Login

russian armor

Graphic card suggestions

21 Jan 2016, 08:50 AM

Most of the performance problems in COH2 seem to be CPU related, not GPU related. I went from a GTX 570 to a GTX970, and there wasn't much of a performance change. The only thing that improved was being able to max out texture quality, since the lowly ~1.2gb on the 570 was getting maxed out constantly, and causing stuttering. Otherwise, the FPS was pretty much the same (since nothing else changed).

What are the rest of your specs? CPU/RAM/etc.?

Since you are all so interested in this tread, after its been resolved.
How about you guys help me with something that still plauges me?

I have a core i3 running at 3ghz clock speed
4 gigs of ddr3 ram running at 1333 mhz
gtx 750 ti with 1 gb of on board ram

Im fairly happy with the performance, its by no means great, but it runs on medium-ish settings just fine @ about 70 - 80 fps whilst idle in 1v1.

That being said.

I get stutter lag, the fps drops to zero for a second or two. This annoys the shit out of me.
My friend told me that his stutter was resolved by replacing his display card. But I still have stutter.

What should be my check list?
21 Jan 2016, 09:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 08:50 AMJewdo

Well, I guess I can't read.

Im fairly happy with the performance, its by no means great, but it runs on medium-ish settings just fine @ about 70 - 80 fps whilst idle in 1v1.

That being said.

I get stutter lag, the fps drops to zero for a second or two. This annoys the shit out of me.
My friend told me that his stutter was resolved by replacing his display card. But I still have stutter.

I've had this happen when doing pretty heavy read/writes while playing, so in theory, it could be that (or just a slow HDD). It's a long shot, since this really shouldn't be a problem unless you're using a very, VERY slow drive (or doing very disk-heavy stuff at the same time), so i'd say its probably something else.

My guess would be the ram; 4gb really isn't a lot these days. Sitting here with a few tabs open and little else, I'm using 3.86gb. If you have pagefile enabled (on a 4gb system, my guess is that you do), that means that once you reach 4gb,it starts to use the HDD as temporary storage. Obviously, this is very slow compared to ram, so it could be causing stutter.

An easy way to check would be to run CoH2 in windowed mode, and have task manager open while playing. Just check the RAM usage every now and then; especially when it starts to stutter. My bet is that it occurs when you're pretty much at max ram usage.

21 Jan 2016, 09:37 AM

My board has two slots and its occupied with 2x 2gb memory sticks, I wanted to get another 4 gb but, yea. ^^

Guess I could grab 2x 4gb modules 2day.

Ill try this, thanks.

Edit: Actually, screw it. Not buying jack.
21 Jan 2016, 12:28 PM

Most of the performance problems in COH2 seem to be CPU related, not GPU related. I went from a GTX 570 to a GTX970, and there wasn't much of a performance change. The only thing that improved was being able to max out texture quality, since the lowly ~1.2gb on the 570 was getting maxed out constantly, and causing stuttering. Otherwise, the FPS was pretty much the same (since nothing else changed).

What are the rest of your specs? CPU/RAM/etc.?

21 Jan 2016, 13:24 PM

Im gonna blow out my pc clean after work and run a disc defrag, see if that helps
21 Jan 2016, 13:59 PM

i have a R7 370 2gb, can run the game at max settings 40-80 fps,
but anti aliasing off.
21 Jan 2016, 16:53 PM

CoH2 doesn't even support SLI ?!

WoW ! Jeez. And here I was considering going crossfire r9 290s for crossfire... Glad I read your post.

Yeah, something to do with how they implemented coldtech snow/footprints makes it so that SLI/CF degrade performance so it is simply disabled.

For what it's worth though, 290 CF is worth it for most other games. Especially if you want to do higher resolutions.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 08:50 AMJewdo

That being said.

Try turning texture quality down to medium or high.

A lot of stutter is caused by consuming too much video memory. A 2GB card like a 750Ti generally will want to run most games at mediumish texture settings for anything released in the last couple of years.
21 Jan 2016, 17:28 PM

Yea its a 2gb, not 1gb, my bad. I was on high, ill see if still happens on medium. I kinda dropped my hdd last night and my pc is not functioning today :D running a check disc. Nothing more fun than more work after work
21 Jan 2016, 17:51 PM

r9 390 is the current meta card for money/performance

coh 2 is more cpu heavy though than gpu imo
AVA
21 Jan 2016, 22:40 PM

I have a i7 4790k + gtx 970 and running 130-150 fps, no drops.

22 Jan 2016, 00:27 AM

r9 390 is the current meta card for money/performance

coh 2 is more cpu heavy though than gpu imo

CPU doesn't do much to really boost performance in CoH2. There's a bottleneck somewhere that isn't GPU related, but it isn't necessarily CPU.
22 Jan 2016, 03:12 AM

There is absolutely no reason to upgrade your computer for this game. It is one of the worst-coded games out there and full of severe bugs. I upgraded once already and COH2 was one of the reasons why. It made no difference and if you read the boards, you will see the same.

It is a terribly optimized game.
22 Jan 2016, 03:26 AM

CPU doesn't do much to really boost performance in CoH2. There's a bottleneck somewhere that isn't GPU related, but it isn't necessarily CPU.

There are engine bottelnecks of some kind and the performance is crap all round yeah. They need to take it back to the drawing board for CoH3 and really rip the guts out of the engine.

Their target video card should be the Intel HD 4400 for 30fps with consistent frame pacing on minimum settings. Adding beefy vid cards should let you crank the graphics up, but the game needs to run and look "okish" on garbage, non-spec computers if they want even the slimmest shot at mass appeal.
22 Jan 2016, 06:30 AM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 13:24 PMJewdo
Im gonna blow out my pc clean after work and run a disc defrag, see if that helps

if you have windows 7 or later (and probably vista) windows auto defrags so it's not going to do anything.
22 Jan 2016, 08:47 AM

if you have windows 7 or later (and probably vista) windows auto defrags so it's not going to do anything.

I did a diskchk. and it DID do something. It screwed up my pc. Open coh2.AMD catalyst opens, pc freezes. open any exe, pc freezes. Re doing windows today.
22 Jan 2016, 09:23 AM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 08:47 AMJewdo

I did a diskchk. and it DID do something. It screwed up my pc. Open coh2.AMD catalyst opens, pc freezes. open any exe, pc freezes. Re doing windows today.

pain in the ass but always a good thing to do. 2nd HDD makes reinstalling everything a LOT easier.
22 Jan 2016, 10:24 AM

We have a IT division, so I have all the tools I need. Still a annoyance though.
22 Jan 2016, 10:33 AM

stutter has nothing to do with the hdd unless the files where loaded into ram damaged. because all games are played in ram.

the stutter is most prob the ram. coh 2 is ram hungry up to 14gigs lol
22 Jan 2016, 11:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 10:33 AMDAZ187
stutter has nothing to do with the hdd unless the files where loaded into ram damaged. because all games are played in ram.

the stutter is most prob the ram. coh 2 is ram hungry up to 14gigs lol

Who are you? I seem to recognize you but, nope, cant remember. :P
22 Jan 2016, 16:15 PM

So I copied all my game folders (not steam backup through steam) there is no way to add them back to steam without re downloading? :(
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight