Login

russian armor

When to tech grenades?

6 Jan 2016, 19:40 PM

Hi everybody. I'm fairly new player, recently i started playing USF. My favorite strat is to tech captain and rush stuart as soon as posible. hovewer USF have really tough time with clearing buildings. i'm thinking that grenades could help with that (agains HMG in bulding witch is most annoying) Is it worth to tech grenades before stuart or should i just avoid occupied buildings till stuart?
6 Jan 2016, 20:42 PM

After M20, or after before/Captain/after if your going 4 rifle.

6 Jan 2016, 21:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

get them after your stuart or light vehicle

if youre having problems with buildings or cover, ARMOR COMPANY assault engineer flamers are good at your level, just make sure you retreat in a timely manner and dont charge straight up to buildings/across red cover, use shot blockers and cover to approach to minimize damage. BUILD ONLY one squad and only when you have munitions for a flamethrower(60)

Grenades too early on for that purpose are extremely inefficient, since all the enemy has to do is support the MG, or simply get out of the building, which would just slow your tech and make you mince meat for light vehicles or extended T1 openings while all you have is nades. The key with flamethrowers is they arent dodgeable.

Make sure that the Ostheer player doesnt get an important building EARLY ON by rushing it with your rear echelon and then back capping with your riflemen, you should always have control over the initial engagement when vs ostheer unless you're playing vs ostruppen, and even then you should still reach an important building first.

You can also put a fighting position near an important building to deny it with rear echelons that can fire grenades FOR FREE out of them(Make sure the building you want to deny is about the halfway point from the "arc" shown on the screen when youre building the fighting pit, if the p[it is too close the nades wont fire. The nades range is as far as the "arc" shown when youre building it!)

hope that helps..if not i can explain with more pictures
6 Jan 2016, 21:24 PM

Depends on the situation, sometimes I'll tech grenades early after my third Rifle Squad if there is MG42 at a vital point that I need to clear ASAP. Sometimes the early advantage is worth it. Otherwise if you're applying good pressure and can make due without then its best to tech them after the Stuart to maximize its shock value IMO. Protip: Use the Captain's Supervise ability to make the Stuart come out even faster.

Regarding buildings, one thing a lot of new players don't realize is that the number of windows determines the number of models shooting at you. If you're clearing a building its a lot easier if you attack from the side with the least windows. (Or no windows even on some buildings)For example, big churches only have 1 window above the main entrance so its a lot easier to attack from that angle than the sides. Likewise, always throw grenades at the windows the models are clustered at - it greatly increases the damage especially in bigger buildings.
6 Jan 2016, 21:25 PM

If you really want nades, tech to nades AFTER giving your riflemen each 1 BAR. Then you can use nades.

BARS do decent damage to units in buildings and significantly increase firepower of rifles.
6 Jan 2016, 22:31 PM

Any specific area to throw a grenade in the building? Nothing chaps me more than having to get a 2nd squad to toss a follow up 'nade in a building because the first one just killed one guy.
6 Jan 2016, 23:17 PM

Any specific area to throw a grenade in the building? Nothing chaps me more than having to get a 2nd squad to toss a follow up 'nade in a building because the first one just killed one guy.

You literally throw the nade at the window or windows the unit are in. Dont just throw it randomly in a building.

For example, if the axis units are shooting out of the right windows, you throw the nade there, not in the center or left or it will do non or minimal damage.
7 Jan 2016, 21:50 PM

You literally throw the nade at the window or windows the unit are in. Dont just throw it randomly in a building.

For example, if the axis units are shooting out of the right windows, you throw the nade there, not in the center or left or it will do non or minimal damage.

Ah...total duh. I've been treating them the same as CoH1 'nade toss and it just selected the whole building.
10 Jan 2016, 23:57 PM

thanks for tips guys! I have another question - about throwing granades into building. is there anyway to see where the enemy soldiers are in the buidling? I mean when i'm watching replays the units in building are highlited. Can i see those unit in similar way in real time game? sadly i'm playing on realy low graphic settings so it's kinda hard to see where the models really are in the heat of battle.
18 Jan 2016, 07:57 AM

look for windows where they're shooting from. in coh2, only one model can fire from each window; if there are 5 volks in a building but only two windows face your rifle squad, those are the only two windows that will be used.

the more you play each map the more you'll just remember where the windows are.
26 Jan 2016, 13:28 PM

I'm a scrub and noob (playing only 4v4), but I've started to tech grenades really early in game, after my 2nd or 3rd riflemans. Grenades help a lot when dealing with MGs/garrisoned units.
AVA
26 Jan 2016, 16:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2016, 13:28 PMZvonzi
I'm a scrub and noob (playing only 4v4), but I've started to tech grenades really early in game, after my 2nd or 3rd riflemans. Grenades help a lot when dealing with MGs/garrisoned units.

That will slow your lt/capt/stuart by a mile though. Also the munitions you spend on the grenades are soo costly.. which you could've used for weapons and mines.

Buildings aren't that much of a problem to me, to rush nades.
26 Jan 2016, 17:08 PM

As I said, I'm noob :D

But, when I think about it, it probably helps me a lot because I'm new to the game, so early grenades fill the gap in my map knowledge and my overall game knowledge.
27 Jan 2016, 06:25 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2016, 13:28 PMZvonzi

When playing on an Arranged Team and on certain maps, it can be suitable for 2 Americans to both go Cpt/Stuart, but one player get nades before.

It does delay, but on certain maps it's necessary to be able to fire smoke grenades into houses overlooking fuel/vp/cutoff points.

Port of Hamburg is an example.
Kharkov is an example.
Lienne Forest is an example.

If for some reason you've lost a building early game, can't force enemy infantry out (the ones holding it for the MG), then nades as your first fuel purchase are necessary.
5 Feb 2016, 11:49 AM

It depends.I usually tech them when i see mgs in buildings or see someone blobbing.
9 Feb 2016, 01:20 AM

Grenades Unlock your smoke grenades as well, so it is always a nice upgrade.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★