Login

russian armor

Remove Auto-Cover from Game

4 Feb 2016, 05:39 AM

This was a change from one year ago and a terrible change. Micro control of units is a near impossibility near cover as units will always default to cover position. Even with orientation, units move unpredictably. Cover should be a conscious choice and happen when units are oriented not when you click on an area.
4 Feb 2016, 14:09 PM

I have experienced this myself and it can be very frustrating. Especially when capturing points, or at least you think you are capturing but in reality the men got glued to a bit of cover just outside the cap zone.

Maybe change how it interacts with cap zones? though I am sure that would be a bitch to program.
4 Feb 2016, 14:12 PM

Cover should be a conscious choice and happen when units are oriented not when you click on an area.

This is how Guards, LTs and Captains acted. It was terrible and was gladly fixed just recently. Shocks still have this kind of "feature".
Only Relic postRelic 4 Feb 2016, 17:45 PM
Developer Relic Badge

This was a change from one year ago and a terrible change. Micro control of units is a near impossibility near cover as units will always default to cover position. Even with orientation, units move unpredictably. Cover should be a conscious choice and happen when units are oriented not when you click on an area.

I'll pass this to the designers, I don't know of any plans to changes this. Thanks
4 Feb 2016, 17:54 PM

This is a bug?
4 Feb 2016, 18:05 PM
Donator 22

there was a suggestions on that a while ago: one squad entity should be force to stand where the player clicked that way there is no annoying magnetic effect when capping or microing otherwise, dont know how hard it would be to implement that without bugs or the entire squad sticking to that point
4 Feb 2016, 18:05 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I have experienced this myself and it can be very frustrating. Especially when capturing points, or at least you think you are capturing but in reality the men got glued to a bit of cover just outside the cap zone.

Maybe change how it interacts with cap zones? though I am sure that would be a bitch to program.
I think that is what most people encounter. It gets me on my nerves so much when my squad doesnt cap even though i clicked in the middle of the capture point
4 Feb 2016, 18:06 PM
4 Feb 2016, 18:43 PM

I notice very often that I send a squad to cap a point and 30sec later I see them squeezed behind the nearest cover but out of the circle :foreveralone:
4 Feb 2016, 19:15 PM

It's not perfect, but it's vastly preferable to what it was before. Now you don't have to spend 10 seconds during battle arranging your squads in order to be sure they're getting the cover bonus. Capping can occasionally be frustrating, true, but the dots showing the entity positions are always accurate, so if you pay attention to them you can make sure the squad is in the circle.
4 Feb 2016, 19:23 PM

no its a feature

Why is it in the bugs category then?
4 Feb 2016, 19:24 PM
Patrion 28

Why is it in the bugs category then?

there is not a "features" category; that's a bug.
4 Feb 2016, 19:55 PM
Patrion 27

Two issues: The snap-to-cover distance is too far away. Like OP said, units shouldn't seek cover unless you right-click and drag to orient the unit in cover.

Many of the capture points in the game have cover just outside of the capping territory which makes units snap out of the CP.
4 Feb 2016, 20:39 PM

I've honestly never had this issue.

Just place them in cover at cap points instead of clicking on the minimap or whatever.

Autocover has been around since CoH1. It ain't going away.
11 Feb 2016, 06:22 AM

As I recall, the snap distance to cover was increased at the same time as they increased the number of spots behind cover.

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's probably as simple as reducing a single value to at least half of its current one. It is pointlessly frustrating in its current state, especially since cover is almost always positioned just outside capture areas and infantry will snap to it around a third of the way into the capture area.
11 Feb 2016, 06:46 AM
Patrion 14

This is a non-issue. If you don't want your squad to seek cover, press the stop button once.

Before this was here, it was very hard to get squads behind cover, which led to engagements not going well.

Another way to mitigate this is to look at the little unit "shadows" when you are ordering your troops somewhere. If the shadows clump around cover, issue the order slightly to the side.
12 Feb 2016, 05:57 AM

This is a non-issue. If you don't want your squad to seek cover, press the stop button once.

Before this was here, it was very hard to get squads behind cover, which led to engagements not going well.

Another way to mitigate this is to look at the little unit "shadows" when you are ordering your troops somewhere. If the shadows clump around cover, issue the order slightly to the side.

You obviously have never played any computer game on a high-level competitive level. Units need to move predictably and consistently and the game shouldn't throw such idiotic roadblocks into your control of the game. Every other competitive esports game is designed in such a way that you will know how your character or units will respond and move on in order to better multitask.

Having to wait and see what the pips show or what the shadows show vastly decreases apm and the ability to multitask.

People who say that it's better than before are only partially right. It's better in some ways and worse in others and overall far inferior to every other top Esports game out there. Both changes were completely unnecessary, vCOH had movement that was fairly predictable but this game is utter nonsense sometimes in the way units just bounce back and forth like pudding morons.
12 Feb 2016, 10:39 AM
Patrion 14

You obviously have never played any computer game on a high-level competitive level. Units need to move predictably and consistently and the game shouldn't throw such idiotic roadblocks into your control of the game. Every other competitive esports game is designed in such a way that you will know how your character or units will respond and move on in order to better multitask.

Umm... You do know what your units are going to do. If you put your cursor right next to cover and right click there, the units will take cover. If you don't want to be in cover, you could click slightly to the side, or press the stop button.

People who say that it's better than before are only partially right. It's better in some ways and worse in others and overall far inferior to every other top Esports game out there. Both changes were completely unnecessary, vCOH had movement that was fairly predictable but this game is utter nonsense sometimes in the way units just bounce back and forth like pudding morons.

You might want to play vCOH again, its has just as bad if not worse pathfinding than COH2. The only thing better in vCOH is vehicle pathing, and that is because of the fact that VCOH vehicles have a much faster rotation rate, which is something I would like to see in COH2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight