Login

russian armor

Japanese faction

29 Apr 2016, 04:17 AM

Why not? Japan has defeated British and Dutch in Asia and occupied vast area of land, like Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippine, Siam, Burma and etc.
Japan air force even sank two warships easily, try google out HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse.
It would be fun to have a new fraction, Japan is the top choice because they have their own Naval, tanks and of course deadly air force.
29 Apr 2016, 04:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2016, 04:17 AMthliaw
Why not?

The game takes place in Europe.
29 Apr 2016, 08:11 AM

The game takes place in Europe.

then, there is no choices for fans of Afrika Korps
29 Apr 2016, 08:23 AM

The simple facts are that the Japanese relied heavily on infantry and naval/air power. They have almost no armor, and the vehicles they did have were outdated and primitive.

They fought by using traps, ambushes, and camouflage in dense tropical jungles. Getting in close with swords and bayonets.

The style of gameplay that is CoH-2 would not see them fair well. Especially once any real vehicles hit the field.
29 Apr 2016, 14:02 PM

Well,i suppose its apropriate to post this here.

I have been working on a Japan faction mod for a little while now,and recently "completed" it,as in,its in a state that feels to me ready to fully play.

I have made the Japanese faction an underdog faction.Their late game is awful.They dont have heavy tanks,and their only medium is doctrinal.Instead,they focus on infantry and light vehicles.

You can find more info here if you are interested:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/51942/japanese-faction-mod

29 Apr 2016, 14:06 PM

I'd rather see another German faction or combined Italian/German etc.
29 Apr 2016, 15:36 PM

heretics!
Of course it can be done, if only executed well.
Just remember the april fools japanese commanders; they showed that a cool design is possible!

The no-voters' lack of vision is disturbing :P
29 Apr 2016, 15:36 PM

I will make my arguments as to why don't want the Japanese faction in the game.

The faction would primarily be focused on infantry, they would bleed manpower like a stuffed pig. Just like the USF. This would be difficult to balance a faction with a majority of its units being infantry.

Don't even mention the tanks, because they wouldn't last against three SU-76s or even a T-34. They're anti-tank power is somewhat limited since it is very close to the M-42.

While traps would be interesting, the British would have their mortar emplacements and Mattresses to light them up. There is also the Churchill Crocodile to mention...

Another factor to take into account is that air power for the Japanese could be limited since the allies have the Centaur, AA M15, and an M5 to counter it.

Then there is also Relic themselves to factor in. They're still trying to fix the issue of Volksblobs which has plagued the game since WFA was introduced. Not only does it end there, but they now have a Collection Edition on Steam. From what that suggests, they will only focus on balancing the game since it looks like they're finished with additional content.

Not to mention that if the Japanese would be included, those who play the Men of War series will think that this game is trying to be like a wannabe Men of War with 'arcade' features.

There is also the matter of being an overpowered faction at release and the nerfs afterward. However, the future may be bleak for this faction since there is a possibility of ending up on life support. The Brits are a living example since they used to have that status.
29 Apr 2016, 23:38 PM

Not to mention that if the Japanese would be included, those who play the Men of War series will think that this game is trying to be like a wannabe Men of War with 'arcade' features.

Umm, well, fuck 'em?

Worst. Reason. Evar.
29 Apr 2016, 23:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2016, 23:38 PMsquippy

Umm, well, fuck 'em?

Worst. Reason. Evar.
Okay, it was a weak reason to begin with, but take note of my last paragraph. The Japanese faction may end up like the British at some point, permanently. A faction with a great chance of being on life support is not going to last long in the meta of CoH2.
30 Apr 2016, 02:22 AM

Well you know, I have an opinion on this issue, which I've expressed before for whatever little it is worth, but I didn't bother laying it out precisely because that's all it is, and you know what they say about opinions being like arseholes.

