Login

russian armor

Anyone play without Doctrines?

31 Dec 2015, 16:08 PM

Recently, God knows why, I have started to play without selecting a Doc. Crazy I know but In a way I think its really helping me play better due to the massive disadvantage it can give.

I'm a Brits only player so having Sim city helps more than it would say USF as standard units and with the flexibility for the Brits play style, each game is different.

I've lost a lot more than I have won recently but I think thats to do more with how this patch gave OKW a huge advantage (free tech + Cheap Tanks) and reduced a lot of the brits power, but that's another topic entirely.

So, am I the only one that does this? Have you tried it? Or do you think Docs are far too vital for victory that you think I'm insane? :P
31 Dec 2015, 16:15 PM

lol, playing brits without the offmaps?

Easy prey indeed
31 Dec 2015, 16:22 PM
Donator 22

USF is pretty strong without doctrines. I've won plenty of matches without choosing anything.
31 Dec 2015, 16:22 PM
Donator 11

Whats wrong about selecting a commander? Just ignore the abilities you dont need... picking no commander will always be a disadvantage. (no off map, passive abilities). You dont need to focus on call-ins if you dont like them.

Of course you can win without commanders but well not against serious players.
31 Dec 2015, 17:21 PM

It depends. As soviets and brits for example, it is suicide.
31 Dec 2015, 17:30 PM

It's certainly a challenge, and if you want to set it for yourself, why not? The only time however I play without doctrines is when I get to the end of a game and realise I haven't chosen one, or never needed to. I sometimes play USF in 2v2 with three Mechanised Companies so technically that's like playing without a doctrine :snfPeter:
31 Dec 2015, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2015, 16:08 PMLatch
Recently, God knows why, I have started to play without selecting a Doc. Crazy I know but In a way I think its really helping me play better due to the massive disadvantage it can give.

I'm a Brits only player so having Sim city helps more than it would say USF as standard units and with the flexibility for the Brits play style, each game is different.

I've lost a lot more than I have won recently but I think thats to do more with how this patch gave OKW a huge advantage (free tech + Cheap Tanks) and reduced a lot of the brits power, but that's another topic entirely.

So, am I the only one that does this? Have you tried it? Or do you think Docs are far too vital for victory that you think I'm insane? :P

Sometimes I win before I select my doctrine, but it doesn't make sense to not choose one deliberately. You're leaving options and abilities on the table, no sense not utilizing them for no reason.

Although, there is a difference between centering your strategies around one doctrine, you should always select one later in the game then earlier, as to react and predict your opponents plays(unless your going prostruppen, then by all means).

31 Dec 2015, 17:59 PM

Try play Soviet
31 Dec 2015, 22:01 PM

Pick doctrine as you need them. Ex: as USF if you lose a rifle squad 7 minutes in and have both fuels, go airborne or Rangers. If your opponent goes Ostruppen, you go Tactical Support-etc.

See a tiger doc? Go Rifle company, etc.

The same logic applies with Ost and UKF too, but Soviets and OKW need commanders.
31 Dec 2015, 22:19 PM

OST can play without a commander fairly competently.
31 Dec 2015, 22:26 PM

I often catch myself that I did not choose a doctrine but only when playing OKW.

I mean, if the game is in my favour, I have 2 leigs, few volks with schrecks, 2 obers with LMG and Panther, I don't need any doctrine so the choice is not what I need, but what I don't need aka "Nah, I don't need JT; I don't need Jaegers etc.." so I often end with Sturmtiger becasue ST is never a bad choice.
4 Jan 2016, 15:06 PM

I claim all armies have the needed tools vanilla. I tend to choose commander when needing something specific and reasonably often I end up playing an entire game without picking. However some commanders have stronger early-game abilities and so when I pick them I have a preset strategy.
4 Jan 2016, 15:09 PM

OKW can, ost can to some extend(depending on opponent and what it does).

USF could, but for all 3 allied factions its just crippling decision and ost and okw get so much goodies out of docs, that it doesn't make sense, unless you're stomping somebody or reacting to their choice, but soviets probably have it worst here as you HAVE to go maxim spam or you'll lose quickly.
4 Jan 2016, 16:10 PM

There are some commanders that give passive bonuses so not picking one seems crazy to me. Even if you don't want to spend resources on the commander stuff you should at least go advanced warfare or something and get the free build order hack ... or if you're OKW get the commander with free warning flares.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★