Login

russian armor

Q about USF

3 Mar 2016, 17:46 PM

Im struggel on with my USF but without any succes! I cant figure it out to use them. I have read the guides and look at lot of replays, but not get it!
Then I play 1 vs 1 i can stand up for about 20 minuts. After that the germans get to strong to me. When I play 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 I dont have a clue how to act. My team mates yel at me "take the fuel poin, take the fuel point" and i do so. After one minut there come a mgs and a mortel and I have to retreat (only have 1 or 2 rifflemens-squads and the startsquad to defence with and thats not so much). So one of my q is. Shall I use my USF squads to support my team-mates or shall i work in lonley?
An other q is. Shall I use the troops offensive or defensive. In the guides iy said "use the offensiv, attack all time". But then I do so i soon or later meat a mg nest and its time to run home to the base!
Is the best tactic to take about 50% of the map and build a strong defence or shall I run in to the fire to keep the germans busy?
I understand that USF not are a noob faction in coh2, it was more easy to play with them in coh1, there they have a equal startopions as the germans!
q 3 is. Have USF some time in the game any advantage, then its maybe time to try to end the match?
I dont give it up get but its hard to motivate after defeat after defeat :)
3 Mar 2016, 17:58 PM

As USF you're not really able to do much in teamgames. You don't have an option for strong lategame units unless you buy certain commanders.

And in team games, the stronger lategame usually wins. The faction with the stronger stock units usually win too since CPs come in much more slowly in larger games.

My advice in teamgames as USF is to totally support your teammates. Flank and harass with any rifles you can get into enemy territory. Your primary objective is to slow down Axis teching. Try to find and kill and OPs, cut them off at any points. The manpower actually doesn't matter more than it does denying the enemy resources.

Any time you can draw your opponents away from the front lines (usually the fuel) it's a win. If you can pull units from the players on your teammates' side, it's a win. Nothing like getting an mg42 to turn and attack your lone harassing rifle to let your teammate finally launch his assault.

Your teammates are the ones who are going to have to get the IS2s or Comets to handle the inevitable Axis heavies. You should build a few Jacksons for defensive support. You could also make a few Shermans to focus on infantry blobs, but they are often just vet for Axis armor.

Since you can't lay mines, you don't have a whole lot of meaningful defensive options. Supporting teammates with pak howies are also a good idea. You can even let them molotov it and steal the gun to use.

Teamgame USF is all about support. If you end up on a team with more than one USF, you're probably going to get overhwlmed after minute 20.
3 Mar 2016, 18:41 PM

Thank you for the answer and advice!
Some time I have decide to only have a few squads and then build OP fuel so my team fast get heavy tanks and I a captain so i can build guns, but not all appreciate that. Is that a bad idea?
3 Mar 2016, 18:53 PM
Patrion 14

USF is the strongest faction in all gamemodes, even in 4s.

If you don't know how to progress watch people people USF in Live Games.

In 1s vs Ost > 3 rifles > LT > m20 > ambu > Cap > calliope / Pershing / Major >
In 1s vs OKW > 4 rifles > Cap > Stuart (with captwin ability) > ambu > pak howie > calliope / Pershing / Major >

after first vehicle and ambu get nades/bars depending how you're losing engagements.
Gren/volk spam > bars
Support wep spam > nades

GL HF
3 Mar 2016, 18:57 PM

Hello!
I see you are a very good USF player! Can u send me some replays so I can see and learn :)
3 Mar 2016, 19:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2016, 18:53 PMLooney

Isn't it dead tier after 222 buff?
3 Mar 2016, 19:24 PM
Patrion 14

Hello!
I see you are a very good USF player! Can u send me some replays so I can see and learn :)

No replays, patches ruin them, just try to focus on the builds, you'll get better and make your own strats then.

In late game you'll notice USF can't overextend anymore, just move in 1 force.

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2016, 19:14 PMNeris

Isn't it dead tier after 222 buff?

Dead because it gets soft countered by the 222? No, when your captain arrives, which is really soon after the m20 odds are again in your favor.
Not to mention when you have a vet 1 rifle Squad close by, the 222 can't really do anything. I would be more afraid of the current double sniper meta then 222s.

If you really have trouble, equip zooks on RE and an extra one on the m20 crew.

3 Mar 2016, 19:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2016, 19:24 PMLooney

No replays, patches ruin them, just try to focus on the builds, you'll get better and make your own strats then.

In late game you'll notice USF can't overextend anymore, just move in 1 force.

Dead because it gets soft countered by the 222? No, when your captain arrives, which is really soon after the m20 odds are again in your favor.
Not to mention when you have a vet 1 rifle Squad close by, the 222 can't really do anything. I would be more afraid of the current double sniper meta then 222s.

If you really have trouble, equip zooks on RE and an extra one on the m20 crew.

Can i ask how the double sniper build Order is like? Trying to get in ostheer 1v1 atm and i always go for 1 sniper (mg-gren-sniper) when to build second one?
Btw can someone move this topic into the strat forum PLS?
3 Mar 2016, 20:21 PM

i believe this is more of a classic l2p by time than a build order issue
3 Mar 2016, 20:30 PM
Patrion 14

Can i ask how the double sniper build Order is like? Trying to get in ostheer 1v1 atm and i always go for 1 sniper (mg-gren-sniper) when to build second one?
Btw can someone move this topic into the strat forum PLS?

I got no idea, literally my least played faction. :foreveralone:

i believe this is more of a classic l2p by time than a build order issue

Though #knowing were to start is a big step :sibHyena:

3 Mar 2016, 21:03 PM

Im struggel on with my USF but without any succes!...snip

When everyone says "USF constantly assaults" it doesn't mean throwing bodies into the meat grinder. Typically it means you have to be aggressive and try to seal out the game before late game hits where USF is the weakest. To do that, you have to be able to take points, cut off Fuel, and control VP's, and of course win engagements.

USF has to switch between splitting up troops to enable wide flanks and attacking a singular point with everything you got. To enable wide flanks you have to have riflemen go a long way and have another riflemen squad scout an enemy's turtle position. Engagements will last a while if you are in a good piece of cover or are too far to take damage, which is how your other riflemen squads flank. USF's effective range is mid to close, but if you are in a great piece of heavy cover it's often better to stay there in a firefight.

Now, if they are super entrenched it's sometimes better to go around and cut them off from their points to force them out(I've had people sit 2 mg's in a building nearby as I decapped his stuff). However, let's say that wide flanks aren't feasible and you are forced to assault a turtle position. Your options in which case would be to smoke and assault with everything you got(Smoke MG's, squads in cover) or build a pak howie and grind them out. Don't pick engagements you'll never win, you'll just bleed. You need to pick engagements you can break through with.

Late game if you don't have premium commanders you are pretty much just spam Jacksons, Priests, or M10's.

OVERALL: Looney has listed some build orders, but if you are new as USF and a new CoH2 player I just suggest going 4x Riflemen into captain into either Stuart, Ambulance, Nades, Pak Howie or Weapon racks to fit the situation. The LT tier requires finesse and if you can't pull it off you may get shut out.

ALSO PRO TIP: If you want to know if a building is occupied, tell your troops to occupy the building from far away. If the building glows red it means a unit(mg probably) is in it. You then cancel your dudes order and left click the building. If it's an MG it will tell you what direction the MG is facing. It's a bug I think, but it'll be your best friend. This will give you the information you need to better plan your assault.
4 Mar 2016, 00:04 AM

USF is one of the strongest, if not the best faction in the game imo. They have the highest winning rate from start, and it diminishes as the game progresses. Longer you take, the less chances you have of winning. A good player knows how to take advantage of early/mid game and win. Dragging the game out will obviously get you owned since that's where axis is the strongest.

Early game... just rush cut off points, flank MG's. Keep the German player on pressure. Force them into a defensive play and just strangle hold them till you get your light armor and upgrades. I usually rush nades to deal with MG's and units behind cover. After I save up to around 180 munis for bars. 3 squads x 60 munis = 180 total.

My build order is usually typical 3-4 Rifles, 1 Captain, (Rangers or Airborne or whatever other unit) Stuart (situational may skip) into major, pumping out at least 2 Shermans or M8 HMC depending on the amount of armor or blobs on the field. Jacksons if you see Panthers. But seriously, game should be over before they field panthers anyway.

Pretty linear play style, kinda boring but it's effective. Vet would boost this playstyle even more but since it doesn't even work atm... be a bit more careful with how aggressive you are with your rifles.

OST has weak infantry, crappy light armor, and mediocre tanks. The Panther is great for stopping Sherman's but that's basically it. Nothing really stops Rifles unless they go full force ostwinds or panzer iv's. Even then, that's pretty easy to deal with unless they got insane micro. Their greatest strength relies in their powerful MG's and AT guns... but that's about it. Try to steal their weapons and wipe their squads out. Their units are very expensive and hard to replace if lost.

OKW has strong infantry, good light armor/tanks and a very solid late game with their panzer IV's and panther's. Usually you lose if they field that KT. So it's a bit harder to win against this faction late game or in general. They have almost no suppression platforms and weak AT guns though. Although very aggressive, they don't have very good defensive capabilities in holding territory besides the flak truck. Cut them off, stall their trucks and whatnot if you can.

That's about all the advice I can give. I mean, it's pretty cut and dry depending on the opponent you face but in general, just keep try to preserve your units.
4 Mar 2016, 05:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2016, 18:53 PMLooney
USF is the strongest faction in all gamemodes, even in 4s.

If you don't know how to progress watch people people USF in Live Games.

In 1s vs OKW > 4 rifles > Cap > Stuart (with captwin ability) > ambu > pak howie > calliope / Pershing / Major >

after first vehicle and ambu get nades/bars depending how you're losing engagements.
Gren/volk spam > bars
Support wep spam > nades

GL HF

4 units holding together an entire faction, the fact that this is the top method of using the usf is damning evidence that the overall design is a bit off (they're not weak just one dimensional)
4 Mar 2016, 05:21 AM
Benefactor 392

Western forces are very flawed, you are more or less better off using eastern factions in my opinion.

