Login

russian armor

Shermans not worth it vs OKW?

• This thread is locked
24 Dec 2015, 00:39 AM

Noticing that Shermans are a horrible investment vs OKW right now because they come out at the same time as OKW vehicles, which when coupled with the omnipotent Shreks and Puppchens force Shermans sole purpose as flank protection if you don't the Shermans to get vaporized in 5 seconds.

Is this just me sucking, or are Shermans pretty bad vs OKW? Advice maybe?

24 Dec 2015, 01:22 AM

i think M8 scotts do better than sherman against the shreck blobs , but will die really fast and it cannot fire back at the tank who is chasing it. :foreveralone:

24 Dec 2015, 01:38 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

theyre ok...

Sherms and packhowie is the only cure you have vs the cancer that is OKW.

Scott just flat out doesn't cut it for its cost, especially now that OKW has 100% fuel income and can damn near have a P4 at the same time...at that point you're just walking on broken ice, obviously. And if you go stuart which you pretty much have to do then...well yeah...

So :snfPeter: Unless you go tactical support every game for calliope and quad(AKA the AntiOKW) :snfPeter: of course which personally, im already bored of doing, you're flat out fucked if you dont like shermans or blobbing LMG rifles. So them shermangs are still the mainstay anti inf unit. :snfPeter:
24 Dec 2015, 02:06 AM

Shermans are fine I just still haven't fully understood how to properly use the ammo switch feature. It makes the tank so much harder to use :/ The problem as USF in the late game is that they don't have any reliable anti tank unit vs P4 and Panzer4. You simply don't have enough dps to ever kill them. Luckily the eternal shitness of volks compensates for that.
24 Dec 2015, 03:06 AM
Patrion 14

Shermans are musts vs. OKW blobs in the early stages of the lategame, but I find the scott, .50, and the AAHT are must haves to give the Sherman an easier time kiting and bleeding the enemy.

The AAHT gives you a (very micro-heavy), but powerful suppression platform early on that can also help take down units in buildings and wipe squads when on retreat paths. The biggest issue with the AAHT is that it allows a luchs to hit before you can get captain tier up, but that can be mitigated by bazooka upgrades (m20 mines are too easily countered except on large maps IMO). Bazookas + AAHT are more than a match for a luchs. I reccomend recycling the AAHT if possible later in the match (mechanised company), but it is useful to keep it on to take down enemy planes and protect your retreat point.

The .50 I recommend a little less. It is just a little too buggy for me. Once it gets vet 1, it becomes quite decent, but it seems to have issues with firing on time. More annoyingly, it also still has the guner decrew bug like the maxim, so it is hardcountered by riflenades and lmgs.

The scott should be built later into the game when the enemy has lots of AT, and shermans are too fragile to fight on the frontlines. It will bleed consistently over a large period of time if your opponent is a-moving.

Combining a Sherman with 1-2 of these units will make them all much more powerful, due to their synergies.
24 Dec 2015, 03:33 AM

I also have been having a similar experience. 100% Munitions for OKW really makes can make it tough sledding for Shermans if you don't thin the Volks herd a bit in the early-mid game.

If that happens I'll usually sink my fuel into Jacksons and just screen them LMG Rifles/Rangers/Paratroopers for AI depending on map. I may still buy 1 Sherman as first tank just to have a HE shell platform to keep the other player honest but more than 1 Regular Sherman can be iffy if they start going down and the OKW player starts outnumbering your vehicles. Either that or just using Easy 8s which can take a few more Shreks.
4 Jan 2016, 19:23 PM

Honestly, I don't feel like Shermans are worth it. I normally go for Jacksons or M10s, and use Rifles+bars to counter Volks.
4 Jan 2016, 19:29 PM

IN 2 vs 2 I say no.
No sherman, No Scott

1 Suppress mobile platform behinde ur blob.

Captain.

1 AT gun

Calliope only.

Jackson or 2 to cover yours counter blob from ostwind.

And don't forget to say hello to Relics designers

4 Jan 2016, 19:31 PM

You need one sherman at least to wipe harassing units, stuart or scott can't do that
4 Jan 2016, 19:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jan 2016, 19:31 PMRollo
You need one sherman at least to wipe harassing units, stuart or scott can't do that

Leutenant is the best chose. Fast. And no one can kill him 1 squad vs 1 squad (+1 BAR)
4 Jan 2016, 19:41 PM

The Shermans purpose vs OKW is being a "meat shield" for the jacksons.

Yes the Sherman has paper thin armor but it still has more armor and HP than jackson so you use shermans in front of jackson to protect your jacksons.

Only due to it being able to take one or two more hits than a jackson

Occasionally you'll get a RNG lucky sherman HE round squad wipe.

The best Sherman hands down ofc is the CalliOPe :banana:
4 Jan 2016, 19:47 PM

AT the current state of balance 2vs2 and higher ALL Allied factions must have Calliope as regular unit in their armies.
Rum
4 Jan 2016, 22:28 PM

In twos I find it better to rely on your partners medium armor. Croms and t34s are just better (maybe not the t34/76) if you can keep your Scott back and give it a rifle shield/scout, you should see it pay dividends over a Sherman. That said the only viable take is a Jackson simply because it can pen other tanks and with the rifle screen you can use the range. The best thing for usf is to aquire other factions support weapons. Your job is to prod enemy lines for a flank opening
9 Mar 2017, 13:02 PM

NECROOOO
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight