Login

russian armor

Sovs == Brits

22 Jun 2013, 13:46 PM

Finally hit me today why I dislike the Sovs in this game so much. They're the CoH2 analogue to Brits in CoH1.

Clown Car => Bren in Bren.

HTD => Trenches

Button => Button

Huge crew support weapons => (moveable) emplacements (extremely hard to kill / dislodge)

Oorah => Heroic Charge

SU76 + ZIS barrage => non doctrinal powerful artillery

Of course some stuff is fixed like stupid slow infantry movement and ultra linear teching, but most of the BS "magic" stuff is there. DID ANYONE THINK BUTTON WAS A GOOD IDEA IN COH1?!

Now I'm sad. :(
22 Jun 2013, 14:01 PM

Brits - now with dedicated flamers and snipers.

Ooh, and you forgot

T-70 = Stuart
T-34 = Cromwell

SU85 - Hetzer (not brit, but still kinda is)
22 Jun 2013, 14:06 PM

They're also the PE:
* Techs like PE, but without the building upgrades.
* Builds main infantry from HQ.
* M3 = Inf-HT without reinforce.
* M5 is a better Inf-HT.
* SU-76 ~= Mortar-HT.
* Molotov = Incendiary Grenade.
* Healing upgrade in HQ.
* Sprint.
* T-70 = Hotchkiss.
* Shock Troops = Assault Grenadiers.
* Can use vehicles early-game to cap.

And the US:
* Infantry-focused.
* Barracks with Sniper & better Jeep.
* WSC + AT-gun.
* T-70 = M8 with M10 crush.
* T-34 = Faster better harder Sherman.
* Soviet M5 = US M3-HT with garrison.
* KV-8 = Crocodile Sherman.
* IS-2 = Pershing.
* Guards = Rangers.

They're inspired by everything from CoH1 of course.
22 Jun 2013, 14:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Shock troops are exactly the same as Brit Commandos. Highest MP cost for infantry ingame, has smoke bombs, grenades, 6 man squad size, all armed with SMGs, can lay demo charges. The parallels are striking.
22 Jun 2013, 14:23 PM
22 Jun 2013, 14:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Oops wrong unit. Sorry
22 Jun 2013, 15:48 PM

I heard that Quinn Duffy was designer of British faction in OF and Soviets in CoH2, if that's really true, well OP, you nailed it ;)
22 Jun 2013, 18:02 PM

I heard that Quinn Duffy was designer of British faction in OF and Soviets in CoH2, if that's really true, well OP, you nailed it ;)

This is actually scary if it's true...
22 Jun 2013, 18:28 PM

Not really. More like the PE IHT.

HTD => Trenches

Nah.

Button => Button

Yeah. I never really minded Button, though, tbh.

Huge crew support weapons => (moveable) emplacements (extremely hard to kill / dislodge)

Not even close.

Oorah => Heroic Charge

The main features of Heroic Charge including more damage, blobbing on account of the radius and suppression immunity, incentivising vetting an LT ASAP... so, not really.

Not even a bit like the Brit howitzer.

Shock troops are exactly the same as Brit Commandos. Highest MP cost for infantry ingame, has smoke bombs, grenades, 6 man squad size, all armed with SMGs, can lay demo charges. The parallels are striking.

Also the dropping from the sky in gliders, demo-laying and the invisibility...

Not that there aren't a few similarities but Qvazar's on the money here. There are a smattering of Brit abilities around but the Brits aren't really closer than anyone else to the end product.
22 Jun 2013, 18:47 PM

Either you like the game and play it ... or you do not like it and not play it. People like to cry a lot i guess.
If you do not like the game then there are countless other games you may like.
I actually find this game excellent. The Brits were static army and the soviets are very mobile. Be reasonable when you criticize something if you want the people to listen.
22 Jun 2013, 18:54 PM

Either you like the game and play it ... or you do not like it and not play it. People like to cry a lot i guess.
I actually find this game excellent. The Brits were static army and the soviets are very mobile. Be reasonable when you criticize something if you want the people to listen.

Or you like the game and play it, AND hope it gets even better.

I actually find this game excellent.

This game is not excellent, and nope there are not many other games I like.
22 Jun 2013, 19:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2013, 13:46 PMShazz
Finally hit me today why I dislike the Sovs in this game so much. They're the CoH2 analogue to Brits in CoH1.

HTD => Trenches

Button => Button

Oorah => Heroic Charge

Of course some stuff is fixed like stupid slow infantry movement and ultra linear teching, but most of the BS "magic" stuff is there. DID ANYONE THINK BUTTON WAS A GOOD IDEA IN COH1?!

Now I'm sad. :(

Right to the point
22 Jun 2013, 23:16 PM

Sigh...

This game is great but... that doesn't mean that there aren't any problems.

Attitudes like this will not get anything fixed (Here and in the real world) and being critical about things helps solves problems.

BTW, this is not a bunch of noobs complaining about a faction - it's very decent, long time players complaining about it. That's most of the community on coh2.org anyway. I don't think there are too many of us here who don't think Russians atm are ridiculous. (some people even saying russians are easymode)
23 Jun 2013, 02:03 AM

I wasn't trying to say they're exactly comparable, but a number of base problematic ideas are the same.

Trenches = basically invulnerable to small arms fire, comes way too early = HTD.

Button is exactly the same. I have no idea how anyone doesn't have a problem with this magic ability. Apparently LMG bullets can stop a 30 ton tank in its tracks!

Barrage abilities = non doctrinal artillery piece that comes early and capable of doing big damage to infantry.

Clown Car = units firing with brilliant accuracy from vehicles. Nobody, NOBODY liked the bren carrier or the kangaroo.

Oorah I suppose is more like fireup except it has no drawback and is instantly available versus just on elite infantry later on, ie sort of like heroic charge. The core issue with it is that like a lot of abilities, it's a complete no brainer. I will always, 100% of the time use Oorah. Cheap as chips, no downside.

And while the support teams aren't exactly emplacements, they might as well be moveable ones. You cannot counter a 6man soviet mortar team, especially not the doc one, with the german one (just like the mortar pit) and the MAXIM cannot be flanked and basically cannot be dislodged from a building in the early / mid game.

TLDR: There will of course be similarities to everything, but I see a lot of the stuff that went wrong with Brits (and to a lesser extent PE) going on with Sovs right now. The Ost play much the same as the Wehr and that's fine in my book. An Ost/Ost mirror matchup is actually more fun right now than the Ost/Sov one.

For the record, I've played vCoH since day 1 and at some point or another have been level 16 in 1v1 and 2v2 with all factions. I'm by no stretch an all star, but I've been around the block.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS