Login

russian armor

New player trying to get into the game

28 Mar 2016, 20:21 PM

Hey, can someone please give some pointers to a new player? I felt like I had a good start but then it all fell apart.

28 Mar 2016, 21:59 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Youre knowledge of cap order and cutoffs was good the way you capped the map.

Ostruppen is a great newb commander because ostruppen are much more forgiving than grenadiers.

You had a really good start. but, Heres how you can help keep those starts going;

Putting too many squads in buildings:

Doing this is actually ok sometimes. Ill explain, since you're new you may not know this.

Troops can only shoot out of a certain amount of windows. Most buildings have between 4-6 windows per 'side'. Some have 0 windows. Some have 1 window.

In this particular building in the screenshot above with your two osttruppen in it, theres only one window facing the south, which means only one guy can fire out of it. Theres 4-5 windows on the west side of the building, so 4-5 guys can fire back on that side. So, You had 12 guys in that building, so do the math. Youre wasting firepower by putting them all in one building

Either way, what im getting at, is you can only benefit from putting one squad in most buildings if you want them to actually return fire.. Otherwise the rest will just stand there and not fire back because theres no window to shoot out of.

Be careful with buildings with no windows or a small amount of windows, such as this shack. Theyre especially death traps for MG's.

NOW there are times where you CAN put two squads in a building and it will make perfect sense, but only with team weapons.
Why?

because while doing this, enemy squads will target random individual models in a building, So for example if you have a MG and an ostruppen in a church like you did, the enemy will shoot at both the MG and the ostruppen models at the same time, which overall reduces the damage to your MG and ostruppen, unless theres a nade thrown(Which if this happens, you will take huge damage to both squads inside, like what happened to you during this game.)

So this:

was okay, but its risky.( I wouldnt do it myself) just watch for nades if enemy infantry get too close, and dont make a habit of doing this.

Enemy vehicles...

Again You did an amazing job for being new. You wiped alot of your opponents squads, and you had a bunch of light vehicles.
The USF m15A1 halftrack you fought against SHREDS ostheer vehicles,unless you flank it with the 222, or have a pak40 ready. However, you have access to teller mines which one shot all usf, soviet, and british light vehicles.

When you take an advantage against uSF early game, ALWAYS plant tellermines vs their vehicles as its their only reliable mechanism of comeback.

Here are some good teller mine spots on this map:(Place the teller mines where you see "Game Paused")

They also do extreme damage to the Pershing tank that you encountered. You clearly seemed unprepared, as it came ' out of nowhere'. considering your advantage.

Its decently dealt with by Pak40's and the STUG assault guns, you just didnt have them when it arrived. Mainly because you overinvested into light vehicles without finishing the game. But youre new, so thats ok.

So Ill kinda slow down feedback now unless you have more specific questions... but those things are why I believe you struggled this game.
28 Mar 2016, 22:23 PM

Thanks, that's some great info. Most games seem to go this way for me. I start out strong but then get outplayed and lose. In a past life I was a 1v1 Warcraft 3 player with over 6K matches played online. My tactic every game was to be in their face, non-stop harassing and trying to end the game within the first 10 minutes. I'm trying to do the same in COH 2. I thought Ostheer would be good for this because of AssGrens and Osttruppen which allow for early game map control.

I didn't know about the window part. I just assumed the more people inside the building the more firepower lol.

Mines are something I always know I should do, but I never seem to remember to do it in the heat of the match. I've probably lost a bunch of games simply because the enemy could come back with an AEC/T-70/Stuart and I had no early counter for it.

Thanks for the feedback!
28 Mar 2016, 22:28 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

no problem!

That mindset is a great high level mindset. You had that guy on his ass. Just more mines, have AT prepared and you'll be on your way. :)
28 Mar 2016, 22:35 PM

Thanks. What are some decent doctrines? My current lineup when going into a match is Mech Assault / Osttruppen and third is either Mobile Defense or Elite Troops.

The thing is, I hate Ostheer tier 1 because I just can't seem to keep grens alive and MG's are already available, so I usually either get AssGrens or Osttruppen with an MG42 and then go to tier 2 for some light vehicles and then a Pz 4.

Is OKW better perhaps? Volks seems to be useful all game long and I like the Luchs as an early shock tank that can't be killed by MG's unlike the 222.
28 Mar 2016, 22:59 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thanks. What are some decent doctrines? My current lineup when going into a match is Mech Assault / Osttruppen and third is either Mobile Defense or Elite Troops.

The thing is, I hate Ostheer tier 1 because I just can't seem to keep grens alive and MG's are already available, so I usually either get AssGrens or Osttruppen with an MG42 and then go to tier 2 for some light vehicles and then a Pz 4.

Is OKW better perhaps? Volks seems to be useful all game long and I like the Luchs as an early shock tank that can't be killed by MG's unlike the 222.

You got the doctrines and faction For your playstyle I think. Those are the best aggression doctrines ostheer has, Especially for early-mid game.

Make sure you build T1 "eventually". Skipping it initially is fine, but it barely costs anything past the early game. Skipping it outright or forgetting to build it denies you the ability to use Panzerfausts on ostruppen, so be very careful doing that.

OKW is stupidly strong, some say overpowered. They can be literally anything. They're very Aggressive in all stages of the game, and have good(but not the best in game)defensive options. They get dicked hard by British, or Soviet maxim spammers though usually.
You do seem to do well with ostheer, so for the moment I'd stick with them, learn them, and master them. Become a god. In the meantime, and to switch it up, you can play some british(don't buy advanced emplacements doctrine if you do,it's a p2w crutch)

Ostheer skills translate very well to British skill because the factions play very similarly, with certain differences obviously. So right there, you got an Allied and an axis faction under your belt.

You can also grasp USF and soviets very easily based off the way you play, as they're all about aggression and light vehicle play as well.
28 Mar 2016, 23:06 PM

I would replace Mech Assault with Lightning War personally. You have loads of early game options and appear to be a very aggressive player. However by only having doctrines in your loadout that cater to the early game you take away your ability to have a sufficient late game.

Lightning War includes

Jaeger Light Infantry upgrade: which is cheap and makes Grenadiers very effective and all ranges, but especially as close range. It also comes with the rarely used interrogation ability which in the grand scheme of a battle is useless, but in the final push to destroy the enemy and win is invaluable.

Relief Infantry: Allows you to get some tasty osttruppen to help cap up the map and finish the enemy.

Tactical Movement: Used for the same purpose as above. Makes troops move very fast, but can't fire while sprinting.

Tiger Tank: Self explanatory heavy tank, good for closing games and spearheading assaults.

Stuka Close Air Support: Nerf slightly a few patches ago, but still a beast of an ability if you have LOS and the enemy lacks AA (Which they usually do).

That's my case for Lightning War. Other options would be Spearhead Doctrine and Assault Support although the latter of the two is a lot less competitive.
29 Mar 2016, 03:29 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

@CartoonVillain Hey dude, send in your replays to me on Training Tuesdays and I will go through them with you live on Twitch. If you need any advice please feel free to ask :).
29 Mar 2016, 07:13 AM

@CartoonVillain Hey dude, send in your replays to me on Training Tuesdays and I will go through them with you live on Twitch. If you need any advice please feel free to ask :).

That sounds great, thanks!

What time is your stream and what is the link?
29 Mar 2016, 10:47 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

That sounds great, thanks!

What time is your stream and what is the link?

I will do it around 4pm GMT time today @ https://www.twitch.tv/helpinghans. Hope to see you there :).
29 Mar 2016, 11:03 AM

I will do it around 4pm GMT time today @ https://www.twitch.tv/helpinghans. Hope to see you there :).

Thanks, I have subscribed. I don't have any new replays, but whenever you want to do a replay critique can you just use the one in this thread? Thanks.

29 Mar 2016, 11:54 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thanks, I have subscribed. I don't have any new replays, but whenever you want to do a replay critique can you just use the one in this thread? Thanks.

Well it's up to your to post a link of your replay in my twitch chat if you want it to get analysed. First come first served basis.
29 Mar 2016, 11:56 AM

Well it's up to your to post a link of your replay in my twitch chat if you want it to get analysed. First come first served basis.

Ok then. I'm at work but I'll try to join the stream at 4PM.
30 Mar 2016, 12:15 PM

I am thinking of changing my 1v1 commander lineup as follows: osttruppen, spearhead (for the mortar HT) and what's a good third one? Elite troops? Mobile defense? Mech Assault worked for me in the beginning, but against stronger players it seems to be easily countered.
30 Mar 2016, 12:36 PM

I am thinking of changing my 1v1 commander lineup as follows: osttruppen, spearhead (for the mortar HT) and what's a good third one? Elite troops? Mobile defense? Mech Assault worked for me in the beginning, but against stronger players it seems to be easily countered.

Mobile Defense, that is the best commander to fight USF, Puma + Command P4 is enough to counter all USF vehicle (against Pershing, better get a Stug), Ost call in will give you nice capping squad and faust, smoke is always good, alternatively, mech assault if you like Stug E => Tiger, although as OH I learn to not rely on Pak too much against USF due to the danger of it being stolen and the mobility of USF means it will less effective than if using against USSR/UKF. Mobile defense only weakness is that it have no off-map but that doesn't matter against USF.
3 Apr 2016, 04:49 AM

well since people above already give great advises

just throw out a tip

-COH2 your best friend Spacebar + listen unit dialog.

your soldiers communicate with you, that they will call out when they are underfire, enemy going to throw a nade, they losing men very quickly, enemy calling offmap support, they spot an enemy tank going at them. at battle field there is so much dialog going on, some time you hear dialog you don't know where it come from or which unit calls it.

That is where your best friends come in, THE SPACEBAR, you hear some important message like "grande!" you hit spacebar, your screen instantly center at where is this happening. give you some time to react.

PS some dialog is broken (especially UKF unit dead dialog, like once i lost something i don't remember, it says we lost a Churchill tank, and I know i don't have a Churchill as the strongest unit I have is a comwell and i am microing it. LOL) some are non important, you will know when you play more.
3 Apr 2016, 05:25 AM

Mobile defense is always nice to have because it can save your ass in case things dont go as planned. It's not necessarily the commander you want to pick in every game due to its situational nature but it can be very useful if you lose early map control. It basically allows you to skip tech and just go for a puma/command tank combo instead which is much cheaper.
3 Apr 2016, 13:50 PM

well since people above already give great advises

just throw out a tip

-COH2 your best friend Spacebar + listen unit dialog.

your soldiers communicate with you, that they will call out when they are underfire, enemy going to throw a nade, they losing men very quickly, enemy calling offmap support, they spot an enemy tank going at them. at battle field there is so much dialog going on, some time you hear dialog you don't know where it come from or which unit calls it.

That is where your best friends come in, THE SPACEBAR, you hear some important message like "grande!" you hit spacebar, your screen instantly center at where is this happening. give you some time to react.

PS some dialog is broken (especially UKF unit dead dialog, like once i lost something i don't remember, it says we lost a Churchill tank, and I know i don't have a Churchill as the strongest unit I have is a comwell and i am microing it. LOL) some are non important, you will know when you play more.

About audio notice, do note that the grenade! notification is kinda lagged, your soldier only yelled when the grenade landed (I've lost tons of cons to rifle nade due to this), the rest is fine, especially if your Soviet commander got Radio Intercept, pay special attention to audio cue.
5 Apr 2016, 10:27 AM

So I keep seeing the term 'snare' around here. What does it mean exactly?
5 Apr 2016, 12:43 PM
Senior Editor Badge

So I keep seeing the term 'snare' around here. What does it mean exactly?

A snared unit is a unit that moves slower than normal.

Around here it's mostly used in the context of a vehicle receiving an engine critical by hitting a mine or being hit by an anti-tank grenade or Panzerfaust. So, you could "snare a tank" with e.g. a Panzerfaust in order to prevent it from rushing your position or escaping. The device to actively snare a vehicle (e.g. the Panzerfaust) in turn is then also referred to as "a snare".

Infantry can also me snared (e.g. by being exposed to Blendkörper or white phosphorous smoke or simply suppressed), although the term seems to be less used in that context around here...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★