Login

russian armor

jaeger infantry commander viability?

22 Jun 2013, 16:42 PM

What do you guys think about the jaeger infantry commander? I want to like this commander because on paper it seems like it could be amazingly fun to use and allow for a lot of cool tactics with ambush camouflage, but in practice it just hasn't felt worth it to me yet. I've been messing around with the G43 a bit lately and it just doesn't feel worth the 60 munitions for me. On grenadiers the lmg42 seems way stronger in virtually every situation. On panzergrenadiers it seems decent, but for 60 munition I often feel like I'd be better off spending that on something else, maybe it's just me but they just don't seem all that strong.

As for ambush camouflage, i've barely used it. 30 munitions isn't that much but it still seems hard to justify getting camouflage before you've upgraded all your infantry squads with lmg42s or g43s/panzershreks. I can see the camouflage being quite good later in the game when munis are more plentiful and you have a lot of veteran infantry, but I have yet to play a game thats gone late as jaeger infantry doctrine since I've really only been using it when I get ahead early game and am confident I'm going to win.

Tactical movement seems like it could be really good as well. I can't remember how much munis it costs though.

Overall jaeger infantry seems like a good concept but it just doesn't feel potent enough to me. Granted I haven't used it enough to really know for sure... thats just my initial impression.

What do you guys think? P.S. Interrogation is awesome but as far as I can tell it only reveals the enemies units on your minimap? I can't recognize untis based on their minimap icons, particularly vehicles. I suppose that will come with time.
22 Jun 2013, 17:43 PM

Tactical Movement costs 30 munitions. I wish it only cost 5 munitions and would be restricted to a single unit, like Oorah.

G43s are actually good. They don't do as much damage as LMG, but they deal it more consistently since they can be used while moving.

IMO the primary weakness of the Jaeger Infantry doctrine is that it's TOO infantry focused. Camo, G43, tac movement, but also incendiary artillery (vs. normal artillery) and the stuka that comes too late and for too high a price. If the artillery was normal that'd be fine. It's unlikely if you're playing this doctrine that you'd be losing against infantry anyway.
22 Jun 2013, 17:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge

but also incendiary artillery

Jaeger Infantry does have standard artillery- only doctrine in the game to feature a regular howitzer barrage ala COH1 howitzer shoot.

Incendiary artillery is found in the shock/kv8/is2 doctrine and the conscript support doctrine.
22 Jun 2013, 17:49 PM

G43 make Grens say,

"We've done something useful today!"
22 Jun 2013, 17:53 PM

Jaeger Infantry does have standard artillery- only doctrine in the game to feature a regular howitzer barrage ala COH1 howitzer shoot.

Incendiary artillery is found in the shock/kv8/is2 doctrine and the conscript support doctrine.

Sorry, my fault. It's called the "Light Artillery Barrage". I think of it as incendiary because from my own personal experience, its damage against tanks is poor.
22 Jun 2013, 20:43 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

The doctrine is good, but its so munition heavy, this means the whole doctrine is based on munition, no fuel or manpower is needed. I tried a strat with it, 4 grens and g43. It's remarkable how munition just vanishes and you can't plant any mines or use special abilites, because you need to upgrades as fast as you can. I think the solution would be to lessen the cost, because atm it is not worth it. In 2v2 it can work, but thats a double edged sword, because you don't wanna loose those expensive squads. One thing i do like about the g43 upgrade, is that you can upgrade the squads with LMG aswell, so the squad will pretty much rambo other infantry.

PS: calling it infantry focused is wrong, your early game is infantry focused(mgs, grens, snipers, mortars),but if you're planning on making as many grens as possible the entire game, then yea, That way you will loose.
23 Jun 2013, 00:44 AM

It's a lot like Infantry company in VCoH or the Hit the Dirt doctrine (in terms of the infantry based doctrines)

The only problem is that the infantry handheld AT does next to no great damage to armour with both Sovs and Germans - they tend to just get crits. (Germans tend to do more damage with their Schrecks and fausts - but not enough to repel tanks).
23 Jun 2013, 02:45 AM

I use him too. IMO Tactical movement is the best for your team squad to move fast (very great when u order all of your infrantry to attack) and Jagger gun too is worth for your team. light barrage and its final skill are good too.

