Login

russian armor

Halftrack transport suggestion

25 Oct 2015, 16:15 PM

A little while ago there was a thread discussing the loading times of troops into halftracks. However, I think the problem with HT transport is more profound than merely the time it takes to get troops in or out. I think the real issue is that it takes too many actions to be worthwhile.

First you have to select the troops, and then right click the HT; then you have to wait for the troops to get in. Then you have to select the HT, and give it its destination. You can use the unload order for one of the squads, which is convenient, but limited. If you want both to get out, you have to monitor it when it arrives.

I have a suggestion for making HT's easier to use, in the hopes that we might actually see some mechanised infantry type play. I propose giving the HT a chain button like that which the British officers in CoH1 had. After clicking the chain, you link it to as many squads as your HT can carry (I think it's all 2). From that point, if you give the HT a move order, the troops automatically load up. When the HT reaches its destination, they automatically unload.

The idea that this would be a sort of dedicated mobile group until the chain relationship was cancelled. This way your troops arrive and deploy without your intervention, so the group as a whole can be used for harassment and counter-harassment. All you have to do is tell the HT where to go next.

I can imagine a number of potential problems. Say you forget that you chained a squad to the HT, and use it normally; then you move the HT just for reinforce purposes; suddenly the chained squad would start moving toward the HT. That kind of thing would need to be considered.

What do you think of this idea? Alternately, what else could be done to make the transport function of HT's more useful and usable?
25 Oct 2015, 16:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Quite interested, definitely can agree the amount of buttons to press makes transporting at least feel rarely worthwhile.
25 Oct 2015, 17:39 PM

+1 sweet idea OP
25 Oct 2015, 18:09 PM

+1. Mechanized play could be very interesting, but as you said it takes a lot of clicking, and input delay makes it worse.
25 Oct 2015, 19:33 PM

I would like to see some improvements in Half Track riding.
I honestly never ever used this function in CoH2.
25 Oct 2015, 19:46 PM

I really don't think the existing micro demands are that overbearing.

Like don't get me wrong, it'd be a good quality of life improvement for some. But it'd take 2 minutes to make them viable just by letting units hop in quicker. This would take a bit more effort to implement.

26 Oct 2015, 18:55 PM

I for one would love this as it would help make it easier to do mechanized flanks and deep raids into enemy territory. i like how easy it is to get units out but as others have stated, it takes so long to get units into the HT and you can't afford to linger on screen waiting for it to happen as you have to micro elsewhere which leads to inefficiency of your forces.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★