Login

russian armor

OKW Panther vs UKF Comet

13 Nov 2015, 16:31 PM

I see the thread kinda turned to Panther's intended role in the meantime, but first we need to be clear on whether or not the cost thing was satisfactorily resolved.

Things Panther has:
- Speed,
- Accelleration
- Range
- Frontal armour higher than the Tiger.
- Fantastic veterancy bonuses, starting at level 1
- Tolerable DPS versus infantry (MGs)

Things Panther doesn't have:
- Good Rate of fire

And of course people complain about what? Its rate of fire.

My question is : what else do people want for 175 fuel, exactly?

Oh and OP, I see you are active in this thread. So, can you give me a reply to this?

make a similiar list for comet for comparison ( cant comment on that, dont have brits)
13 Nov 2015, 16:32 PM

I see the thread kinda turned to Panther's intended role in the meantime, but first we need to be clear on whether or not the cost thing was satisfactorily resolved.

Things Panther has:
- Speed,
- Accelleration
- Range
- Frontal armour higher than the Tiger.
- Fantastic veterancy bonuses, starting at level 1
- Tolerable DPS versus infantry (MGs)

Things Panther doesn't have:
- Good Rate of fire

And of course people complain about what? Its rate of fire.

My question is : what else do people want for 175 fuel, exactly?

Oh and OP, I see you are active in this thread. So, can you give me a reply to this?

I want su-76 not to penetrate my frontal armour regularly at long range,since u make armor such a big issue.A little buff in dps would be necessary.Otherwise you know nobody even bothers with it these days,just jp4/pz4 or command panther.I've used both and in terms of effectiveness panther can't hold a candy to JP4.
JP4 is the last OKW unit standing.Rest of the faction nerfed into the ground and wiped out.
13 Nov 2015, 16:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2015, 14:10 PMpR1sm

British units are better/op currently because they are new and gotta sell those DLC's.
Anyways Panther is useless vs anyone who buys more than 1 Anti-Tank Gun.
Try to have fun until you realize the game is unbalanced, then move on.

For example Starcraft II in addition to free multiplayer , now has free co-op mode.

Or a real RTS like Supreme Commander.
13 Nov 2015, 17:01 PM
Patrion 310

British units are better/op currently because they are new and gotta sell those DLC's.

Its probably useless if you yolo it into an entire army full of AT and snares. If you bothered (or could) micro it even a bit, it becomes a very strong and versatile tank. They still beat a comet 1v1 more often than not as well and can kill pretty much any allied armour 1v1.
13 Nov 2015, 17:24 PM

For example Starcraft II in addition to free multiplayer , now has free co-op mode.

Or a real RTS like Supreme Commander.

Free multiplayer? :sibHyena:

You can play a single faction on a limited map poll.

That isn't free, that is preview.
And since you give them so much credit about coop, do you even know what ToW is?
13 Nov 2015, 17:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 16:11 PMpR1sm

mate, all stats are in the OP

its 6.32

Well, this guy said panter have 7,38 reload but it's actually 6,1-6,4.

http://www.coh2-stats.com/ballistic_weapons/panther_kwk42_75mm_mp

Reload: Duration min: 6,1, Duration max: 6.4.

If Comet have 6,32 they are same.
13 Nov 2015, 18:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 17:46 PMNEVEC

Well, this guy said panter have 7,38 reload but it's actually 6,1-6,4.

http://www.coh2-stats.com/ballistic_weapons/panther_kwk42_75mm_mp

Reload: Duration min: 6,1, Duration max: 6.4.

If Comet have 6,32 they are same.

6.1-6.4 + 1 second wind down.
13 Nov 2015, 18:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Then we add fire aim time and ready aim time...
13 Nov 2015, 18:59 PM

Don't it aims at the same time when it reloads?
13 Nov 2015, 19:11 PM

Its probably useless if you yolo it into an entire army full of AT and snares. If you bothered (or could) micro it even a bit, it becomes a very strong and versatile tank. They still beat a comet 1v1 more often than not as well and can kill pretty much any allied armour 1v1.

He was talking about non-noobs who can buy at guns and use combined arms.....

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 17:24 PMKatitof

Free multiplayer? :sibHyena:

You can play a single faction on a limited map poll.

That isn't free, that is preview.
And since you give them so much credit about coop, do you even know what ToW is?

Ignorance is bliss. :clap: Huh?

You register for free and you have access to all factions, all maps, all units and multiplayer + matchmaking except ladder/campaign.

+plus if you join a friend who bought sc2 you get access to ladder.
13 Nov 2015, 20:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2015, 15:19 PMHiflex

And what would be so special about that? Everyone(tank with a turret) can circle a solo AT gun to death.

Not circling, just parking it infront of zis gun and killing it before it kills the panther.
13 Nov 2015, 21:03 PM

Not circling, just parking it infront of zis gun and killing it before it kills the panther.

While we are at it, aren't AT guns being decrewed a bit too easily through frontal attacks in CoH2? Sometimes it feels like that. On both sides. Like, aiming down a bridge, tank comes in, AT gun shot bounces (of course), tank shoots and kills the first guy.
13 Nov 2015, 22:28 PM
Patrion 14

Otherwise you know nobody even bothers with it these days,
I see plenty of Panthers in the meta, including 1v1s and especially in team games. Any Panther buffs will ensure they dominate the team games. Some people don't like team game balancing, and I sorta agree that 1v1s are more important balance-wise, but at least some consideration should be given.

JP is pure tank destroyer so of course it is better AT than the Panther. And Su76's penetration is the problem of Su76, not the Panther, and I like how you have to reach for the only Soviet unit whose penetration is disproportionately high for cost in order to prove Panther's armour is not all that impressive, that speaks in favour of the Panther's armour more than I ever could argue on my own.

I am not even arguing that the Panther absolutely, positively doesn't deserve a DPS buff. But considering its relative cost to the Comet and the fact that it wins more often than not, except when RNG happens... it is in a good place, for cost.
13 Nov 2015, 22:42 PM
Patrion 14

make a similiar list for comet for comparison ( cant comment on that, dont have brits)
I can't be arsed to dig stats to check which tank is faster but the general consensus seems to be that Panther has better maneuverability, Comet has better top speed, Comet fires approximately 13% faster, Panther has roughly 10% higher armour and penetration. Their range is identical. The two tanks are pretty comparable in AT role, with Panther having a slight edge that can be undermined by RNG. Both get insanely useful vet1 bonuses, although it could be argued that Comet gets War Speed for free as part of the Hammer tech.

The only considerable edge Comet has over the Panther is that its main gun is vastly superior in an anti-infantry role to a Panther, so I suppose that's the angle people come from, since Panther is AT only it should be better.

Also worth considering that at Vet2 Panther becomes basically a different tank. It has an insane vet2 bonus, from that point onwards it will so far outclass a Vet2 comet or any comparable armour that it isn't even funny. Whether that is something that should be taken into consideration is a different matter.
13 Nov 2015, 23:37 PM

I'm pretty sure both the comet and panther have the same aim time anyway, so that extra time sort of cancel each other out in a comparison.

I can't be arsed to dig stats to check which tank is faster but the general consensus seems to be that Panther has better maneuverability, Comet has better top speed, Comet fires approximately 13% faster, Panther has roughly 10% higher armour and penetration. Their range is identical. The two tanks are pretty comparable in AT role, with Panther having a slight edge that can be undermined by RNG.

panther pen: 220/240/ 260
comet pen: 170/190/210

the difference in penetration is quite huge. Surely more than 10%.

also remember that comet is more expensive than the panther. I will say that the OST teching cost is too high.
13 Nov 2015, 23:48 PM

Hello there,

For the record, i have been playing coh 1 since 2008 being constant top 100 2on2 and have 1 month in coh2 so far with a positive winrate.

In one of my first coh2 games, my freshly built panther lost to a full-hp comet in a 1on1 without any inteference from other units, all shots against each tanks front. fair and square. was quite shocked. recently i remembered that particular fight and found a website which contains the stats for the british units:

OKW Panther (dedicated AT-Tank):
Cost(effectively) 490/232
HP 800
Armor 320
Penetration 260/240/220
Damage 160
Cooldown-Average 7.38 sec
Range 50

UKF Comet (AI as well as AT capabilities):
Cost(effectively 500/185
HP 800
Armor 290
Penetration 240/220/200
Damage 160
Cooldown-Average 6.32 sec <====
Range 50

Can anybody explain to me in non-"lelic" terms how the panther, a dedicated AT tank without any AI capabilites except for crushing, can perfectly well loose to an non-AT unit that deals good damage to infantry and is even almost 50 fuel cheaper? they have the same range as well, so you can't even kite the comet. how are people complaining about vet 3 rifle blobs (granted, they are slightly OP) but not lamenting this fact? Unit A, supposed to counter Units like B, has a more than moderate chance of losing to B, which is supposed to be only decent against units like A and B while being far cheaper. what the hell
the same problem also exists between the OST panther and the comet, but with the cost difference being sliiiiightly in the panthers favor at 10/10. the fundamental problem persits even in that case though.
its like a sherman or cromwell winning against a jagdpanzer 4 at long range

total cost of comet is not 185...its 235 fuel including the hammer research. (50 fuel)
14 Nov 2015, 00:40 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm pretty sure both the comet and panther have the same aim time anyway, so that extra time sort of cancel each other out in a comparison.

Yeah, but i'm just saying that the reload for both is wrong (it's just a little higher).
14 Nov 2015, 00:51 AM
Patrion 14

UKF Comet (AI as well as AT capabilities): Penetration 240/220/200

comet pen: 170/190/210
Which is it?
14 Nov 2015, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Penetration listed by OP is wrong. Firesparks is correct.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★