Reworked Useless Commanders

2 Nov 2015, 00:27 AM

I photoshopped a couple commanders that I thought could be better

Soviet Defensive Tactics

USF Recon Company

German Infantry Doctrine

Watcha think?
2 Nov 2015, 00:33 AM

The different infantry doctrine would be interesting, however, defensive doctrine, as of now, is pretty good. As for Recon Company, I pretend I don't have because, for me, it's useless.
2 Nov 2015, 00:48 AM

I actually would use German inf tactic. Looks awesome :p
2 Nov 2015, 00:51 AM

The different infantry doctrine would be interesting, however, defensive doctrine, as of now, is pretty good. As for Recon Company, I pretend I don't have because, for me, it's useless.

I don't really think the current Defensive Tactics is good at all. It gives you everything at 2 CP, giving you nothing in the late game.

M-42 AT Gun: No reason why you'd pick this over a regular Zis.

Dushka: Kinda good, but it's expensive and AP rounds are pretty pathetic actually are very good (just tested) but it's hard to keep vehicles in the small arc.

120mm HM: This is a good part of the commander, but again, it's a pretty big investment.

Anti-infantry Mines: These aren't too bad, but they're not too useful either. TM-35 mines pretty much do the same thing.

Tank traps: Can be useful, but should be in a package, not a single passive ability (like I did in the reworked commander.
2 Nov 2015, 01:08 AM

Kyle pls get in here and take notes and forward to the team pls.
2 Nov 2015, 02:12 AM

I think they're fine as they are.

Especially Recon. Nowhere near a bad doctrine, just a different playstyle and a bit overshadowed by the amazing array of doctrines that americans have.

2 Nov 2015, 02:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2015, 00:51 AMF1sh
M-42 AT Gun: No reason why you'd pick this over a regular Zis.

Give em' a good vet ability, scaling issues all fixed.

I imagine a Take Aim-esque ability except fire-rate is traded for penetration would do the job nicely - obviously, not enough penetration to make it be as effective as ZiS-3s against mediums and up, but enough to reasonably expect a couple of them to be able to at least drive tanks off.
2 Nov 2015, 02:33 AM

I think they're fine as they are.

Especially Recon. Nowhere near a bad doctrine, just a different playstyle and a bit overshadowed by the amazing array of doctrines that americans have.

But there's absolutely no reason to use Recon over Airborne, for example.

Forward Observers is bugged and probably will never be fixed. I&R Pathfinders are situational and weaker than Airborne pathfinders. Greyhound is an overpriced piece of shit. It loses head on to a 222. Recon airplane is redundant, just use the Major's.

Airdropped Combat Group can be good, but 900 manpower is a massive investment. They drop with either bazookas or M1919s. This can be good, but I'd rather be able to choose what I want to upgrade to.

I've never seen anyone ever use the Infantry Doctrine. Nobody would use Defensive Tactics in competitive gameplay. They simply just aren't well designed.
2 Nov 2015, 02:45 AM

some of this stuff should be in core armies not by the commander system.

Also I think USF Radio intercept is overpowered, because Radio intercept is balanced around the terrible non doc soviet units, imagine rifle blobs roaming the country side with this knowledge would push them further over the edge.
2 Nov 2015, 02:55 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2015, 02:45 AMUnited
Also I think USF Radio intercept is overpowered, because Radio intercept is balanced around the terrible non doc soviet units, imagine rifle blobs roaming the country side with this knowledge would push them further over the edge.

I don't see how Rifle blobs will be able to blob any more severely while aware that a Battlegroup HQ has been made or a 222 is on the field.
2 Nov 2015, 03:15 AM

Really op, I wish that relic would change commanders but that simply won't happen. You haven't been the first guy proposing changes and you won't be the last.
The only thing relic ever changed was elite armour doctrine from okw with the P4 - Sturmtiger swap.
2 Nov 2015, 03:16 AM

I like all but Recon company. To me:

0 CP Scout Training

Reworked to an active, toggleable ability that makes a Rifle squad stationary, unable to retreat, for 10 secs while they scan an area. Think like IR half track, if it couldn't see through objects and only had lots of sight range.

0 CP Greyhound

Greyhound is now built from LT tier, under M20 just like EZ8 is from M4A3 Sherman. Greyhounds price decreased to 30 fuel, and crew renamed Greyhound Crew. They can lay AT mines when disembarked.

2 CP IR Pathfinders

IR Pathfinders reworked, reinforce costs reflect what they are. Reinforce down to 25.

5 CP High Altitude Recon

This is a teamwork ability. It's fine imo, especially as it can't be shot down.

7 CP Air Dropped Combat Group

Drops 2 Elite Paratrooper Squads and a manned AT gun, is a 720 MP purchase still. However:

Elite Paratroopers default weapon are Thompsons, can sprint, and have 1.25 armor. At vet 3 they can camo. Basically, Paratroopers on drugs. This gives the ability some real teeth, while still retaining the high cost. Dropping the AT as manned is a quality of life changes that encourages its use more.

2 Nov 2015, 03:19 AM

Yo

If these commanders (particularly the SOV/OST ones) were changed in these ways the game would be that much more Kreygasm.
2 Nov 2015, 03:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2015, 02:55 AMVuther

I don't see how Rifle blobs will be able to blob any more severely while aware that a Battlegroup HQ has been made or a 222 is on the field.

Imagine if I want to make a flame Halftrack and attack. USF gets the intel I built the halftrack. Obviously that means only one thing. I get countered by Stuart immeditly. I lose because
1:Its USF
2:FHT had no impact because of radio intercept
3:USF knows my composition

If i build 2 Mg teams (like building grens at all is effective against USF) USF intantly gets grenades

You see how game ending this is? USF already has a big chance of winning games by the 5 min mark, why make their early game even more stronger?
2 Nov 2015, 04:02 AM
Patrion 27

I really like the Ostheer Infantry commander you have here! I also want to see the KV1 in another commander and this may be good enough.

I like Recon but keep the normal Forward Observers at 1CP (the ability is nearly bug free now, only not displaying an icon when in garrison but it does work,) and replace the terrible combat group with the standard 3 CP Paratroopers from Airborne. Please also give the Greyhound the proper 45mm gun that the Stuart also uses.

Also please combine "Vehicle Crew Thompsons" with "Refit" so Mechanized and Armor have access to both.

The Paratrooper change and Thompson/Refit would add just enough overlap and redundancy for players to actually try some more creative build orders instead of just picking Elite Rifles or a Pershing :hansGASM: and having effectively one unused commander slot.

Phy
2 Nov 2015, 21:30 PM

Defensive doc for soviets... so sweet:)
2 Nov 2015, 21:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2015, 21:30 PMPhy
Defensive doc for soviets... so sweet:)

That one's my favorite, I really hope Relic listens and reworks a couple commanders
2 Nov 2015, 22:04 PM

Actually general reworked doctrine topics is low lvl players fantasies, but that ideas actually very logical, and in a right way to create better alternatives for game meta...
2 Nov 2015, 22:22 PM

I thought in the last patch the bugged recon riflemen were fixed, might have to look at it again.

I do not know about the soviet redesign but the recon one looks good, the ostheer one looks like it would be overshadowed by ostruppen as it looks similar to it.

I think a good start to fixing Ostheer commanders would be to change their ambush bonus back to the damage bonus instead of accuracy since testing it recently you dont get a lot of firepower out of the 5 seconds it lasts. Also change how G43s behave on panzergrenadiers its confusing for me when to upgrade those.

Sadly with new commanders and expansions coming out old commanders have been left in the dust recently with old technology like abilities that not only provide a buff but also call in an airstrike at the same time (hold the line) or do artillery and drops a falls squad (luftwaffe).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 60
Korea, Republic Of 20
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak