Login

russian armor

Centaur, Comet, and Churchill

27 Feb 2016, 07:15 AM

Hey everyone,

I have almost exclusively bought Cromwell's and Firefly's in every single match since I've started playing UKF but recently I have been experimenting with the other tanks. The results have been... mixed (to say the least). Are my impressions correct or am I just missing something about these tanks?

My impressions:

Centaur- Good AI but I don't know if I can justify spending 100 fuel (and a considerable amount of manpower) to purchase a mobile vickers when (for just 10 more fuel and a bit more man power) I could have an all purpose Cromwell instead.

Comet- I've read a lot of posts saying that the Comet is really good, but I don't see why. It seems like a slightly stronger Cromwell and... that's it. I don't see any reason to lock out Heavy Engineers to spend the fuel on it.

(regular) Churchill- Easily the worst of the bunch. Not that good against infantry, terrible against tanks (at the stage you get it) and far too expensive for it's ability.

27 Feb 2016, 07:29 AM
Patrion 14

The Centaur is better than you think. Unlike the Cromwell, it forces off Grens much more reliably and faster (which can be crucial and allowing your forces to advance and screen).

Comet is more like a panther, but better AI than panther.

I agree on Churchill. You may as well have gotten another 3 cromwells. While its HP is really good, I find it very hard to tech up to and not enough reward. It can be useful as an extreme late game tank though.
AVA
27 Feb 2016, 09:13 AM

I don't play brits currently, but whenever I am against the Comet, I am amazed how good it is at AI..

It damages/wipes infantry like no tomorrow and is also a good AT.
27 Feb 2016, 09:16 AM

"It can be useful as an extreme late game tank though."

Even as a late game tank they spend longer being repaired than in combat.

Might as well add the cost of a couple of engineer sections on to the top of it.

Heavy tank my arse.
27 Feb 2016, 09:56 AM

(NOTE: Every single Anvil ability is currently bugged/won't work properly. Except for the following two:
- Airburst shells received an OK-ish buff vs infantry
- Repair speed on Heavy Engineers (I haven't verified that it works); armour and construction rate will vanish as you replenish the squad)

Depends on which gamemode you're playing. Note that I am better seasoned at teamgames than in 1vs1's.

In all cases, your choice of tanks should complement your infantry composition (e.g., if you have AT covered with PIATs, you could invest in an AI tank, and vice versa)

Centaur

+ AA capabilities (JU87 loiter is insane, shutting down recon is good)
+ Excellent AI capabilities with the Vet1 ability; just throw a smoke shell on the Centaur and let it rip
- Very bad mobility; only gets bearable at Vet2 & Hammer warspeed

Verdict:
- 4vs4: MUST HAVE (AA is crucial -- Centaur will vet by itself with enemy recon planes)
- 1vs1: liability (dedicated AI, too slow to help/escape)

Comet

+ White phosphorus/Smoke allows your tank to support infantry advances from afar
+ Can survive 2 hits from Elephant/Pak43/Jagtiger and have enough HP to escape
+ Best denial to Ostheer T3 units (due to armour/healthpool)
+ Amazing at kiting (best range for AI cannon in the game + speed)
- Extremely cost-inefficient vs Panthers

Verdict:
- 4vs4: It is a good option to have for the extreme-lategame (Cromwells have a snowball's chance in hell to stay alive)
- 1vs1: Whatever the Comet can do, the Cromwell can do cheaper

Churchill

+ The canon is surprisingly accurate vs infantry
- Pity that it has a short range, and lacks the mobility to kite infantry
- There is absolutely no redeeming quality about this unit anymore (or Anvil specialization)
- Very poor at supporting your other units (no smoke shells; Churchill's smoke ability slows the tank down)
- In this patch, its OP grenades were fixed; now they're normal
- Trivially countered by: Elephant, Jagtiger, Command Panther, Stug spam, JP4

Verdict:
- 4vs4: Never build. Anvil might be worth it when they fix the bugs, though (but again, never build Churchills).
- 1vs1: Why are you going for Anvil, again?
27 Feb 2016, 15:32 PM

Centuar is has a very specific role. punishing Volk blobbers if enemy arty is around. other than that other units can deal with Anti-Infantry.

Comet is basically a late game version of the cromwell, its a flanker tank. Cromwells are bad late game due to the lack of armour, comets takes its place.

Churchills basically just sponge for fireflies instead of cromwells in late game, again because in late game cromwells suck due to a lack of armour.

Cromwells are great but only in mid game. Once multiple panthers or a king comes out they are just a resource waste.

In anygame that goes onto the late game you should always start buying either commets or churchills instead of cromwells. players can beat 2 cromwells with a panther but not a comet (its basically a tie between them)

EDIT: churhills are great in late game 4v4 or 3v3 games but not really 2v2 and 1v1
28 Feb 2016, 07:29 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

+ The canon is surprisingly accurate vs infantry

This made my day.

Churchill is the law. Infantry are against the law.

Check your Privilege at the door.

Deadliest canon.
28 Feb 2016, 13:44 PM

The Churchill opens up hatches on the side of the tank to shoot infantry with machine guns. Any tank with a crew that dedicated to killing the enemy deserves my respect.
1 Mar 2016, 05:46 AM

The comet's white phosphorus has insane range. You see an AT gun thats buging you? Set it on fire while sitting twice its firing arc away. once that's taken care of, you still have a reliable gun, great armor, and great speed. The dealiest late game is the brits, if the enemy is stupid enough to let them get two or more comets.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 74
unknown 19
United Kingdom 241
United States 13
Germany 1
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W