Login

russian armor

Top 7 reasons as why this game won't be truly #EsportsReady

• This thread is locked
19 Jan 2016, 18:26 PM

One reason is IMO that Relic doesn't REALLY interact with or listen to the community enough. When I look at another game's forums (by Ubisoft) there's an entire forum section where the devs receive feedback and suggestions about the game and they answer to the community's requests on a daily basis on all of the forum sections.

I still feel like Relic is "out there" somewhere and occasionally they do some stream to discuss things which they can't really comment on. Still most of the issues the community has been wanting to see fixed are still there. Miragefla's CoH 2 competitive mod would already boost the game's eSports levels by roughly 925 and it was made by one guy. Also Cruzz made the Kappatch a while back, I believe that went pretty much unnoticed by Relic as well.
19 Jan 2016, 18:27 PM

but I don't care :romeoPls:

you should
19 Jan 2016, 18:48 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2016, 17:17 PMWygrif

I don't think RNG automatically make a game non-competitive, so long as the player has the tools to manage it. (Take poker for example.) TBF though, I'm not sure that CoH2 really does give the player enough tools. I think that it'd be much improved by offering more tells in general to the opposing player.

True, the game gives them the tools to a certain degree with the abilities that experience/upgrades bring, but it still has a certain level of RNG that is unpredictable but can decide a game outcome in a positive/negative way (especially in 1v1). Imo the fact it can be so deciding is something that shouldn't be there.
19 Jan 2016, 18:53 PM
Patrion 14

If you say so :guyokay:

Wait a second, you said you deinstalled the game. Why you still on here shitposting?
19 Jan 2016, 19:05 PM

Permanently Banned
Stafkeh DansGame
19 Jan 2016, 19:08 PM

Why should I take someone who calls himself Idiot seriously?
19 Jan 2016, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2016, 16:01 PMGiaA
lol who actually believes that the reason coh2 is never gonna become an esport lies in the gameplay sector?

Some actual reasons:

1. There aren't enough competitive players. Because of that automatch doesn't offer a decent competitive training environment which leads to people not becoming better which in turn makes it impossible to aquire a decent competitive playerbase. There's also no one who wants to play custom matches people still prefer automatches over custom games for more effective training.

2. CoH2 has never been marketed as an Esport or even a multiplayer game. Most reviews I've read consider CoH2 a singleplayer game with the multiplayer as some sort of "arcadish" additional gimmick. The public perception of the CoH2 MP basically couldn't be further away from being an Esport.

etc etc

THIS. They failed hard at any small attempts for marketing the game in a multiplayer perspective, the main focus up until 6 months ago was always Singleplayer, sadly. I.e. balance being off from the get go, DLC overload, multiplayer always being a "work in progress", lack of respect to players, bugs, optimization issues, false promises etc.. They have made progress, admittedly, but at a very slow pace(2 and a half years to be exact.)
19 Jan 2016, 19:38 PM
Donator 11

I'm not judging wheather the game is "e-sports ready" or not becouse it is up to audience, not players but there is no single true statement in your post OP :D
19 Jan 2016, 19:53 PM

Meh, regardless of whether everything the OP said was incorrect/a l2p issue, I have to agree with the general concept he wishes to push, that Coh 2 is not Esports ready, simply because of its reliance on artillery, and most importantly RNG. Looking at other games such as League, and Dota, and Csgo, which are very massive games after coming out a long time ago, and very competitive, we can see how player skill and how fast you can micromanage matter, but in Coh 2 it more about abusing the meta. Once you've done that, then skill comes into play. Not hard to maxim spam OKW player into oblivion, not hard to LEIG spam Brit player into the abyss, not difficult to mine Ost player into his grave, yet Relic continues to fix the game, which I support whole heartedly. Because I do believe they can make the game somewhat decent to it's predecessor, but at this point it's fairly safe to say that they are simply just trying to milk it for what it's still worth, or coh3 is in the works.
19 Jan 2016, 20:00 PM

Most of the stuff OP says (that could be applied to to other games) exists in another form in games that are Esports. I'll use Hearthstone as an example. If you don't know HS is a card game. You'll probably have to know something about the game to get the examples but I guess that's just how it is.

Lack of Counterplay- There are many "decks" that have no counterplay to other decks. (For example Some "decks" do not really interact with the Opponent's cards much, or have Counterplay against some strategies. (ex. Druid having no real board clears as well as Hunter in general being unable to interact with your opponent's cards.)

P2W- Yep. Most of the "meta" decks that see play in tournaments in hearthstone take either a lot of grinding or money to get.

USF- See Secret Paladin or any of the other "decks" in Heathstone that players would tell you are "breaking the meta".

Flawed Design- Hearthstone in general, is a game where you play minion (w/ certain attack and defense), that will attack your opponent's minions in order for you to gain an advantage on the game board. (ex. you have more minions or stronger minions on the board). You are helped by spells that will remove your opponent's minions from the board. However, as mentioned before, Hunter is a class that is completley unable to do this. (For reasons that require more understanding of the game, so I won't mention that here) Yet, this does not break the game as an Esport.

Not to mention the fact that its a card game, so around 50% of the game is working with your RNG.

Arbitrary, Unwarranted balance changes- The developers of HS have introduced new changes that have instantly "broken" the meta.

Yet, HS is still a decent sized esports with tens of thousands to hundred thousand dollar prizes.
19 Jan 2016, 20:16 PM

In my opinion Hearthstone is really bad example of Esport. Everything you said is true and as a consequence
the outcome of a match could be that the better player easily can loose a match. (The single game can be easily lost due to RNG and torunaments are played usually to BO5) So there is a big chance that fairly good player can beat the top level player just because of luck. That shouldn't be the case in my opinion and it's really bad example of e-sport. hearthstone is E-sport just beacuse Blizzard thinks it's a great idea and game isn't Esport ready, not even in 10%. The outcome of a match should depend on a player skill not RNG (to achive this in hearthstone you have to play a match to something like BO25) :) However I don't think that RNG is a big problem in COH2. best players have a 80-90% winrate so they can manage to deal with unlucky situations. (in hearthstone bes player have 59% win in torunament games)
19 Jan 2016, 20:24 PM

More pointless threads, watch them get locked.
19 Jan 2016, 22:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Most of the stuff OP says (that could be applied to to other games) exists in another form in games that are Esports. I'll use Hearthstone as an example. If you don't know HS is a card game. You'll probably have to know something about the game to get the examples but I guess that's just how it is.

Lack of Counterplay- There are many "decks" that have no counterplay to other decks. (For example Some "decks" do not really interact with the Opponent's cards much, or have Counterplay against some strategies. (ex. Druid having no real board clears as well as Hunter in general being unable to interact with your opponent's cards.)

That's why you play with at least 3 decks. The strats and mindgames starts from the moment you build and choose the decks.
Uninteractive "op" decks have been nerf into oblivion or at least reduced their power level. (See mountain giant Warrior, Freeze, Miracle, Patron)

P2W- Yep. Most of the "meta" decks that see play in tournaments in hearthstone take either a lot of grinding or money to get.

First of all, its a TCG. Second it's a F2P game. Besides Wallet warrior, you can obtain a "competitive" deck on a month or 2. Here we have a warspoil system which is stuck in phase 1.
It's easier to obtain "complete" (read as having all expansion and most important cards) collection than to get all commanders.

USF- See Secret Paladin or any of the other "decks" in Heathstone that players would tell you are "breaking the meta".

Nah. Secret paladin is like blobbing. Mindless playstyle but effective on some occasions. People don't wanna use counters (Freeze mage, Priest, etc.)

Flawed Design- Hearthstone in general, is a game where you play minion (w/ certain attack and defense), that will attack your opponent's minions in order for you to gain an advantage on the game board. (ex. you have more minions or stronger minions on the board). You are helped by spells that will remove your opponent's minions from the board. However, as mentioned before, Hunter is a class that is completley unable to do this. (For reasons that require more understanding of the game, so I won't mention that here) Yet, this does not break the game as an Esport.

On the TCG you could say you have Aggro, midrange, control, tempo, combo, mill archetypes of decks. I guess if we have to compare it with CoH, it would be like saying that Hunter tends to be a more oriented aggro/early faction (USF). It can play to the late game (midrange) but it but not really late late game (control). Similar we could talk about Brit/Priest which are more late/control game oriented

Flaw designed is limited decks, game modes and a bad ranking system (imagine if after each month, ELO was reset). Maybe card limit (teching for CoH) or hero power (hmm commander system?) could be said to flaw design although not necessarily bad per se.

Not to mention the fact that its a card game, so around 50% of the game is working with your RNG.

There's good and "bad" RNG. Planes crashing or up to certain point abandoned could be compared to unstable portal or shredder dropping a doomsayer or similar.

Arbitrary, Unwarranted balance changes- The developers of HS have introduced new changes that have instantly "broken" the meta.

The soul of the cards!
They had release broken cards but they have somehow fixed them/killed them. Balance changes have killed decks but not made OP decks (Miracle, buzzard, undertaker, Warsong).

Yet, HS is still a decent sized esports with tens of thousands to hundred thousand dollar prizes.
Blizzard
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS