his base at the bottom. He is convinced that he sees more of the battlefield, whereas I believe he's blatantly not seeing things on his flanks as well as he believes. The other issue is communication. When the terms right and left can't be agreed upon because he rotates his angles, communication becomes an issue. I don't mind adjusting my descriptions of positions, I just am concerned that he's impeding his development.

Does the camera angle make a difference at all? I noticed I had a decrease in performance, but couldn't concisely explain why I think the default angle is betters aside from "It makes communication difficult and I don't know anyone who plays from that angle for reason X."

Any suggestions or help? Am I just being obstinate?

Thanks for any and all help.
31 Mar 2016, 04:42 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Now this is interesting. The map positioning doesn't make sense in the first place, but it is a standard, and everyone uses that standard. I think it is common for most skilled coh2 players to get anal because when people fuck around with their cameras, there is no longer any directional distinction and we are used to fixed maps.

In the end, I think you are right, but don't sacrifice playing fun for playing correct.

31 Mar 2016, 05:21 AM
Donator 11

I realized that he had been rotating his camera to an angle (at a similar height to the default) to be behind his lines. Like the map is either a perfect square or rectangle and he has his base at the bottom. He is convinced that he sees more of the battlefield, whereas I believe he's blatantly not seeing things on his flanks as well as he believes. The other issue is communication. When the terms right and left can't be agreed upon because he rotates his angles, communication becomes an issue. I don't mind adjusting my descriptions of positions, I just am concerned that he's impeding his development.

Usually I rotate the camera to that position where my base is at the bottom of the map, because it is easier for my brain to see the positions and to count the distances (for example for the mortars or tanks) when they are usually in front of me (as they would be in a real combat situation IRL). But I think people are comfortable with different things.

The communication can be a problem because not everyone here uses the kind of communication that is usual in the military. You don't say left or right, but use different kind of words. It is not effective to say take the "left side of the map" in a real combat situation.
31 Mar 2016, 05:32 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Mar 2016, 04:42 AMwouren
Now this is interesting. The map positioning doesn't make sense in the first place, but it is a standard, and everyone uses that standard. I think it is common for most skilled coh2 players to get anal because when people fuck around with their cameras, there is no longer any directional distinction and we are used to fixed maps.

If all of the most skilled players doesn't rotate the camera, I think it is only a result of that this game has a small player base, not that it is always best for all players to have it that way.
31 Mar 2016, 05:59 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

If all of the most skilled players doesn't rotate the camera, I think it is only a result of that this game has a small player base, not that it is always best for all players to have it that way.

Unfortunately neither military terminology or rotation standards are well known in coh2 so i don't think that makes sense to say. Additionally, you have not given a substantial reason to believe players play better when their camera is orientated as such other than personal preference. (as I said before, fun trumps correctness)
31 Mar 2016, 06:05 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Mar 2016, 05:59 AMwouren
Unfortunately neither military terminology or rotation standards are well known in coh2 so i don't think that makes sense to say. Additionally, you have not given a substantial reason to believe players play better when their camera is orientated as such other than personal preference. (as I said before, fun trumps correctness)

I said, it is easier for the brain to count distances to a position in front of you, than diagonally or sideways.

It you don't believe it is so, then don't.
31 Mar 2016, 07:17 AM

I always orate my map so I have my base in the bottom corner.
Takes a while to get used to, but I find it much more convenient.

Positioning behind cover, placing MG's, ... I dunno it really seems more handy when playing 'vertical'.

But it's a matter of choice I guess.
31 Mar 2016, 07:40 AM

i think it's best when your base sector is in bottom of the map, cuz your default camera angle is set to see more what's on top then on bottom :snfBarton:
1 Apr 2016, 00:53 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. We decided to go with an A-B-C system that's really helped. Plus Ive come down from the perch a bit about that default camera angle.
2 Apr 2016, 02:37 AM

Yeah I rotate my camera with base at the bottom too. Sometimes it bugs me if theres a tree in the way of my camera that blocks units. Also, it helps me determine line of sight a bit better because i see what m units see as well as what the enemy doesnt see. Thus, i keep my important units close to my sight and the fight is always forwards.
4 Apr 2016, 18:09 PM
Patrion 14

first thing: turn on unit occlusion if it is not on by default.

and it is purely personal preference. but i advice not to. in some maps, it is in such a way that the colour of map changes when you rotate the camera due to lighting. the map is designed primarily for the default angle. this includes not only lighting but also how you place buildings, trees etc... the map maker puts buildings in so it is not too intrusive according to the default camera angle.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★