However, for ambush camouflage, I've never used it before, because I don't know how to use it properly and grenadier is not my core army(sigh).
24 Jun 2013, 14:00 PM

However, for ambush camouflage, I've never used it before, because I don't know how to use it properly and grenadier is not my core army(sigh).

I use it only on HMG

here is the secret I love with this skill, hold fireit will now not shoot when in camo but when spooted

also note that HMG is kinda meh on long range but if the idiots unaware run right into the HMG nest you can easy see 3-4 concript fall in less than 2 sec!, congratulation! you're HMG is now a death trap ! even shocktroppers get some serious problem

second cool effect it is defense vs snipers, snipers can't shoot what they can't see and is great defense vs the clownbuss sniper , a veteran-1 HMG can use ARP-rounds and make shreder cheese offf the clown car.

it is only 30 muni anyway and if you not going grenadairs and rather use panzer grenadair you will have a good amount of munition if you not get shreder(that is imo waste of muni if it is not last resort, you do NOT want a shreder fallen to an enemy soviet player...)

24 Jun 2013, 19:47 PM

I actually love this doctrine and it is the one I manly use!

I will build a good 3 Grens in early game and spend early munis on LMG42s ASAP...then later get also G43s on these same Grens. With Vet 2 or 3 they are completly OP!

I only use Camo on MGs and Pgrens...Pgrens are great for Ambushes a bit like the Stormtroopers in COH1.On MGS in winter maps it is insane .....MGs in deep snow will get a damage bonus on initial bursts and are great in defending held territory.

Finally I spend all remaining munis on Tact movement. It is a great ability...and can make it seem like you have way more troops then you do when you are moving Grens and PGrans from one point to another.

Agreed in early to mid game you will almost always be very low on munis....but if your game last longer....past say 25mins....youll be able to use the Artillery barrage which is IMO one of the best currently. It hits a bit like the defensive barrage in COH1....one initial shell then a bunch more around the same spot...shredding any enemy Inf under it.

I think its more of a support Doctrine....its not a Doctrine where you wait for the game changing unlock to give you the Win...like an Is2 or A Tiger etc...It will strengthen your infantry troops. You still need to get some decent armor to secure win IMO.
27 Jun 2013, 14:44 PM

What I dislike, is the fact that with 1cp you get cammo, something that most of the time is not used until later in the game because in the early game cammo isn't worth on units that don't already have a weapon upgrade. Also you get g43s only with 2 cps, while some soviet commanders get guards and mortar at 1cp or guards and htd at 1cp and and ppsh at 2cp. In my opinion cammo and g43 should be unlocked both with 1cp, and maybe rearrange the rest of the ability's/cps
27 Jun 2013, 16:20 PM

I don't find it particularly viable. At no point are its abilities particularly useful.

Camo - useful on HMG for the trick noted above, but that's about it.

G43 - comes too late, too expensive.

Tactical Movement - Meh. It's like "sprint" for PGs back in CoH1, did anyone really care about it?

Arty - too many munitions for too little effect.

Stuka - too many munitions for too little effect.

Basically, if you managed to OP every single point and for whatever reason had some Opel trucks providing more muni, then it would be useful. As it stands, EVERY SINGLE THING requires munitions in an already munitions starved faction.

The reason the doctrine fails is because it's mutually exclusive to itself and to the Ostheer faction. I can buy G43 OR I can buy LMG. I can plant expensive mines OR I can save for arty. Etc.

Suggestions to fix:
- G43 become a researchable global upgrade at the HQ for all grenadier squads that costs MP / fuel (like BARs) once unlocked.

- Tactical Movement moved to a per squad ability basis and made substantially cheaper, ie 5-10 muni.

- Replace one of the abilities (arty / stuka) with some sort of callin. Basically something that isn't munitions based. Could be stormtroopers as that would fit nicely with the whole infantry thing, but whatever.
27 Jun 2013, 17:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2013, 14:00 PMRoaRawR

I use it only on HMG

here is the secret I love with this skill, hold fireit will now not shoot when in camo but when spooted

also note that HMG is kinda meh on long range but if the idiots unaware run right into the HMG nest you can easy see 3-4 concript fall in less than 2 sec!, congratulation! you're HMG is now a death trap ! even shocktroppers get some serious problem

second cool effect it is defense vs snipers, snipers can't shoot what they can't see and is great defense vs the clownbuss sniper , a veteran-1 HMG can use ARP-rounds and make shreder cheese offf the clown car.

it is only 30 muni anyway and if you not going grenadairs and rather use panzer grenadair you will have a good amount of munition if you not get shreder(that is imo waste of muni if it is not last resort, you do NOT want a shreder fallen to an enemy soviet player...)

Oh thx u , I will try that
2 Jul 2013, 15:31 PM

you dont have to give camo to all your units. unless you are floating in munitions. here are the uses of the jaeger comand skill.

camo. grenadiers with cammo are good for scouting make them so that they dont shoot. leaving your squishy sniper back. while they hang in the front of your hmg or at. and if a tank or a car comes. surprize panzer out of camo the soon to be dead vehicle.

a camo hmg is a very hard to kill hmg.

camo panzer grenadiers are very good for ambushes.

the g43 is a beast in my opinion. (not counting that i like the sound) it is also very good with your grenadiers giving them a higer damage and a nice skill to interrogate fallen enemies.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2013, 17:49 PMPorygon
G43 make Grens say,

"We've done something useful today!"

indeed.

the tactical movement can help move your troops back and forth from the hq or make a sprint for an assault.

the arty skills are pretty self explanatory.

now in game this is how i implement it.

frist i beging with the asortment of suport weapons hmgs mortars. then come the infantry.

i give my greens (usualy 2) both hmg and g42 upgrades. then build panzer grenadiers and give them camo. in combat i use the greens attack move comand while i micro the panzergrenadiers. for the close combat. the damage the greens deal when stationary is a great complement of the damage+disrruption the pgrenadiers do. by that time i should have won most of the early engagements and control of the map. if you havent. then you are doing it wrong. the end game goal is to have vet grenadiers suporting your tanks. and then win.

my main use of cammo is scouting. for my hmg and AT nothing beats them if you have time ahead and you know whats coming.
2 Jul 2013, 18:04 PM

One important thing I learned from the DPS calculations from yesterday is that the G43 is pretty much always better than getting the LMG:

DPS chart

That in and of itself practically makes this doctrine worthwhile.
2 Jul 2013, 20:49 PM

I really like it for my extended T1 strategy. The G43 + LMG42 grenadiers pack quite a punch.
2 Jul 2013, 21:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2013, 18:04 PMAdder
One important thing I learned from the DPS calculations from yesterday is that the G43 is pretty much always better than getting the LMG:

DPS chart

That in and of itself practically makes this doctrine worthwhile.
Based on this chart it appears to have better dps than the Sturmgewehr 44 both close and far as well.
2 Jul 2013, 21:21 PM

Based on this chart it appears to have better dps than the Sturmgewehr 44 both close and far as well.

The problem is, only 2 of your men have G43's. PG's all carry Sturmgewhers. The advantage of the G43 is both its increased damage, and its icnreased accuracy and range to the kar98.

Ambush is a waste of munitions. Yes, you can pull of a pretty trick or two with it, but most of the times, you need to keep moving. If you aren't, then you are already winning considerably and didn't need it in the first place. The damage bonus needs to be increased.

Tactical Movement is a waste of 40 munitions. Yes, you can speed your troops around, but I'd much rather save those munitions for two fausts and support my tanks, than waste it on moving faster around the map. I remind you: conscripts get this ability as well, and precision guided (they choose which conscripts).

If you have 40 free munitions, then you didn't buy those flamer pios, you probably: didn't upgrade that Flame HT, you didn't upgun that Scout car, you didn't get those G43's and you didn't get that lmg42. All of those upgrades are needed in some way or another, they multiply your troops efficiency, and they persist in the battlefield. Tactical movement just makes you run.
2 Jul 2013, 21:26 PM

The Blitzkrieg Doctrine is now available, which basically replaces Ambush with Relief Infantry and Light Artillery Barrage with Tiger call-in.
Early G43 and late Tiger? Yes please!
3 Jul 2013, 00:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2013, 21:26 PMQvazar
The Blitzkrieg Doctrine is now available, which basically replaces Ambush with Relief Infantry and Light Artillery Barrage with Tiger call-in.
Early G43 and late Tiger? Yes please!

Its a tricky exchange though. The Tiger brings the much needed tank power to the jaeger infantry version, but its still a mid-late game doctrine (2cp's being the earliest you get anything).

Its better than jaeger, no doubt.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS