Login

russian armor

The PIAT Is Terrible

4 Dec 2015, 11:24 AM

So this thing's probably the single worst weapon upgrade in the game right how. Sure it's cheap and does good damage, but it couldn't hit a bloody ocean liner moving through heavy molasses. Basically all it does is force Axis players to keep their vehicles moving around or else stick to max range. So really nothing.

Obviously the PIAT can't become a direct-fire weapon, but I think an increase to its projectile velocity and/or range would be a good start.
4 Dec 2015, 11:26 AM

So this thing's probably the single worst weapon upgrade in the game right how. Sure it's cheap and does good damage, but it couldn't hit a bloody ocean liner moving through heavy molasses. Basically all it does is force Axis players to keep their vehicles moving around or else stick to max range. So really nothing.

Obvious solution - increase projectile velocity and/or range.

I'd say increase it's cost and make it like shreks or something, then the dmg output should be a bit lower. Then you got something real for your munition
4 Dec 2015, 11:27 AM

I'd say increase it's cost and make it like shreks or something, then the dmg output should be a bit lower. Then you got something real for your munition
I edited my original post just as you posted this. It can't become a direct-fire weapon unfortunately, thing as that's not how it functioned in real life.
4 Dec 2015, 11:31 AM

I find them fairly ok. They are rather cheap, do 40 dmg on deflection and can be fired over obstacles.
4 Dec 2015, 11:36 AM

try attack grounding with them. also i think theyre supposed to be an anti-heavy weapon, all their stats seem to point towards that role.
4 Dec 2015, 11:36 AM

The PIAT is setup to be an anti-heavy weapon.

Its high deflection damage (80!)basically allow it to ignore armor and its scatter isn't as much of a problem against huge target like the Tiger or panther. As an comparison, schreck deal 120 damage on penetration and the bazooka deal 80.

normally what I would do is put 2 two piat on two sapper each. It's actually an effectiveness defense against the axis heavy. It's rarely to actually score a kill with the PIAT but it will reliable put a dent in the german dent. The british themselves also have highly effective tanks.

I believe the british were meant to use specialized units like the bofor/aec and at sniper against targets their PIAT can't hit. At the same time, PIAT and Firefly will deal with the axis heavy. It's a unique concept and I believe it can still be salavaged.

and Honestly I prefer not to see PIAT spam in the game.
4 Dec 2015, 11:47 AM

PIATs could be decent in some circumstance.There was a time this guy bombard my med hq with PIATs blob.It was Lienne Forest,and that guy was hiding his blob in that little path in the woods on the lower part of the map,using attack ground to bombard my med hq.And it was destroyed within 1 min,literally;i didn't even got enough time to get my SP there.
4 Dec 2015, 12:24 PM

PIATs are nowhere nearly as bad as bazookas (bazookas are terrible vs Axis armour, awesome vs USF/SU armour).

In smaller team-modes (1v1 and, perhaps, 2v2), I wouldn't really ever bother with PIATs, because 6pdr > PIAT.

In clusterfuck team-modes, however, PIATs become little miracle-workers:
- They can be fired over hedges/obstacles
- They are way more mobile than the 6pdr, and can also retreat if needed
- They have great DPS for their cost (cheap MU price, low reinforce cost)

Use them:
- To deter heavy-armour pushes
- As your only indirect fire option vs Trucks (the whole hedges thing I mentioned before)
- vs people that underestimate them. They will pay the price

The downside is that PIATs require a lot more micro (hence, not suitable for 1v1) . Here are some tips:
- You should ALWAYS use attack ground, so that you can get more predictable results
- PIATs tend to overshoot by a little bit, thus you need to aim a bit closer to compensate
- Keep your PIAT squads spread, so that even if you miscalculate, you will at least score a few hits

Source: I have been using what I preach for the past 2 months, and I have been consistently good, sometimes game-changing, results with them.
4 Dec 2015, 12:29 PM
Patrion 14

I used to be a guy who hated piats like you; but then I got 80 deflection dmg per shot killed by piat spam.

For their munitions cost, they are amazing when they hit because they do damage regardless of penetration. Which means enough in a blob shooting at a snared tank means its done for no matter what way its armor is facing.

In all honesty, they are micro intensive as hell when you want better accuracy using attack ground. Which means you have to baby sit them a lot in order to get the results you want. But for a dead tank? I guess it would be worth it.
4 Dec 2015, 12:53 PM

+1 on the "PIATs are good" side.

Even as an AI weapon they are not to be underestimated. A lot of player feels nervous when they see their squads eating tons explosions.
Correct me if i am wrong but i think that the rate of fire is quite fast too.

Kozo.
4 Dec 2015, 12:58 PM
Patrion 28

my issue with them is that they take forever to reload and to aim which means it's very hard to use attack ground against fast vehicles.
4 Dec 2015, 13:05 PM

PIATS have surprising range, especially when combined with the cover bonus that tommies/vet 1 sappers get.
You can easily snipe fleeing tanks in the fog of war just by attack grounding with good prediction.
As people have said the problem is micro tax. NEEDING to attack ground to get good results is terrible compared to the fire-and-forget Schreck and Zook.

Anything that makes it easier for PIATs to hit things will improve them ten-fold. Using the Special Weapons commander to drop PIATs for Conscripts is extremely effective.
4 Dec 2015, 13:32 PM

Actually, there is only one thing that's really terrible about PIATs:
You cannot use them to deny abandoned team weapons.

e.g., PIATS will fail to damage mortars, even if you are standing next to them when you fire (either with normal attack, or with attack ground).

This drawback becomes more pronounced since the UKF lacks the indirect fire options to counter team weapons.

The only options I have found to cover for this role are the AT gun and snipers (takes too long & very risky).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 49
South Africa 1
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak