Login

russian armor

UKF Sniper Critical Shot

21 Nov 2015, 10:07 AM

Quite frankly, I was horrified when I saw the change. Not only was it moved up to Vet 1 (Which is acceptable), but it had the damaged engine critical removed too? I'm sorry, but how is this a good change? All other crits the sniper can do are not all that helpful.

While I am aware that Critical Shot made for several headaches to fight against, it was the only thing that made this skill useful. Since the British have no other snares that aren't mines or Doctrinal (AT Infantry Sections), this seems rather drastic.

I think it would be a good idea to make Critical Shot better with Vet 3. Kinda like how the Bren Carrier's Self-Repair gets better at Vet 3. In what way it gets better should be up for discussion.

EDIT:
I'd like to retract my previous grievances regarding Critical Shot. It would seems it has remained unchanged and the change indeed only affects the Sniper's normal shots. I would have known this sooner if it weren't for the fact it took almost two hours to get the mod to work...

Oh well. Still, go ahead and continue your discussion on the ability itself then. :P
21 Nov 2015, 10:45 AM

Quite frankly, I was horrified when I saw the change. Not only was it moved up to Vet 1 (Which is acceptable), but it had the damaged engine critical removed too? I'm sorry, but how is this a good change? All other crits the sniper can do are not all that helpful.

While I am aware that Critical Shot made for several headaches to fight against, it was the only thing that made this skill useful. Since the British have no other snares that aren't mines or Doctrinal (AT Infantry Sections), this seems rather drastic.

I think it would be a good idea to make Critical Shot better with Vet 3. Kinda like how the Bren Carrier's Self-Repair gets better at Vet 3. In what way it gets better should be up for discussion.

This is a good thing because the damn sniper could critical any armored unit, including a tiger tank :foreveralone:

The point of this is that it could simply cripple for example a 222, which is supposed to counter it if used properly. Yet it could simply critical shot it, retreat and wait for the 6 pounder to finish it off which is in the same tier and comes either before it or fairly quickly after the sniper is build.

#Legit

21 Nov 2015, 11:05 AM

I agree.

The sniper is a bit overpowered with how it can counter scout cars, but the brits will really hurt without another snare option.

My guess, is that it will force a couple piat purchases early, but thats barely even a soft counter against scout cars which can kite and dodge easily.

Forcing an AEC purchase just for the sake of a cheap 222, is no good either.
21 Nov 2015, 11:21 AM

In my opinion an AT snare on a cloaked unit that has a range of 50 offers no chances of counterplay:

Squads with snares can be kited & mines can be swept. The critical shot can not be avoided, it comes out of the blue.

Okw has also no snares on their core units but at least a schreck and their call in snares (falls, fusiliers) are good units that can be used in viable strats. While the boys at rifle squad is rather meh, even with the upcoming changes.

You will simply have to rely more on the AEC now and we will see how it turns out.
21 Nov 2015, 11:41 AM

75 fuel to counter a 15 fuel unit isn't exactly a favourable trade off.

I pretty firmly believe it wasn't overpowered in the slightest when you consider how it works with the faction. The critical shot is what compensated for the lower rate of fire compared to the ost sniper, and the lower endurance compared to the soviet. Both of those snipers also have better vet.

As has been pointed out already as well, it's the only snare the brits have and it doesn't snare anything with more armour than a luchs.

The main effect of this change will be to make it even easier for axis light vehicles to walk over brits.
21 Nov 2015, 11:56 AM

Tenid explained it pretty well. Without the critical shot, the UKF sniper is the least useful of the three and it's critical shot is made to compensate for it's admittedly poorer veterancy (aside from the survivability) and the lack of any snare available to the UKF.

Also having to rely on the AEC to snare is the worst idea ever - not only will it come out much later than the 222, so you better hope it doesn't find your sniper when it does, it will lack ANY other utility besides killing a 222.

I like to think of it this way - each faction has an early/mid game unit that can take on very light vehicles and kill infantry - for the USF it's the M20 or Stuart, for the Soviets it's the T70, for the Ost it's the 222/Flame HT and for the OKW it's the Flak HT (and to a lesser extent the Luchs). The UKF has no similar vehicles to their disposal, which is why they have the sniper - it's basically their version of the above listed units.

Also A.Schwarzenschnitzel, the sniper can only really crit light vehicles. Saying it crits a tiger (or anything heavier than a Luchs for that matter) is laughable since it ONLY jams the turret for about 5 seconds. No other damage to it. It is stupid against assault guns, since it temporarily stops their movement, but aside from that it's useless against anything but the lightest vehicles.
21 Nov 2015, 12:01 PM

In my opinion an AT snare on a cloaked unit that has a range of 50 offers no chances of counterplay:

Squads with snares can be kited & mines can be swept. The critical shot can not be avoided, it comes out of the blue.

Okw has also no snares on their core units but at least a schreck and their call in snares (falls, fusiliers) are good units that can be used in viable strats. While the boys at rifle squad is rather meh, even with the upcoming changes.

You will simply have to rely more on the AEC now and we will see how it turns out.

So I now have to spend 75 fuel and be forced in AEC tech to counter a 15 fuel 222/HT? Remind me again why your a strategist?
21 Nov 2015, 12:05 PM

The only problem with the critical shot was the engine damage. Just replace that particular critical.

alternatively, the critical shot should only cause a disable engine if the light vehicle's hp is less than 75%. Basically make it work like the faust/at nade.

This way a sniper can't instantly disable the engine of a full health 222 or luchs.

For those who are wondering:

240-40 = 200 (83% hp)

21 Nov 2015, 12:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2015, 12:01 PMpugzii

So I now have to spend 75 fuel and be forced in AEC tech to counter a 15 fuel 222/HT? Remind me again why your a strategist?

I don't judge, I just describe the reasons for the change and the consequences it has to your play. Whether this is balanced or not will be shown by time. The 222 is the supposed counter to the brit sniper. It's not the other way around.
21 Nov 2015, 13:05 PM

i think the critical Engine is when a % of the penetration of a Normal Shot Brits sniper did, Have u notice an Engine DMG all the sudden appear on the enemy tank?..

i think they fix that 1.. not the Ability Critical shot
21 Nov 2015, 13:20 PM

i think the critical Engine is when a % of the penetration of a Normal Shot Brits sniper did, Have u notice an Engine DMG all the sudden appear on the enemy tank?..

i think they fix that 1.. not the Ability Critical shot

critical depends on the type of target.

light vehicle (222, luch) will get a disabled engine

tanks (pziv, tiger) will get a temporary turret lock

casemate tanks (stug, jpz4) will get a temporary stun

weapon team (pak) will get a temporary weapon disable

infantry will get a messy death
21 Nov 2015, 13:25 PM

Well, OKW doesn't have a squishy 1 model unit to protect either and as you've said, they do have early reliable infantry at.

All UKF have now is underpowered call-in with boys AT rifles.
21 Nov 2015, 13:29 PM

Isnt it possible to bring out a 6pdr when 222 Hits the field? Park 6 pdr behind sniper, let sniper shoot 222 once, let 6pdr shoot once =dead 222
21 Nov 2015, 13:31 PM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2015, 12:01 PMpugzii

mines? ;)
21 Nov 2015, 13:33 PM

I don't judge, I just describe the reasons for the change and the consequences it has to your play. Whether this is balanced or not will be shown by time. The 222 is the supposed counter to the brit sniper. It's not the other way around.

I'd argue that since they gave the sniper an AT rifle rather than a scoped lee enfield, the sniper is in fact meant to counter a lightly armoured car.
21 Nov 2015, 13:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2015, 13:33 PMtenid

I'd argue that since they gave the sniper an AT rifle rather than a scoped lee enfield, the sniper is in fact meant to counter a lightly armoured car.

Softcounter it, I mean otherwise the sniper would need to cost atleast 500mp ( a unit which comes early and hard counters inf and Light vehicles?)
21 Nov 2015, 13:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2015, 13:33 PMtenid

From the Relic changes notes:

222 Scout Car

We wanted to introduce some counter player against snipers.
Now has 50% bonus accuracy against sniper types
Increase detection radius from 10 to 25

Whole post can be found here

The At Rifle does damage additional damage to vehicles when you protect it behind packs. I personally managed to take out medium tanks with it by hitting the rear Armour. It's also useful to destroy team weapons, especially in early-mid game where you don't really have the tanks to do that.

Like I said, Relic intends the UC, 222, M20, Kübel & M3 to be counter for snipers. Whether this is true is up for discussion (I personally don't agree).
21 Nov 2015, 13:50 PM

critical depends on the type of target.

light vehicle (222, luch) will get a disabled engine

tanks (pziv, tiger) will get a temporary turret lock

casemate tanks (stug, jpz4) will get a temporary stun

weapon team (pak) will get a temporary weapon disable

infantry will get a messy death

i know, that's the ability effect, im saying is that brits Sniper normal shot sometime Temporary disable the Tank engine for a brief moment,
21 Nov 2015, 14:31 PM

I'd like to retract my previous grievances regarding Critical Shot. It would seems it has remained unchanged and the change indeed only affects the Sniper's normal shots. I would have known this sooner if it weren't for the fact it took almost two hours to get the mod to work...

Oh well. Still, go ahead and continue your discussion on the ability itself then. :P
21 Nov 2015, 15:13 PM

Really, I love how the "shouldn't counter" etc argument is very, very one sided.

For starters, a snare more or less is a soft counter, more so when it's at range since you have plenty of space to get out of a bad situation.

The light vehicles as a sniper counter is again a very one sided argument since brits don't have any worthwile light vehicles.

Have a look at the british position vs snipers for example. You have two, maybe 3 options to to deal with ost snipers. The UC, which is worthless as a counter since grenadiers more or less counter it entirely. As do MG42s if they want to use incendiary rounds. You have the sniper itself to countersnipe, an option obviously open to the ostheer as well. Your last option is to try and set up a bofors before you get pushed off the map. Other than that you have to just hope you don't lose too much before you can roll out proper armour.

Are we seeing buffs to the UC's survivability or mobility to "help out"? Are grenadiers going to have the faust moved to vet 1 to make counterplay with virtually non-existant british light vehicles more viable? When it comes to light vehicles and their counters, the odds are already stacked quite strongly in favour of axis factions.

Feel free to correct me or provide other sniper counter options if you wish. It's entirely possible I've missed some. But all I see in this change is stacking the sniper game further in favour of the axis factions.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 80
Germany 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak