Login

russian armor

Ever a reason to get an ostwind over a PIV?

28 Jun 2013, 13:55 PM

I can't see a reason to get an ostwind at the moment, was wondering what others thought about it.
28 Jun 2013, 14:16 PM

Absolutely. P4 is good against infantry, but Ostwind is a beast. It's not as good as a flammenwerfer, but it has longer range, better agility and more armor.

Additionally, it can easily destroy any light vehicle and the T-70 light tank (even two simultaneously), and can "fend off" a T-34. It won't defeat it, but you can usually do enough damage while reversing that your opponent will be wary of chasing you across the map.

It's a much higher impact unit when it hits the field than the P4, though obviously you'll need some real AT to back it up afterward. My hope is to always get an Ostwind first to deal devastating manpower damage, then follow up with a P4 or Stug against T-34s. It's only really viable when you've done a decent job cutting your opponent's fuel or you've seen him invest a good chunk into fuel upgrades or light vehicles.
28 Jun 2013, 15:41 PM

I dont know. I think the Ostwind was more viable before, during early days of Beta.

Now with the buff to the P4, and the Stugs AT capability, I think its fallen off quite a bit.

I would much rather go for a P4 right now (and always do) because by the time you get a medium tank out...you will most likely be facing a T34 and then your Ostwind IS kinda useless.

Honestly right now the P4 destroys infantry!! The MG upgrade is actually useful and racks up the kills and the main canon consistently gets numerous kills. AND Ive seen it penetrate IS-2 armor very often.

For same fuel cost (if Im not mistaken) ....P4 all the way!!

They need to reduce fuel cost on Ostwind IMO to make it a good choice.
28 Jun 2013, 16:03 PM

Ostwind is obviously costing too much Fuel, IMO 80 would be good
28 Jun 2013, 16:14 PM

I like the idea of reducing the fuel cost, but it should be slightly weaker against Soviet tanks if the cost is decreased. Currently the Ostwind can go head to head with e T-34/76 and reduce it's HP by 2/3 before getting knocked out.
28 Jun 2013, 17:34 PM

The Ostwind is great at shredding guards, decrewing AT guns if you sneak up on them, pretty good at killing retreating squads and tends to discourage conscripts a lot more quickly than the P-IV does. P-IVs are definitely my default in an even game but if I have a strong early game or see a lot of investment in infantry, I consider one. Think German armour balance is in an alright place at the moment (maybe with a small P-IV damage reduction)
28 Jun 2013, 18:16 PM

I like the idea of reducing the fuel cost, but it should be slightly weaker against Soviet tanks if the cost is decreased. Currently the Ostwind can go head to head with e T-34/76 and reduce it's HP by 2/3 before getting knocked out.

I dont think it should be weaker against tanks than it is....your losing much more than the soviet here. The T-34 is dirt cheap while the Ostwind is 115fuel! They come out at about the same time....if in the end all you do is reduce the T-34s health down by 2/3ds its still a big blow to your mid game.

I think the Stug should get its health buff back. Right now its weaker than it should be. It has good armor but gets taken down in 3 shots by that Russian Tank the SU85 with the fixed gun AND is out ranged by it. I dont know about you guys..but this Tank has been giving me headaches!

Id see a buff to Stugs (health wise), a reduced cost to Ostwind to 80 (like Barton said, makes sense to me). Keep P4 as is.

28 Jun 2013, 18:26 PM

I dont think it should be weaker against tanks than it is....your losing much more than the soviet here. The T-34 is dirt cheap while the Ostwind is 115fuel! They come out at about the same time....if in the end all you do is reduce the T-34s health down by 2/3ds its still a big blow to your mid game.

I was only suggesting a reduction to the Ostwind's strength against tanks if it were made cheaper (80 fuel for example).
28 Jun 2013, 19:26 PM

In its current state, I always go for the PIV, as it is the safer option.

If the enemy is good with AT guns, he will deny my Ostwind from the most critical spot of the map on that first engagement. If he goes the tank way, the T34 will kill or maim the Ostwind to a point where its usefulness decreases (the ostwind can kill the t34 though).

The PIV is decent at decrewing AT guns if flanking, decent at shooting infantry and good against most soviet vehicles.
29 Jun 2013, 11:08 AM

I think Ostwind's fuel cost should be reduced with stats weakened. German has no answer for early t-70 now aside from lucky teller mine.
29 Jun 2013, 11:45 AM

Thing is the Ostwind is never going to be as safe a first option as a P-IV if they're both fulfilling their roles. A stat/cost reduction to the point where it's not a threat to T-34s and SU-76s is only going to exacerbate that while making it less good at the thing it's meant to do.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 19
Peru 7
unknown 4
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %