Login

russian armor

Base Howis..

9 Jan 2016, 17:01 PM

Was playing around with them today, trying to find a use for them really..

Am I going mad or do they get more accurate the second and third times you fire them?

First one is as likely to squad wipe the poor bugger who called arty in within his own spitting range. Add in a huge delay ( seems to take almost 20 seconds to actually land a shell :unsure: ) whilst, I think, the guns train.

Second one is a bit more prompt at around 12 seconds, but it seems to get a reasonable grouping. Not deadly, but usefulish.

Third same delay but seems to be on the money. Fourth seems remarkably similar to the first.

Now I was throwing the flare in exactly the same place each time, so not sure if it would effectively reset if you fired it in a similar but different area. The Pak I was targeting remained largely undamaged the entire time ( 9 or 10 cycles?) until I chose Anvil.

Should really have tested whether constant line of sight on the target helps or whether it is just a cold barrel incremental adjustment sort of effect.

not that our highly mobile adversaries are terrible likely to obligingly sit in the same place for 7 and a half minutes but still..
10 Jan 2016, 16:23 PM

Just took out a KT on La Gleize breakout with it...

18 VPs left, down to 2 Vickers and a newly built IS once the KT had wrecked everything. Previous two bombardments on centre VP had been pretty ineffectual but with Anvil airburst rounds it smashed his infantry ( unusual to see Inf supporting a KT!) and took out the full health KT.

Maybe the RNG gods accepted my sacrifice afterall...

First time I've won on that map.

*awaits Axis players thread on base howis being OP*

10 Jan 2016, 18:27 PM

Just took out a KT on La Gleize breakout with it...
... but with Anvil airburst rounds it smashed his infantry ( unusual to see Inf supporting a KT!) and took out the full health KT.

Please provide a replay, or a video, or any proof.
This is not possible.

The howitzer fires 9 shells in total (including 3 airburst). Each deals 160 damage

It needs 8 penetrating shells to kill a KT (each shell has a penetration chance of 32%)

EVEN IF the KT is ACTIVELY trying to get hit by shells, the two shells will simultaneously land on different spots in the barrage area.

Thus, in the best case, the Tank can be HIT by 3 airburst and 3 normal shells (half of the normal ones).

Unless OKW also discovered alien teleportation for their tanks... are you sure it was not some other player that dealt all the damage?
10 Jan 2016, 18:40 PM

I'm a complete nubbins dude, so it you say it isn't possible then it isn't. Trust me I'm not going to argue!

No replay I'm afraid, is there any way to automatically save them or do you have to click somewhere during the game?

It was 1v1 so no other player involved.
10 Jan 2016, 18:46 PM

I'm a complete nubbins dude, so it you say it isn't possible then it isn't. Trust me I'm not going to argue!

No replay I'm afraid, is there any way to automatically save them or do you have to click somewhere during the game?

It was 1v1 so no other player involved.

I bet $5 that the OKW dude laid a mine and his KT drove over it as base arty was landing.
10 Jan 2016, 18:51 PM

I don't recall the KT moving, clearly something else at play but as I said other than a couple of Vickers I didn't have anything else left. I suppose my AT might have got a shot in before it died, it died ( the AT) pretty quickly though and I think the first KT took out my other one.

On a side note am I wrong about it becomming more accurate?

What are the game mechanics around this?
10 Jan 2016, 19:25 PM

Apologies. I mistook La Gleize breakout for some 4vs4 name with a similar name.

Accuracy for all artillery is affected by distance. The Base Howis have pinpoint accuracy right outside your base. When barraging near the enemy base, your shells will probably not land anywhere near the same postal code.

The distance from your base to the mid VP doesn't look that far. The KT is a big enough target, and you might have also slept with the RNG gods enough so that several shells managed to land on the King Tiger AND penetrate while the enemy wasn't looking.

The most difficult thing to believe about this story is how the shells managed to smash the KT AND the infantry. Was the enemy hugging the KT with his squads or what?

(Airburst shells don't deal damage as far away as their visuals would imply).
10 Jan 2016, 19:56 PM

Yes, at least three squads. KT was just top left of the VP. I put my IS into the building north whilst the recon upgrade processed. KT turret slowly turned to target them and his infantry headed straight for the building from West hence were clustered around the KT when they engaged.

Popped the IS out to throw the flare and watched the fireworks. :)

It is purely distance then? Three consecutive flares on the same spot should result in ( RNG god prostitution not withstanding) the same distribution?

I tested this on an easy AI game and it certainly looked as though second and third barrages were more accurate, though obviously this could merely be the RNG gods punishing a dismount. :)

Had rather a funny result in a game on Arnhem, threw a flare thinking my IS had enough time to white the VP before retreating, only forgot I'd targetted it with the base Howis before. Result: Airbursts almost wiped my squad. :)

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 6
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment