Login

russian armor

ESL Versus - Nice addition or silly idea?

Does this sound like something you would like to have?
Option Distribution Votes
67%
33%
Total votes: 21
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
5 Feb 2016, 15:33 PM

Much Rawr to you all.

I've noticed in several threads that there seem to be plenty of people who are looking to play games via ESL but have found that the skill level seems too high, putting players off from participating and that a better system for fair games would be a good thing.

I think we all also know that good fair balanced games is few and far between at times in the automatch. And that the in-game automatch system is lacking in a few areas. People leaving can mess up your own stats in random searches and such things.

Introducing ESL Versus I think might introduce a positive change on both improved games overall and allow people to participate in E-Sports events against players of your own caliber. A way in to your #Esports Career.

So what is Versus?

It is ESL's own integrated system for Ranked matches, and it is in use in a large number of games on ESL already. It was designed as a way to bridge the gap between "just playing" and playing in a competitive ladder.

I believe that this system can be the key to getting more people into playing #E-sports. Making sure everyone is able to compete with players of their own caliber, when they want it and more times that just that one game a week you are Roflstomped by a much higher ranked player.

It also would automate away most of the hassle of being part of a ladder. Such as trying to find your opponents for that week, trying to get a timeslot that works etc. Just jump on and have a look for some dank games!

Now how about those pesky annoying leavers, won't they still be an issue?
Well sure they will still leave/be AFK. However you can mark these people as leavers and if the remaining players in the match mark that person a "leaver" after the match, the shorthanded team will not have a decrease in points due to loosing.
Loosing a 3v3 because that one guy ran his blob of death into a Panzerwerfer strike and then rage-quitted? No problem, you won't loose score over it.

Naturally Report functions exist for other infractions as well.

You can read a full FAQ of the more practical side of things here!

So is this something the CoH2 community would be interested in having, or am I way off the mark?

Somenbjorn
Speaking as Staff for ESL Europe CoH2
5 Feb 2016, 16:16 PM

I'd like to get semi competitive without having to verse the best.
5 Feb 2016, 16:34 PM
Coder Red Badge

I seem to recall there being a ladder integrated into the game itself.
5 Feb 2016, 16:39 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Much Rawr to you all.

I've noticed in several threads that there seem to be plenty of people who are looking to play games via ESL but have found that the skill level seems too high, putting players off from participating and that a better system for fair games would be a good thing.

I think we all also know that good fair balanced games is few and far between at times in the automatch. And that the in-game automatch system is lacking in a few areas. People leaving can mess up your own stats in random searches and such things.

Introducing ESL Versus I think might introduce a positive change on both improved games overall and allow people to participate in E-Sports events against players of your own caliber. A way in to your #Esports Career.

So what is Versus?

It is ESL's own integrated system for Ranked matches, and it is in use in a large number of games on ESL already. It was designed as a way to bridge the gap between "just playing" and playing in a competitive ladder.

I believe that this system can be the key to getting more people into playing #E-sports. Making sure everyone is able to compete with players of their own caliber, when they want it and more times that just that one game a week you are Roflstomped by a much higher ranked player.

It also would automate away most of the hassle of being part of a ladder. Such as trying to find your opponents for that week, trying to get a timeslot that works etc. Just jump on and have a look for some dank games!

Well sure they will still leave/be AFK. However you can mark these people as leavers and if the remaining players in the match mark that person a "leaver" after the match, the shorthanded team will not have a decrease in points due to loosing.
Loosing a 3v3 because that one guy ran his blob of death into a Panzerwerfer strike and then rage-quitted? No problem, you won't loose score over it.

Naturally Report functions exist for other infractions as well.

You can read a full FAQ of the more practical side of things here!

So is this something the CoH2 community would be interested in having, or am I way off the mark?

Somenbjorn
Speaking as Staff for ESL Europe CoH2

yeah!
I just play esl anyway and get rekt.
5 Feb 2016, 17:21 PM

I seem to recall there being a ladder integrated into the game itself.

Of course! Which is why I put this poll up. However Versus has things the ingame ladder doesn't have. The ability to specify rules for competitive matches, having the ability of reaching out to a support team if you think a match wasn't done properly, making sure Leavers/AFK players can be penalized while their teammates are not etc etc.
5 Feb 2016, 18:25 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I think that's the point of the ESL open ladder, but currently there is nothing set up for it.
5 Feb 2016, 19:34 PM

I think that's the point of the ESL open ladder, but currently there is nothing set up for it.

Alas.
5 Feb 2016, 21:01 PM

The reason Im asking is because we want to see if there is any interest in this before we set it up. :)
5 Feb 2016, 21:22 PM
Coder Red Badge

Honestly, it would be a waste of time, because a ladder like this isn't good for the type of player you want to target. It isn't good for mid-level players who want to experience more competitive play, it's good for high-level players who get very little out of the integrated automatch ladder because of the lack of suitable competition.

For an average player, a ladder like this is inferior to automatch in pretty much every single way.

It was designed as a way to bridge the gap between "just playing" and playing in a competitive ladder.

So is built-in automatch.

Making sure everyone is able to compete with players of their own caliber, when they want it and more times that just that one game a week you are Roflstomped by a much higher ranked player.

Literally the definition of automatch, expect automatch has more players, more data with which to make accurate matches, and less time wasted by the player attempting to find a game. You won't find better matches on an unofficial ladder that has a fraction of the players and a fraction of the data required to make sensible matches.

Open CoH2, click "search", and tada! You're part of a ladder.

That's all nice and all until you realize you need to hope 5 other players of similar skill in this very small community are online and looking for games on this even smaller unofficial ladder at exactly the same time you are. You won't have to worry about leavers because you'll never play a game.

There have been unofficial CoH ladders before. They've never worked because the community is too small and they're less convenient and functional than the official offerings. If you're a high-level player who stomps ladder games, you might be willing to accept some of the downsides in order to have more consistent matches. But an average player will find better matches faster in automatch than they ever will on a tiny little third party ladder.

ESEA and Face.it work because they have more players on their ladders than CoH2 has players period. A CoH2 equivalent would be a colossal waste of time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★