Login

russian armor

Non-Historical skins

27 Feb 2016, 04:39 AM

Wow these upcoming non-historical skins sure do look nice, looking forward to purchasin them...

Oh wait, nvm.

Nice marketing strategy, Lelic. :luvDerp:
nee
27 Feb 2016, 04:41 AM

I'm wondering just what "historical skins" are. Basically paid mod skins? MWNL skins are the only ones specifically mentioned.
27 Feb 2016, 04:55 AM

I'm assuming that, since they are technically called non historical. Maybe they'll be dirt cheap once released? But I don't see the creators liking that their hard work isn't selling well, actually...
27 Feb 2016, 05:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2016, 04:41 AMnee
I'm wondering just what "historical skins" are. Basically paid mod skins? MWNL skins are the only ones specifically mentioned.

The new curated skins that were the winners of the Polycount texturing contest will be added to the ingame store for purchase. They were broken up into two categories: Historical and Non-Historical skins. Enabling the checkbox for Historical Skins on will make it so that you will not see any non-Historical skin that another player is using.

I'd assume this would be turned off by default, and would only disable you from seeing the non-Historical skins; everyone else who doesn't have Historical Skins only checked would still see all skin types.
28 Feb 2016, 15:59 PM
Patrion 14

Having this option to simply ignore the non-historical skins is a must for any semi-historical players. I, for one, already cringe every time I get mixed Allies as an opponent, but I can just about live with that.

Pink Panthers and Anime Shark Tigers cross the line. I would consider the game unplayable after that, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.

So not an entirely pointless market strategy.
28 Feb 2016, 16:32 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2016, 15:59 PMSappi
Having this option to simply ignore the non-historical skins is a must for any semi-historical players. I, for one, already cringe every time I get mixed Allies as an opponent, but I can just about live with that.

Pink Panthers and Anime Shark Tigers cross the line. I would consider the game unplayable after that, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.

So not an entirely pointless market strategy.

+1
28 Feb 2016, 16:34 PM

Non-historical skins are just highly fantasist and not providing the usual camouflage.
28 Feb 2016, 17:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It's too bad dazzle counts as a non-historical skin.
29 Feb 2016, 04:29 AM

The point of these cosmetics is partly to make your vehicles better looking, and partly to show off. Knowing that the latter is not happening to a portion of the players makes getting the non-historical skins a bit less enticing than historical skins. In CS:GO, would I buy this expensive knife if there was an option to turn off weapon skin visuals? I wouldn't, and I don't think a lot of players would. (Is there an option? In CSGO I mean, like maybe tweaking some game files or anything like that?)

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2016, 15:59 PMSappi

You are referring to custom mods from the Workshop that players install, which would require you to have them installed to see them. What I am talking about is the new Warpaint winners' non-historical skins. I do not think they are as obnoxious as weeaboo skins now, do you?
29 Feb 2016, 05:26 AM

I'm not sure what counts as "historical" and what doesn't, given that, in the Soviets case, only about 2 skins (and the default one) are actually to be found in the history. Similar with the Americans, (blue and yellow lines on yankee tanks? WTF?!). The Germans mostly get away with it, though some of their skins, whilst based on reality, are so poorly realised as to be absurdly unrealistic. (that pink and yellow german one is the worst offender)
29 Feb 2016, 09:07 AM
Patrion 14

You are referring to custom mods from the Workshop that players install, which would require you to have them installed to see them. What I am talking about is the new Warpaint winners' non-historical skins. I do not think they are as obnoxious as weeaboo skins now, do you?

I'm referring to the Tiger Shark, Anaconda, Wood & Iron, Dazzle and Hellbound skins that won the War Paint Contest. And the Blood skins, glad I will never again have to see those again. I could have lived with Dazzle, though.
29 Feb 2016, 09:12 AM

In addition, the caunter scheme in CoH2 falls into the same trap. Wrong shades on the green and tan, blue shouldn't even be there.
29 Feb 2016, 16:35 PM

I'm not sure what counts as "historical" and what doesn't, given that, in the Soviets case, only about 2 skins (and the default one) are actually to be found in the history.

Ikr, I feel like a lot of the skin sets are based off questionable sources and/or a photograph of something like a random tank that's been customized by its own crew. So when Warpaint rolled around, I thought Relic was finally abandoning the "realism" that this game "had". :snfCHVGame:

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Feb 2016, 09:07 AMSappi

I'm referring to the Tiger Shark, Anaconda, Wood & Iron, Dazzle and Hellbound skins that won the War Paint Contest. And the Blood skins, glad I will never again have to see those again.

You said "Pink Panthers and Anime Shark Tigers", so I thought you meant custom mods.

But my point is still valid, right guys? If you want to customize your scheibe with the scheibe you like, you can always mod it from the workshop or create your own mods. But if you want to customize your scheibe *and* show it off, you will want to use official skin sets --and for the non-historical skin sets, it would be mostly pointless (as some people will opt to have the option turned on, probably because of the scheibey blood skins).

The only way I could see this being justified is if the non historical sets were priced cheaper. But I don't think it would be fair to the creators, as they would receive less money from the cheaper price and less sales (because of the skins' reduced "show-off" factor).
29 Feb 2016, 16:39 PM

Also, sorry if I'm rambling about something insignificant compared to all the bugs and balances and whatnot that are more important.

But y'know, all the important topics are there now, so i thought I'd whine about this instead. Kappa.
29 Feb 2016, 23:53 PM
Patrion 14

Didn't really see the difference between the actual non-historical ones and Pink Panther mods..

From what I understand, and judging by all the Blood skin users and Kim-Jong Il-decals in custom games, a lot of people couldn't care less for any semblance of authenticity (I hesitate to say 'realism'), so there may be a lot more of people not ticking that box to opt out than you think.

I think this was the best compromise between going all out with fantasy skins and unfunny stuff and keeping it strictly quasi-historical.

But yea, they could be sold at a lower price. It might be a disincentive to make weird skins, but creators have less restrictions and can make more kinds of them. Compensate by mass producing, no?
29 Feb 2016, 23:58 PM
Donator 11

Little offtopic: When those skins from War Paint Contest will be added to store and available to purchase?:huhsign:
nee
1 Mar 2016, 00:35 AM

I think I understand the situation: it seems "historical/ non-historical skins" are basically custom skins that are sold in the in-game store, and the option to turn them off is basically the same as disabling custom aesthetics, which does the same thing, but presumably, only for stuff you subscribe from the Workshop.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★