All I'm getting at is that concerns about what some players I don't know, who like a game I don't give a shit about, might think of you, is like going to a molly-dropping rave and worrying about what the goths will think of your dress sense.
30 Apr 2016, 02:48 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I disagree with making them an official faction.

I do agree with making a Pacific Theater Mod that focuses on Japan verses China (with US and Commonwealth support).
30 Apr 2016, 03:41 AM

Honestly I think that in order to ever introduce the Japanese, it would have to be as a stand-alone expansion or different game entirely, and come with a new usmc faction in order for it to be balanced.
30 Apr 2016, 10:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2016, 15:36 PMFluffi
heretics!
Of course it can be done, if only executed well.
Just remember the april fools japanese commanders; they showed that a cool design is possible!

Holy crap mate! Looks fantastic!
30 Apr 2016, 11:16 AM

Considering Relic promised to bring the ultimate WW2 experience this includes the Pacific/Africa too.
30 Apr 2016, 12:30 PM

dis community...

whines about balance but wants more factions...
30 Apr 2016, 13:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2016, 10:31 AMcarloff

Holy crap mate! Looks fantastic!

i agree, :snfQuinn:Relic:snfQuinn: should hire the creator.
30 Apr 2016, 13:48 PM
Donator 11

dis community...

whines about balance but wants more factions...

Actually there will never be a good moment for adding a faction. If the game is imballanced most of community will say "we need ballance first", but even if the ballance will ever become good enough to satisfy the whiners (and it won't), people will say "no, the game was in ballanced state before every new faction and it always went to hell so lets leave the game as it is". And yet without adding new factions we would still play sov vs ost all the time...

Actually I think 4 is the perfect number of factions for coh2, but since we already have 5, why not add one more? This moment isn't any worse or better for it than any other in games history.
30 Apr 2016, 14:25 PM

A japanese faction would be an interessant idea.

Some people reject this idea because CoH2 occurs in Europe... But, nothing exclude some pacific maps. And now, as british and american soldiers can fight in the building of Stalingrad, it's clear that CoH2 doesn't follow anymore the realistic way of battles...
Moreover, japanese have fight against american, but also british (singapur, hong kong...) and russia (during the mandchouria battle in august 1945).

However, introduce a new faction will require some adjustements, because the new faction have to get a different core of gameplay than the other factions, and to be clearly balanced with those.

Japan will suffer from some mecanics :

Allied tanks : Japanese aren't well-known for their tanks, which remains inferior to the sherman during the majority of the war. Sherman-like tanks (Type 3 Chi-Nu) were only produced at the end of 1944 and never saw combat (as Japan retained these best tanks in his soil to counter an american invasion).

In the same time, Japan works also on heavy tank (Chi-To and Chi-Ni) whose be the panther and tiger counterpart respectively (two finished prototypes for Chi-To and one unfinished for Chi-Ni at the end of WW2). These can be included in the game as call-in units to counter allied heavies.
Even it was prototype, CoH2 included some (as the infrared scope of OKW). :D

As Japan has mortars, machineguns, antitank guns, artillery cannon,... they need something to differentiate. Maybe use "amphibious" skill (with little boat, amphibious tanks...) that can harass the enemies.
Also, banzai charge, last-man reliabilty (similar to last-man ability of penals from the may balance mod) and kamikaze units can be reliable ideas for them.

In conclusion, apart for heavy tanks, japanese armies have all we need to make a new faction. So, introduce this one won't be so difficult. Nevertheless, the harder thing won't be the introduction, but the balancing of it. Relic try with 5 factions, maybe it will be nearly impossible with 6... :)
30 Apr 2016, 16:37 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Finland new faction.

They fought both the Russians and the Germans.
In winter.

Makes sense.

I had always (wrongly) assumed that Relic would introduce other countries into the game as different commanders. e.g. Poland; Finland; France; Italy; Spain; Hungary; Romania etc It might have had the effect of encouraging their player base to expand more.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★