Login

russian armor

Regarding the cold tech removal

21 Sep 2015, 12:12 PM
Patrion 14

No deep snow, mud, or anything that slows infantry down.
No health drain / random deaths promoting campy play, huddling around campfires, and spamming the precious shields UI with annoying blinking blue icons
No to framerate drops due to a cosmetic effect.
Yes to additional tactical options that arise from reduced line of sight and inability to use airplanes.

The problem is, people associate cold tech with all 4 of the above, whereas if we only had the increased tactical options without all the bullpudding, it would enrich the game (on certain winter maps) immensely.
21 Sep 2015, 12:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2015, 22:40 PMF1sh
How about you have an checkbox "Coldtech Enabled?" in the automatch menu. I liked blizzards and freezing, but deep snow is hell.

I think this is a neat Idea but suspect that the critics might object that can have an effect on ranking, if the cold tech is still imba.

So far bottom line of most negative answers in this thread is: "this is RNG and imba, shouldnt be in automatch"
And I agree with that but that is not the answer to my question which was, IF it is reworked properly to not have RNG at all and remove freeze mechanic - would it really be an issue? Imo it would add an additional tactical layer where you have to look out for footprints and listen to engine sound, due to small LOS.
21 Sep 2015, 12:27 PM

It was fine as it was

Maybe make it work like WP where Cold wounds but doesn't actually kill

Troll detected.
21 Sep 2015, 12:43 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Yes I liked it

So clearly I must be a troll

Thank you for that analysis

The environment is neutral (unless you are OKW of course), how you use the environment and manage RNG determines skill, not removing as much of either as possible so you are basically playing a re-skinned version of GO with better graphics
21 Sep 2015, 12:45 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Thanks Relic for removing this disgrace for automatch.
21 Sep 2015, 15:20 PM

Cold Tech was just implemented poorly(very, very, very poorly)
It could have been improved Like:
1. Instead of blizzard being a timed event during winter maps, certain maps could instead be on a permanent blizzard settings.
> Blizzard in itself would turn from an event into a battlefield condition, something the players would have to take into consideration instead of just camping until the blizzard ends.

2. Infantry gain cold immunity through vet and/or upgrades.
>the longer the game goes the less focus the players have on each individual unit so giving the option to provide cold immunity can lessen the focus of the player on the cold.

3. Certain units gain LoS increase(in Blizzard maps) through vet and/or upgrades.
Blizzard will decrease the LoS of all units thereby making scouting harder for certain factions. An upgrade/vet bonus to certain units can help mitigate this.

4. Units move faster in deep snow through vet/upgrades.
>Deep snow is annoying in the sense that infantry get slowed down a lot. So giving the option to remove this hindrance is nice.

5. Deep snow is ONLY placed in tactical locations and not cover the whole map with it.
>Deep snow should force players to make choices and not just no brainer decisions.

6. Deep snow doesn't recover.
>once its gone its gone for good.

7. Deep snow can camouflage infantry.
>To increase its usability and not just make deep snow into a hindrance.

These are the things off the top of my head that could improve cold tech.

Mud tech follows in a similar manner, it should be use tactically and force players to make decision and not just have all the roads littered with them.

EDIT:
8. Disabling Offmap support because of making blizzard always on would kill certain commanders(CAS, Luftwaffe, etc.) so a better way to show that they are hampered would be to increase their cost or increase their delay in blizzard maps.
>This would further emphasize the notion that blizzard maps would play differently from summer/winter maps since your offmap support will be hampered by the blizzard.
21 Sep 2015, 15:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge

> Blizzard in itself would turn from an event into a battlefield condition, something the players would have to take into consideration instead of just camping until the blizzard ends.

Oddly enough there seems to be strong correlation between the players who response to a blizzard was "Sit next to a fire and sulk until it ends" and those who complained it was unimaginative

Then there were those of us who exploited it to reinforce, reposition and launch attacks without interference from offmaps and under cloak of weather to get close
21 Sep 2015, 16:16 PM

No health drain / random deaths promoting campy play, huddling around campfires, and spamming the precious shields UI with annoying blinking blue icons
Yes to additional tactical options that arise from reduced line of sight and inability to use airplanes.

The problem is, people associate cold tech with all 4 of the above, whereas if we only had the increased tactical options without all the bullpudding, it would enrich the game (on certain winter maps) immensely.

+100000
22 Sep 2015, 06:20 AM

I agree with the statement above. More tactical options is what this games. Additionally they made the mistake of introducing two maps (Summer and Winter versions of each map) Before the game came out they advertised cold tech out the ass and gave the impression that maps would have variable weather patterns.

If relic ever got around to improving the games engine (64 bit client and or DX12)
I would like to see not just snow as a tactical option from the reduction of line of sight and inability to use planes but some maps should also make use of rain and sandstorms, same effect but different cosmetic appearance based on the map.

It is a shame when you download a Custom Map on the steam workshop and you see Night and Rain effects which often look beautiful (They also had a Night map in the OKW Trailer) yet we have none of these in the main game itself.
22 Sep 2015, 06:42 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2015, 22:03 PMFoxbat
Was it really necessary to remove this feature altogether from automatch?

Yes, absolutely. It was a marketing gag and didn´t work at all.
22 Sep 2015, 10:49 AM

Oddly enough there seems to be strong correlation between the players who response to a blizzard was "Sit next to a fire and sulk until it ends" and those who complained it was unimaginative

Then there were those of us who exploited it to reinforce, reposition and launch attacks without interference from offmaps and under cloak of weather to get close

The whole point of turning blizzard always on in some maps is to prevent these possible lull moments when blizzards normally happen since the blizzard will always be on, players aren't "forced" to sit on their ass for the next minute or so because of the blizzard.

I totally forgot about offmap support being turned off during blizzards. I'll have to edit my suggestions to include that.
22 Sep 2015, 11:00 AM

The whole point of turning blizzard always on in some maps is to prevent these possible lull moments when blizzards normally happen since the blizzard will always be on, players aren't "forced" to sit on their ass for the next minute or so because of the blizzard.

I totally forgot about offmap support being turned off during blizzards. I'll have to edit my suggestions to include that.

the problem was the RNG but you can re-design it with regular timers, which would make it predictable and manageable like starting at a certain minute inside the game or at a certain VP counter number. Similar to the BF4 map Gulf of Oman.
22 Sep 2015, 11:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2015, 11:00 AMFoxbat

the problem was the RNG but you can re-design it with regular timers, which would make it predictable and manageable like starting at a certain minute inside the game or at a certain VP counter number. Similar to the BF4 map Gulf of Oman.

Blizzard actually follows a predicable manner during a match which was based on the game time. The first blizzard happens around 9-11 minutes(I can't remember the precise time)and happens again after X minutes so the timing is not really the problem, its the lull moments majority of players perceive it to be because infantry die faster outside of cover. This is the reason why I would prefer Blizzard to be its own subtype of maps instead of making it an event during winter maps. Players can't actually sit around the fire twiddling their thumbs all game long if the Blizzard is forever during the match.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★