1%
3%
5%
25%
36%
Total votes: 92
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
6 Mar 2016, 15:08 PM

what's the opinion of the community on the ostwind, is it worth or are you better of with a P4 or 2 222 ?
don't look at the faction both have them just look at it as a single unit

please no flame im just asking for opinion to play better
6 Mar 2016, 16:00 PM

Well, imo it's not really worth it. Not that it's UP, but by the time you bo T3 with OH, you must focus on your AT since Allies probably have some light armor on the field and are going for mediums.

It's a niche unit really. Depends on map, your resources, enemy's play style etc. With good micro (both for Ostwind and for you Paks) it is useful.

But still, as OH you are almost always reacting to enemy instead of having initiative so using Ostwind is a bit risky.
6 Mar 2016, 16:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Mar 2016, 16:00 PMRMMLz
Well, imo it's not really worth it. Not that it's UP, but by the time you bo T3 with OH, you must focus on your AT since Allies probably have some light armor on the field and are going for mediums.

It's a niche unit really. Depends on map, your resources, enemy's play style etc. With good micro (both for Ostwind and for you Paks) it is useful.

But still, as OH you are almost always reacting to enemy instead of having initiative so using Ostwind is a bit risky.

ok thanks, so better a P4 or stug as first and build ostwind only if heavy blob or airbone ?
6 Mar 2016, 16:39 PM
Donator 33

If you can lock down a position with 2 Hulldown ostwinds with AT support, nothing is going to get trough them easily, since they have 50 range and rapid fire on hulldown
6 Mar 2016, 16:51 PM

Well actually the ostwinds's performance is really good but elevation always messes it up. If Relic could make it so that elevation couldn't stop the ostwind's fire that would be nice although i dont think i'll be seeing that happen.
6 Mar 2016, 18:09 PM

The Ostwind is not bad, it offers high mobility, AA and AI. But of course going for a Pz4 or a Ostwind first is a situational choice.
6 Mar 2016, 18:13 PM

The Ostwind is not bad, it offers high mobility, AA and AI. But of course going for a Pz4 or a Ostwind first is a situational choice.

yea but to me ostwind is too much rng reliant,some time i think that P4 is better vs inf.
6 Mar 2016, 18:39 PM

I am not a huge fan of the Ostwind except for when I not only want and AI unit but also want an anti-air unit. Its anti air is amazing (or maybe I just have been very lucky a lot), but its anti-infantry capability is 'meh' due to elevation issues.
6 Mar 2016, 18:41 PM

yea but to me ostwind is too much rng reliant,some time i think that P4 is better vs inf.

Yes, its performance can differ from one use to another because of RNG as you said, they could tone down this RNG reliance. I personally think Ostwind is best used versus USF. Especially a double Ostwind tech in a 2vs2 can really wreck havok on USF players if they get used together. It is just okay, far from op but it isn't up either. Maybe people think its up because there are other units that perform just to well for their cost.
6 Mar 2016, 19:15 PM

The rate of fire needs to be increased by %40 at least to be even remotely useful.
6 Mar 2016, 19:17 PM

Way too inconsistent to be worth it. Sometimes it destroys everything it sees (multiple models per shot), other times it seems to do 1hp per shot with 0 splash. Make it a bit more consistent and it would be worth it.

6 Mar 2016, 21:29 PM

ok thanks, so better a P4 or stug as first and build ostwind only if heavy blob or airbone ?

I'm no strategist and at my best I'm around 1K with Ost which isn't impressive. But based on streams and top players' play style, I think you are better off with a PzIV or a Stug or two.
6 Mar 2016, 22:24 PM

The rate of fire needs to be increased by %40 at least to be even remotely useful.

That will make it OP. The problem is with all explosive round vehicles is you need to get them behind units in cover to use the cover as shot blockers to prevent rounds from over shooting. Try it and you will see that it is around 40-55ish % more effective depending on RNG.

Run past the units in cover and watch them drop.
6 Mar 2016, 23:20 PM

6 Mar 2016, 23:42 PM

I feel like the centaur outclasses it by a long shot

Yes it truely does, but damage or rate of fire of Ostwind has to be managed very carefully. The reason is the difference in topspeed and accleration. Centaur is so slow that even a JagdpanzerIV will catch it if it tries to withdraw, so you have to be very cautious on advance to not overextend. So infantry is safe once it moves/retreats out of its fire radius. If the Ostwind would come halfway near to the dps of a Centaur it would be an absolut squad wiping machine, because it would chase all squads down.

In addition you have to see it in the context of their factions. The current Centaur would be a lot more dangerous in the hands of Ostheer. Why? You could go for it first (instead of PzIV) while you could have still strong AT-options in form of double shreks, snares (faust) and PAK. That would be a very strong combination. Brits on the other hand would have to rely on PAK only if not going for Cromwell, its a lot more of a risky move for them. Thats the reason you see mostly Cromwells in current meta.

Balance is a difficult thing, units can't be compared 1on1 without looking at the unit compositions although you are absolutely right about damage comparison.

6 Mar 2016, 23:58 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It's okay. Rather inconsistent, the long reload really hurts the unit if you finish a fight near the end of the magazine. Unless you manually shoot the ground until it reloads you will get stuck with one shot and a 5 second reload right when you want it to be effective.

There is just not much point in getting it, the cost is close enough to the p4 that I would just wait for the p4 in pretty much every situation.
7 Mar 2016, 00:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

With the Ostwind's poor accuracy on the move, it's basically an HMG 42 extension - if you don't feel like your set-up is handling infantry fine but you've got sufficient AT, put those two together. The Ostwind rather needs the 42's suppression if an handheld AT blob pops up, and your 42 might want the Ostwind to quickly kill particularly big suppressed blobs that might overpower it, or cover its flanks. If that combination doesn't feel like something which will work for whatever reason and you don't want the AA, the Ostwind probably isn't the answer for you.

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Mar 2016, 23:58 PMTobis
It's okay. Rather inconsistent, the long reload really hurts the unit if you finish a fight near the end of the magazine. Unless you manually shoot the ground until it reloads you will get stuck with one shot and a 5 second reload right when you want it to be effective.

There is just not much point in getting it, the cost is close enough to the p4 that I would just wait for the p4 in pretty much every situation.

That is more something I'd like for the Ostwind than simple big buffs (like price reduction, fire-rate increase, etc.), adjusting its stats (like reducing the reload time and decreasing the cooldown while decreasing the burst duration) so dealing with its poor accuracy on the move is easier.
7 Mar 2016, 01:15 AM

Another question, is more advantageous to attack ground or to select squad ?(for blob with ostwind )
7 Mar 2016, 02:11 AM

It could use a buff for sure. The only times I use them are if I'm way ahead, hull down dickery or if I really, really, really need AA for some reason.
7 Mar 2016, 02:47 AM

i think its fine as it is. Especially against clumped up models its doing great damage.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★