Login

russian armor

Strats for 1 vs 1 Brits besides Turtle

12 Jan 2016, 20:07 PM

yeah, so I'm really having trouble making it to the mid and late game, having to rely only on Vickers, IS, mortars and the 6 pounder, it makes for a stressful and predictible game, and depending on skill level it either works as planned or fails horribly. We all know the diversity for other strategies from other factions, but with Brits I'm kind of confused.
12 Jan 2016, 20:31 PM

yeah, so I'm really having trouble making it to the mid and late game, having to rely only on Vickers, IS, mortars and the 6 pounder, it makes for a stressful and predictible game, and depending on skill level it either works as planned or fails horribly. We all know the diversity for other strategies from other factions, but with Brits I'm kind of confused.

I think they are plagued by faction design again... just like CoH1. Linear teching, with all the best units late game. What if you experimented with stuff like early 5 man squads, going for boys AT rifle spam, going royal engineers, etc?
12 Jan 2016, 20:32 PM

I think a lot of players are going the IS + Sniper into fast Cromwell route these days. Goal is to fast tech (avoid emplacements and AEC unless you really need it ) and get out Cromwell ASAP to maximize its shock value. Mid game you focus on holding out with well placed Vickers and 6 Pounders to combat light vehicles and use Brit Sniper to force retreats and cause MP bleed. Upgrade with Brens when you can to gain infantry advantage.

Idea is to snowball into Vetted IS with double Brens and solid Brit late game.

Its still rough sledding because Brits are pretty bad at 1v1 at the moment but with well microed Sniper play you can do pretty good.
12 Jan 2016, 20:34 PM

There's no saving Brits this patch.
You have to outplay your opponent in the early game. Then use the mid-game to stall until you can build a critical mass.

1. On open maps you can afford to go for a UC against Wehr. But avoid it in all other cases.
2. The vickers HMG works well against both factions, especially on more crowded maps. They're decent at clearing houses so long as they're in cover.
3. If you survive to the early mid-game, you aim for the Cromwell.
4. If you have an AT gun at that point, you can boost your IS.
5. The late game is about taking out armor. Aim for a Comet on cluttered maps, AT guns on open maps.
6. Always mine during late game.
12 Jan 2016, 20:41 PM

Why dont you upload some replays of your play? Im sure there are one or two chaps that could help you out.
12 Jan 2016, 22:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 20:41 PMJewdo
Why dont you upload some replays of your play? Im sure there are one or two chaps that could help you out.

Meh, I don't see it necessary, I like learning through failure and corrections rather then advice, although I don't ignore it. I was just wondering what the general population at coh2.org do.
12 Jan 2016, 22:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 20:31 PMNosliw

I think they are plagued by faction design again... just like CoH1. Linear teching, with all the best units late game. What if you experimented with stuff like early 5 man squads, going for boys AT rifle spam, going royal engineers, etc?

Do you like bolster? I've found that it interferes with my late game comp and haven't used it much.
13 Jan 2016, 00:54 AM

Haven't had much luck with AECs though a Bofors helps me shift my forces in the early mid game to put pressure on a second VP.

Early game is securing fuel, munitions and a VP.

I'd prefer not to rely on emplacements if I could help it but seems like the only way. Big or open maps always see me crushed unless I build a bofors. Other than that, same units. Can't find any use for the UC other than as a command vehicle.

Securing the VP that is most difficult to flank on the map edge helps, if you come under lots of pressure you just have to focus on it and hold out. None of the units seem to provide suppression so you have to aim for squad wipes to even up the odds. Anyone else notice that early game every axis player, no matter what the ability, out builds you on the graphs at the end of the game?

Tactical support regiment helps if you have it. Very munitions intensive in late game when you probably want to focus on fuel to get a tank out earlyish but the command vehicle buffs all units in it's local area so great for a backs against the wall defence. Excellent for recon too with the spotter plane.

Best of all the Air Resupply operation gives you 600MP worth of units ( AT and Vickers) for the cost of reinforcing a squad a few times ( 200MP maybe?). Use a pyrotechnics upgraded IS section to crew them and they get much better sight range than the normal units. Comes a little bit too late to be your only AT so build an AT first to help out.

It is frustrating though, having to find almost niche ways of just clinging on in the game until you can get units on the field. Doubt the other factions have the same problem. It feels as though you have to powergame it just to hold in there rather than actually having options, or dare one suggest, having fun. The top playersw on Twitch pretty much say the same thing. One mistake with the Brits and it's gg.

In fact once I get the upperhand I don't really know what to do with it as every game is backs against the wall. Had a few Axis players camp against me but it's so rare that I just don't have the experience to exploit it!

Bofors down, mortar pit covering 2 VPs with 2 AT and a tank things get easier. Course they're probably using IDF and have you outnumbered in tanks, double capped, with a Shreck blob on their way towards your pit....

Might try a second bofors just to win some time and space to put trenches in... All seems very linear though.
13 Jan 2016, 01:12 AM

Ukf dont need redesign at all-just buffs to units. They are a "Gucci" faction but all gucci units are T3.

Buff vickers damage even more, make uc the tankiest early vehicle, make IS's more robust, buff base arty, make sexton a priest clone that costs 30 fuel more and is that much better, buff piat, buff everything
13 Jan 2016, 02:26 AM

Helpinghans just beat me, I've now learned the ways of tech rush and double snipers, as well as placing mines in front of your base entrance to prevent luchs rush. Darn good player.
13 Jan 2016, 04:08 AM

Helpinghans just beat me, I've now learned the ways of tech rush and double snipers, as well as placing mines in front of your base entrance to prevent luchs rush. Darn good player.

Yep, that's the best way to do it. Definitely beats sitting in a corner hiding behind your MGs.
14 Jan 2016, 02:32 AM

Which commander did Hans use?
14 Jan 2016, 02:59 AM

[x] surrender

that is my UKF advice until next patch
14 Jan 2016, 06:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2016, 20:31 PMNosliw

Yeah, their early game is mediocre and their midgame hilariously terrible. Their lategame is very solid, but good luck reaching it vs a good player. They play like Ostheer... except Ostheer is just better at almost everything I find. And playing defensively vs OKW is just asking to be rolled over by their blobs and armor.

To OP, sniper play is best play. Get one, preferably 2, and cover them with an MG and AT gun. You shouldn't allow axis to secure most of the map or you're going to be hit in the face with Panthers before you know it however. Against OKW, prepare as best you can for the Volks swarm and/or Luchs rush. If you can survive this, you should eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Or just wait for Relic to buff brits so they are fun to play again.
14 Jan 2016, 06:44 AM

Double sniper? Hmmm.... I never considered this, feels to expensive but the effect may be devastating especialy against small squad factions as OH.
In my british noob games, I found it more difficult to face ostheer than OKW. In fact, I feel that "rushing a P2" strategy against brits may appear as a good strategy because of their lack of antivehicle snare, but in fact it's not, especially if the british player rushes cromwell. In my 2 games against such an OKW strategy, I managed to build cromwell only 20-30 seconds later than the enemy built his P2.

But at such high level of play, I imagine the problems are different.
14 Jan 2016, 06:52 AM

Which commander did Hans use?

Tactical support regiment.
14 Jan 2016, 08:34 AM

Hello.

I do agree on the sniper thing, but i cannot live without a mortar spot, it forces ennemy punishing team in a nice way. i usually do something like :
Starting IS
MG
IS
T2
Engeener
Mortar
Sniper

Basically a copypasta from lemon 2v2 strat ... but for 1v1 X(
With this BO, AT tommys are usually my favourite commander.

I also make an extensive use of the Base mortars with IS. Basically always on CD.

Kozo.
14 Jan 2016, 09:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 08:34 AMKozokus
Hello.

I do agree on the sniper thing, but i cannot live without a mortar spot, it forces ennemy punishing team in a nice way. i usually do something like :
Starting IS
MG
IS
T2
Engeener
Mortar
Sniper

Basically a copypasta from lemon 2v2 strat ... but for 1v1 X(
With this BO, AT tommys are usually my favourite commander.

I also make an extensive use of the Base mortars with IS. Basically always on CD.

Kozo.

Isn't it hard to hold the line with just 2 IS and an MG? I am going like 3 IS and an HMG right from the start or get rolled over. Besides 2v2, every time I built a mortar emplacement I got beaten. Maybe I don't know how to use/protect it properly. And I am quite bad at squad preservation, I find it extremely difiicult in Brits' case, more difficult that in ostheer's case (and I didn't believe it can get worst than that). I thought I am a verry bad player, but then when I saw players like Obscura getting 3-4 squad wipes while playing brits, I figured out it's not entirely my fault :)
14 Jan 2016, 13:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 09:25 AMJohnnyB

Isn't it hard to hold the line with just 2 IS and an MG? I am going like 3 IS and an HMG right from the start or get rolled over. Besides 2v2, every time I built a mortar emplacement I got beaten. Maybe I don't know how to use/protect it properly. And I am quite bad at squad preservation, I find it extremely difiicult in Brits' case, more difficult that in ostheer's case (and I didn't believe it can get worst than that). I thought I am a verry bad player, but then when I saw players like Obscura getting 3-4 squad wipes while playing brits, I figured out it's not entirely my fault :)

Kinda hard but not that difficult.
My goal is to rush the mortar emplacement (and by all mean to limit my model losses to 1-2 MAX before building mortar) which act as a big support for your squads and help a lot to reduce your losses.
The earlygame is grand classic, hugging green and important buildings
I ignore half of the map and try to 2v1 ennemy squads, using the MG to trap people and force retreat.
About mortar placement i try to find da perfect spot which gather the most of this list :
- cover 2 victory point
- cover 1 fuel point
- is near one of the base entry (in case of attack, mass retreat tommys and defend the bracing mortar)
- behind a sightblocker to force weird placement for attacking squads (bushes/building/anything)
- near a good MG spot (to help his defense)

This strat completly skip global upgrades, grenades bolster and weaponrack, save fuel for T3 and various tanks and save munitions for medipacks, Base artillery strikes and Commander off-map strikes.

However, this line of play is completly soft against Assaultgrenadier spam :/ I think the answer lies in the weaponrack but unsure.

Kozo.

14 Jan 2016, 13:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2016, 13:19 PMKozokus

Kinda hard but not that difficult.
My goal is to rush the mortar emplacement (and by all mean to limit my model losses to 1-2 MAX before building mortar) which act as a big support for your squads and help a lot to reduce your losses.
The earlygame is grand classic, hugging green and important buildings
I ignore half of the map and try to 2v1 ennemy squads, using the MG to trap people and force retreat.
About mortar placement i try to find da perfect spot which gather the most of this list :
- cover 2 victory point
- cover 1 fuel point
- is near one of the base entry (in case of attack, mass retreat tommys and defend the bracing mortar)
- behind a sightblocker to force weird placement for attacking squads (bushes/building/anything)
- near a good MG spot (to help his defense)

This strat completly skip global upgrades, grenades bolster and weaponrack, save fuel for T3 and various tanks and save munitions for medipacks, Base artillery strikes and Commander off-map strikes.

However, this line of play is completly soft against Assaultgrenadier spam :/ I think the answer lies in the weaponrack but unsure.

Kozo.

Thing is the mortar emplacement will be under constant bombardment and in early game you don't have enough power to do important pushes to eliminate the threat. I'm talking mainly about ISGs here.

Related to AGs, I saw a live game yesterday in which one guy won against AGs and MG using a Wasp upgraded UC, which is a logical choice if we take into account that AGs have no anti vehicle snare. The ostheer player didn't build T1 though, so he had no faust. He built a Scout Car though, but didn't succeed to catch the UC, it eventualy died to an AT gun hit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★