Login

russian armor

Does Relic actually play COH2?

3 Oct 2015, 03:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Oct 2015, 14:24 PMsamich
I'll be honest eyelessjack.. brad would smash you mate, he'd merc you up bled. He'd mash up all the units that you perceive as OP using all the units you perceive as UP.

Then he'd say "now what of your special quality" and you'd have to resort to posting screenshots saying GG relic bad manners etc

Thats what would happen mate.

And? Would Brad like to get his ass handed to him by me in Call of Duty? Exactly. Everyone is good at different games. I'm not claiming I'm pro I just wanted to know if Relic is aware that their game is a mess.
3 Oct 2015, 03:18 AM

In my experience, Relic has a handful of testers who do play the game but they're not necessarily good enough at the game to play on a high level. This is why they often seek feedback of high level players. This isn't always a good thing, because pros play the game in a very different fashion than everyone else. However in my time with Dawn of War 2 I ran into a few Relic devs in automatch. Most of the time they were just testing something and then surrendered though.

They do however have a bad habit of not testing their shit before releasing it. (Or otherwise having some issues with build management internally) There was a fun bug in Dawn of War 2 that involved a character being rendered as a black box when equipping a specific upgrade. It was caused by them adding a helmet that was supposed to render when equipping this item, and it took two separate hotfixes to fix it. Most likely this was caused by a mismatch between the internal build and their external build but it was pretty funny at the time.

That is the problem with Relic, more than any other company, they give me the idea that they are incompetent.

I think their biggest problem is that there's such a lack of internal organization and direction.

For example in Dawn of War 2 there's a flag called ability_knockback which unlike normal knockback would work against retreating units. They'd come out and say "We want to get rid of all instances of ability_knockback!" and there'd always be some niggling here and there. And then everytime an expansion came out all the fucking new units used ability_knockback for a few patches.

It was a huge jumble of people working on the campaign, the last stand and multiplayer which all had their own stats and rules. It never felt like there was any care put into how things were balanced and that everything was a kneejerk reaction to community feedback or a misguided implementation in the first place.

They've doubled down on "listen to the community" with CoH2 which has resulted in them abandoning the eastern front, blizzards, most of coldtech and design decisions (old vp bleed, ostheer etc)) in favour of making the game more like CoH1.

3 Oct 2015, 08:29 AM

In my experience, Relic has a handful of testers who do play the game but they're not necessarily good enough at the game to play on a high level. This is why they often seek feedback of high level players. This isn't always a good thing, because pros play the game in a very different fashion than everyone else. However in my time with Dawn of War 2 I ran into a few Relic devs in automatch. Most of the time they were just testing something and then surrendered though.

They do however have a bad habit of not testing their shit before releasing it. (Or otherwise having some issues with build management internally) There was a fun bug in Dawn of War 2 that involved a character being rendered as a black box when equipping a specific upgrade. It was caused by them adding a helmet that was supposed to render when equipping this item, and it took two separate hotfixes to fix it. Most likely this was caused by a mismatch between the internal build and their external build but it was pretty funny at the time.

I think their biggest problem is that there's such a lack of internal organization and direction.

For example in Dawn of War 2 there's a flag called ability_knockback which unlike normal knockback would work against retreating units. They'd come out and say "We want to get rid of all instances of ability_knockback!" and there'd always be some niggling here and there. And then everytime an expansion came out all the fucking new units used ability_knockback for a few patches.

It was a huge jumble of people working on the campaign, the last stand and multiplayer which all had their own stats and rules. It never felt like there was any care put into how things were balanced and that everything was a kneejerk reaction to community feedback or a misguided implementation in the first place.

They've doubled down on "listen to the community" with CoH2 which has resulted in them abandoning the eastern front, blizzards, most of coldtech and design decisions (old vp bleed, ostheer etc)) in favour of making the game more like CoH1.

Very good input. I also love your profile picture. Maria Brink is a goddess.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★