Login

russian armor

RE heavy starts=the future

10 Aug 2015, 07:46 AM

Been realizing that even if you want a good Rifle build (3 to 4) it's still worth having lots of REs. RE builds relying on weapon racks and call-ins work too. My observations:

-Opening up with REs lets you gobble up the map quickly, and is great vs Kubel/MG42 starts. Occupying key buildings vs Ostheer too.

-Having a solid RE core is great for protecting early vehicles from mines, and with racks can be very cost effective counters.

-REs actually circumvent Rifle bleed. Start engagements conservatively with REs in cover, and flank with Rifles. If you lose 1 RE for one Riflemen that you would have lost, you save 8 MP. This adds up over the course of a game.

-Recon. Having lots of REs lets you probe the map without much risk. This is very true early game.

-In the early game a fighting pit on the enemy's cutoff can be GG, if you draw the enemy away.

-Placing Tank Traps directly in front of a Fighting Position protects it greatly. Surround it from every direction for maximum protection.

-In the late game double zook/LMG REs hold the line and protect support weapons very well. You can slow just grind the enemy down in the MP war.

IMO there isn't much reason to not start with at least 3 REs every game. They are economic as hell, do a little bit of everything, and can help turn early engagements in your favor.
10 Aug 2015, 08:14 AM

Cool read, haven't actually thought about many things you stated.
Like, placing tank traps in front of a FP, seems obvious but never did that :).

Agreed!
10 Aug 2015, 08:40 AM

About the fighting position tank traps:

Thank me later :P

Typically I will build 1 more RE to start into 3 rifles then tech up, the 1 more RE is really vital to capping a lot of the map early on but building an extra RE? I don't know. Giving them 60-120 munitions worth of weapons to become pinatas for the enemy is a bit too risky for my liking.

I might try it though.
10 Aug 2015, 08:57 AM

Assault Engies and Pathfinders might be needed if you go more than 2 RE early game, btw
10 Aug 2015, 10:06 AM

Assault Engies and Pathfinders might be needed if you go more than 2 RE early game, btw

Could you elaborate? I find both (more so engies) to be very squishy!
10 Aug 2015, 14:49 PM

If you go 3 RE, 3 Rifle you can get bullied by a Gren heavy strategy. Like, 5 Grens. An Assault Engie squad with Flamer or Pathfinder help apply pressure, don't bleed, (screen Engies with REs at all times) and have some utility.

Of course vs really infantry heavy 2 RE 4 Rifle is great, but you can't really predict exactly beforehand.
10 Aug 2015, 14:56 PM

I always use 3 RE with bars and 2 riflemen, i only hope that they will change volley fire
10 Aug 2015, 15:53 PM

In the beginning of WFA, RE with Suppressive Fire were useful, but then their ability was nerfed into uselessness and they became simple capping and anti-mining minions.

Would love to see some more utility coming with them. I mean in the begining they were the pay 15 mun MG. Now they can barely supress anything with SF.
11 Aug 2015, 10:22 AM

REs are still good lategame. Just give them zooks or LMGs and always have them building tank traps.

Axis LMGs laser down individual models, meaning a Riflemen or a RE will die to a burst regardless. This makes LMG REs really good at grinding down the enemy MP if they go LMG Grens/Obers.

11 Aug 2015, 14:26 PM
Patrion 15

REs are still good lategame. Just give them zooks or LMGs and always have them building tank traps.

Axis LMGs laser down individual models, meaning a Riflemen or a RE will die to a burst regardless. This makes LMG REs really good at grinding down the enemy MP if they go LMG Grens/Obers.

Idk I've been trying re-spam starts recently and have found that lmg obers hard counter it. Even 5 man with bars I they fall brutally fast.
11 Aug 2015, 14:36 PM

I tried this yesterday:

http://www.coh2.org/replay/38226/who-even-needs-riflemen

:banana:

Ok admittedly he isn't the greatest 1v1 player and it was a casual game, but it was pretty funny getting 2 LMGs on REs.

The map presence the REs give you is really nice as you said, I just obviously went overboard.
11 Aug 2015, 16:43 PM

Haven't watched, but wow lol
17 Aug 2015, 02:58 AM

To be honest I've never had anyone actually succeed in using a lot of REs early game. If I play as Axis I'll usually overshadow their force with more potent units easily. The only success I've had when using them is by giving them BARs because their M1A1 rifles have no damage whatsoever. Pairing the use of Volley fire between 2 squads is useful if you aren't fighting a blob.
20 Aug 2015, 09:59 AM

Theorycrafting here, but I really don't see this working against Grenadier or even Pioneer spam.
20 Aug 2015, 10:06 AM

RE's are perfect for being that second flanking squad on a building in the first 3 mins or on a kubel.

Also gives you good map control and something else for your opponent to shot at rather than Rifles.
20 Aug 2015, 20:19 PM

Theorycrafting here, but I really don't see this working against Grenadier or even Pioneer spam.

Harass/start engagements with REs and flank with rifles
20 Aug 2015, 21:04 PM

Harass/start engagements with REs and flank with rifles

I'll do this as OKW with Volks and Strums too. Idea is to walk REs ahead of Rifles so that squads auto-target them so you force the other player to micro target the "bigger" threat. Works well if they are busy or otherwise aren't noticing what squad is being fired at.
21 Aug 2015, 00:24 AM

Yeah. Same could be said with Cons and Shocks too.

Giving REs BARs lets them cost effectively deal with troops from far away while Rifles can still flank, which is really nice.
21 Aug 2015, 01:01 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Well after experimenting with 2 RE 3 Rifle 2 RE, 3 RE 2 Rifle,whatever combination you can think of with alot of RE's,ive found that using RE as mainline infantry is mostly inneffective and will only give you horrible K/D ratios and lack of true killing power unless you were really dominating to begin with.

They are weapon pinatas,cant beat late game axis infantry,only match them if you're lucky..(really you only make the axis lategame even stronger by giving away BARs and zookas),and make you look like a dick in the post game screen with ratios like

96 Kills
276 deaths,

130 kills,345 deaths,etc etc

HOWEVER,HAVING 2 AT ALL TIMES(MAYBE 3 if you have alot of muni) RE's with double zook or bar,or a mix of both,on top of your 2-3 rifles+both officers is a very effective scaling infantry force.

But really anymore than 2 and you're starting to shoot yourself in the foot,unless of course,you were the better player to begin with.

"not having bleed" isnt a good enough reason to RE spam,in my opinion.
Its just a flaw of USF. Nothing you can do to properly circumvent it in an even matched game.

Also,I only give RE's weapons at VET 2,or if I give them weapons at vet 0,its a bazooka to help them vet.
21 Aug 2015, 02:44 AM
Patrion 14

RE spam is a good idea, but only for the lategame.

Early game, riflemen are still the best infantry in the game. Use them, because there is no reason not to.

In the lategame (when armor and lmg grens are everywhere), replace lost rifle squads with RE, 1 1/2 squads per lost rifle/ LT. Upgrade each RE with either 1 BAR or 1 M1919. RE with a BAR can suppress a squad in zero cover in about 6 seconds (volley fire), and become the most cost effective infantry in the game. When you have time off, spam tank traps for cover, and maybe a fighting position to use as a grenade dispenser. Always support with actual mgs.

RE in green cover (2 squads + 1 MG) can defeat ANY infantry push, and can also defeat any combined arms effort with the aid of a Pack Howitzer and an AT gun or two. Never attack the enemy, and just hold the VPs until you win.

For extra awesomeness, make sure your ambulance or M3 HT is close by, since RE reinforce very quickly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★