I never play USF, i did at first for a long time, but i found it fairly boring to play. It's just my playstyle.

But what does my opinion matter anyway, i'm just a noob
4 Mar 2016, 05:38 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

4 units holding together an entire faction, the fact that this is the top method of using the usf is damning evidence that the overall design is a bit off (they're not weak just one dimensional)

Being balanced around a T0 mortar is too much to ask apparently :(
4 Mar 2016, 08:05 AM
Patrion 14

Indeed USF sacrifies units for multirole units.

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Mar 2016, 05:38 AMVuther

Being balanced around a T0 mortar is too much to ask apparently :(

It would slow USF down imo, thus progressing more into the late, which is fine as well for the USF imo.

Mortar is just not needed for the fact USF got a pak howie and an argueably bad scott.
4 Mar 2016, 09:38 AM

They aren't really good advises in my opinion, I'm sorry.

You can't really rush cutoff and flank MGs at the same time since the MG will cover the cutoff. Rushing cutoff doesn't mean nothing, DevM loves to rush cutoff but it has nothing to do with 99% the player rushing cutoff.

Then Ostheer infantry isn't weak at all. HmG42/Mortar/Sniper/Pzgren aren't weak at all and are the best of their own categories. Grenadiers are weaker than RM, which is different from being unilaterally weak. And the compensation comes from the other infantry support. Now many ppls prefer to go Ostruppen because it is easier early game, it allows you to swarm USF with more troops while Relic hasn't design anything in USF arsenal to counter it, but Grenadiers are still good at what they do.

The OP shouldn't be afraid to lose many games as USF at the beginning. USF isn't an easy faction to learn to play. As stated before, USF infantry is versatile but not specialized which is a weakness for those who don't master RM micro.
Rushing with RMs somewhere - in a blob usually - works to a certain extend. It stop working when you face better opponents.
If USF RM are good and resilient, that's not the case for their armor, being good with USF means knowing how to play with the M20, to deal damage, to keep it alive, even if the 222 has been buffed, the same goes for the Stuart, Sherman and Jackson.
If you can win a game without a M20 or a stuart, only by swarming RMs, this means you were already outskilling your opponent from the beginning.

Last but not least, USF is difficult to play early game simply because its a being aggressive or losing faction. And it quite difficult to be aggressive when you simply don't known all the game mechanisms, the maps, the faction limits etc...

Ostheer and Sov are the get to start faction. Ostheer more than Sov because they provides you all the options to play along your tier progression. You start with pioneers + HMGs, then Grens + infantry support, then light/heavy armor counter + Pzgren, then medium tanks then heavy tanks. Can't be more simple.
Plus the fact you don't need to be aggressive, you simply try to respond what to your opponent does until you get stronger than him and reverse the battle.

OP: continue to play 1vs1, its the best place to improve, switch times to times USF and other factions to get different approach. You'll have progression phases with all Factions.
USF is hard to take in hands, then you understand how to blob, then you'll struggle vs people who know how to counter blobs, then you learn to flank, then you struggle vs people with good HMGs/Sniper micro, then you learn to use effectively your M20 or Stuart, then you face people who know how to deal with those then you get better etc...

Don't be afraid, the game is cool and worth the journey.
4 Mar 2016, 10:23 AM

switch priest with scott pls USF need some late game indirect fire, this game is bullshit that USF is forced to use blobs and all axis factions have non doc rocket arrtilery good design realy i wish i had easy counter for JT like axis faction for blobs :foreveralone: yeah but its ok when i must chose caliope to fight with shreck blobs wp :thumbsup:
4 Mar 2016, 11:10 AM

switch priest with scott pls USF need some late game indirect fire, this game is bullshit that USF is forced to use blobs and all axis factions have non doc rocket arrtilery good design realy i wish i had easy counter for JT like axis faction for blobs :foreveralone: yeah but its ok when i must chose caliope to fight with shreck blobs wp :thumbsup:

want some cheese to that whine?
4 Mar 2016, 12:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Mar 2016, 09:38 AMEsxile
Last but not least, USF is difficult to play early game simply because its a being aggressive or losing faction. And it quite difficult to be aggressive when you simply don't known all the game mechanisms, the maps, the faction limits etc...

It's the easiest faction to play because they are the most basic faction lol. Their tech is so obviously linear... I dunno how you think it's difficult. Rifle spam into M20's, Stuarts and then get your tanks. It really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

When it comes to Ostheer, they either go Osttruppen, hope the spam works or if it fails, they surrender. Unlike USF, if OST get any of their weapon's stolen... it's basically over for them. Be a MG stolen, be a Pak 40 stolen, be a Panzershreck stolen. It just creates more opportunities for USF. The fact that OST has such a heavy weapons team playstyle just opens up all kinds of vulnerabilities that USF doesn't have to worry about since most of the units USF use are just rifles, light vehicles into tanks.

When you play as OST, you need good map reads and weapon setups to stop those rifle squads. 1 wrong MG facing the wrong way or in the wrong area can cost you a game. That's not something you need to worry about with USF because all they do is spam rifles and run around with them. If you're relying on panzer grens to deal with rifles you're in big trouble already.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★