Login

russian armor

Fears for COH2 being too Tank focused

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
24 Nov 2012, 21:48 PM

I have my concerns for CoH2 focusing too much on tank/ light armour battles, as opposed to squad based infantry tactics. I have no evidence to suggest this is what Relic are doing on purpose, but I'm kinda worried that it might be an unintended result in CoH2.

Anyone else thought this maybe?

24 Nov 2012, 21:56 PM
Caster Badge

Not really. Not in particular if tanks will have a more limited line of sight compared to infantry. In some ways tanks will have some buffs, but i also think there will be some new limitations imposed on them making infantry just as vital if not more.

For example we know AT guns have longer ranges for examples. But also that tank MGs are more useful. So things are being changed up a bit :) Plus tanks can be decrewed, so in that sense, infantry will be even more vital than before.
24 Nov 2012, 22:23 PM

Tanks at least from the alpha we played were more powerful but still softcounterable by infantry and light vehicles if used properly. However you will not see blobs of infantry chasing off 3 tanks anymore.
24 Nov 2012, 22:30 PM
Caster Badge

Did you notice anything different about their line of sight btw ?
24 Nov 2012, 22:54 PM

Hopefully the tanks will be more realistic in CoH 2. Lumbering, slow and extremely powerful and hard to destroy while infantry of course will have the ability to hold ground and the advantage of mobility.

In CoH 1 tanks are pretty ridiculous, ever seen a panther chase a Sherman down a dirt road at super high speed? Or a heavily armored panzer IV shitting its pants at seeing 12 riflemen with makeshift AT weapons coming running? :D

Hopefully (at least in my mind) tanks will be more rare, more of a support unit, and harder to use. Give me lumbering steel giants instead of plastic mediocrity. :D
24 Nov 2012, 22:56 PM
Caster Badge

Tanks were actually surprisingly fast :P The Tiger tank for example was just as fast as a Sherman :)
24 Nov 2012, 23:38 PM

While I like the infantry based format of CoH, I hope that riot melds vehicles and infantry together. You shouldn't be able to win a game of CoH with nothing but infantry.
25 Nov 2012, 02:35 AM

I really would like infantry to be able to ride on top of the tanks, as that would allow me to better immerse myself in the game.
25 Nov 2012, 02:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2012, 22:23 PMRogers
Tanks at least from the alpha we played were more powerful but still softcounterable by infantry and light vehicles if used properly. However you will not see blobs of infantry chasing off 3 tanks anymore.

why not?
25 Nov 2012, 04:18 AM

I think in multiplayer the maps should determine the strategy used. I would like CoH2 to be very strategy orientated, so if your tech badly or use the wrong strategy for a map or situation then you will almost certainly fail.

The map rotation for mulitplayer should include maps like, Stalingrad, Kharkov, Berlin, Kiev and maps like Kursk (Prokorovhka), the open steppes of the Ukraine and the mountainous Caucasus region. These maps will dictate very different strategies and bring a lot more to the game, in my opinion. We need maps that a very different, so not every battle is the same, players will need to use lots of different strategies and tactics to win.
25 Nov 2012, 06:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2012, 23:38 PMJerico
While I like the infantry based format of CoH, I hope that riot melds vehicles and infantry together. You shouldn't be able to win a game of CoH with nothing but infantry.

Ok now I think you're doing it on purpose
27 Nov 2012, 07:43 AM

Tanks were actually surprisingly fast :P The Tiger tank for example was just as fast as a Sherman :)

I could see that, what bothers me is them driving down the road and keeping on getting perfect shots in the rear armor. Best thing i guess would be making tanks LoS work as in MoW. (very restricted and dependant on infantry for spotters) :)
27 Nov 2012, 09:51 AM

I think in multiplayer the maps should determine the strategy used. I would like CoH2 to be very strategy orientated, so if your tech badly or use the wrong strategy for a map or situation then you will almost certainly fail.

The map rotation for mulitplayer should include maps like, Stalingrad, Kharkov, Berlin, Kiev and maps like Kursk (Prokorovhka), the open steppes of the Ukraine and the mountainous Caucasus region. These maps will dictate very different strategies and bring a lot more to the game, in my opinion. We need maps that a very different, so not every battle is the same, players will need to use lots of different strategies and tactics to win.

if that was the case it would turn into starcraft and force you into certain strategies. what would be the point, all that would matter is micro
27 Nov 2012, 10:25 AM

27 Nov 2012, 11:09 AM
Caster Badge

I could see that, what bothers me is them driving down the road and keeping on getting perfect shots in the rear armor. Best thing i guess would be making tanks LoS work as in MoW. (very restricted and dependant on infantry for spotters) :)

Well that wouldn't work in that scenario since the tank would still be in the LoS of the panther :P

Anyways, we haven't gotten too many details on tanks except that now they can be decrewed and captured in some cases.
27 Nov 2012, 11:17 AM

... You win this one... :p

For some reason though I'm ridicoulusly confident in Relics ability to bring a intense and well made multiplayer experience that will still keep historical accuracy (as much as a game can I guess) and provide a good experience for the one looking for a competitive RTS and for the one looking for a WW2 game. ^^

Conclusion: I think tanks will be stronger, but not too strong.
28 Nov 2012, 00:35 AM

The COH balance with tanks is superb, I hope it doesn't become a race for Tier 4 tank spam, that would be a tragedy.
28 Nov 2012, 00:56 AM

I have my concerns for CoH2 focusing too much on tank/ light armour battles, as opposed to squad based infantry tactics. I have no evidence to suggest this is what Relic are doing on purpose, but I'm kinda worried that it might be an unintended result in CoH2.

Anyone else thought this maybe?

They are supposedly making the tanks more powerful and intimidating vs infantry...but that doesn't mean they are getting rid of the infantry battles. Like Rogers said, you won't see any more big blobs of infantry surrounding and gang raping a heavy tank.
28 Nov 2012, 01:06 AM

that was good though basilone, when a mob of infantry surrounds a tank, it should gang rape it.

Don't want to see a single tank destroying an overwhelming presence of anti tank infantry just because its a fearsome tank.

Sometimes they have to balance things and having Tanks all powerful while they also can take 6 Panzershreck's might not bode for a fun game.
28 Nov 2012, 09:06 AM
Caster Badge

Who says they are tougher ? What is said is that infantry can't just rush out in the open and take on a tank. Rather how it ought to be. Mobbinb/blobbing should never be something you can just do. And you could just do it against a tank.

Ultimately. We still don't have the full picture on tanks, their LoS, and their armour, do they have more than front and rear this time around ?
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 26
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak