Login

russian armor

Molotovs

12 Jun 2013, 14:51 PM

A soviet player will usually always have at least 3 conscript squads if not 4 asap.
Molotovs is a cheap upgrade that is a no-brainer to get.
Infantry does not shoot when soft-retreating.

Toss a molotov and burn the poor grens, or shoot them in the back when they try to get away from it and does not shoot back. Instant engagement win.

Trying to protect your grens or mg in a building? Sorry, molotov.
Conscript in a building? Erh... lost engagement.

Yes, I feel I don't have a fighting chance as german at the moment, even when it's all I played in the earlier patches. Something happened.
12 Jun 2013, 17:28 PM
Patrion 27

It sounds like you should play more games and try new strategies. Molotovs have a huge wind-up and are rather easy to kite from. The two-five seconds it takes to kite are not going to devastate your infantry.

A Soviet player getting early Molotovs will be hindering their fuel and manpower for the upgrade. Also you have access to very early Mg42 which in combination with a Gren squad is not easy to throw a Molotov at.

Hope that helps :)
12 Jun 2013, 18:15 PM

"cough cough" rifle nades "cough cough"

Seriously they do TONS more damage than a molotov, do all there damage up front.

ALso i have seen a gren squad stand in a molotov for 6 whole secound and it only did 40% damage, threw one into a building with a sniper and it didnt even kill the damn sniper.
13 Jun 2013, 06:32 AM

Seeing as grens are better as conscripts the closer you get (they lose to conscripts at range), have you ever though of walking towards the cons while they throw the molotov instead of away?
13 Jun 2013, 06:54 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Grens better than Conscripts at range? I think it's the other way around if anything. Really though it mostly comes down to luck...
13 Jun 2013, 07:06 AM

Grens better than Conscripts at range? I think it's the other way around if anything. Really though it mostly comes down to luck...

If you are referring to me, that's what i said. "Grens better vs Cons the closer you get" == "Cons are better at range".
But yeah, it also comes down to luck, but you have a higher chance of winning the closer you get.
13 Jun 2013, 07:46 AM

If you don't like molotovs that much.

Try a T2 start with PG spam :) Then Molotovs are useless :)

EDIT: But yeah, molotovs are often the only way the russians have any chance of flushing a MG out of a building. Flamers normally just wouldn't cut it. And when you hit T2, guess what the Germans have - Rifle grenades :)
18 Jun 2013, 00:34 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2013, 18:15 PMCrells
"cough cough" rifle nades "cough cough"

Seriously they do TONS more damage than a molotov, do all there damage up front.

ALso i have seen a gren squad stand in a molotov for 6 whole secound and it only did 40% damage, threw one into a building with a sniper and it didnt even kill the damn sniper.

I disagree. While the damage certainly is "different" it is by no means "Higher" as in "More effective." 1 Molotov can potentially, and often manages to 1 shot a mortar (only 2 models have to die, and the loader/aimer are close together), MG-42 also has 3 models, and if you time it right the 2 other models will derp and run to the MG trying to dismantle it, and die doing so.
18 Jun 2013, 00:41 AM

Many good players(in german faction) can dodge a molotov.

of course rifle nades too. Important thing is only micro.

but I agree, It's not easy.
18 Jun 2013, 01:10 AM

I don't think they are OP but definitely should get a change imo. The fire burn over time area is too big and the damage from it seems very inconsistent. I wish they worked similar to CoH1 grenades. More immediate explosive damage but smaller burn radius and decreased burn damage.
18 Jun 2013, 07:56 AM

Permanently Banned
Its just a guess, but I think its the armor negating effect resulting in unpredictable criticals.

And I keep going on about it, but once again, flame, since it bypasses armor, is "super effective" vs Ostheer low infantry count units which rely on armor for their survival and cost effectiveness.
18 Jun 2013, 15:40 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2013, 07:56 AMNullist
Its just a guess, but I think its the armor negating effect resulting in unpredictable criticals.

And I keep going on about it, but once again, flame, since it bypasses armor, is "super effective" vs Ostheer low infantry count units which rely on armor for their survival and cost effectiveness.

^ This. Armor should not be outright negated by flames. Countered, sure, but Snipers dying to a single cough of a flamer on retreat is just outright weird.
18 Jun 2013, 16:26 PM

I dont feel molotovs are too powerful right now. Most of their true damage is dealt in the initial burst, but like rifle grenades, they are very predictable to dodge.

I will insit, again, that the problem in infantry matchups right now, is small arms fire damage. It's what making concscripts vs grens so inconsistent ni the first place: we rely more on RNG critical hits than actual positioning, and cover is a joke.

Rifle grenades are NOT comparable to molotovs. They are very situational, you need a very specific range to just shoot them, you can't "lead" your shot on enclosing conscripts (where they will destroy you, unless you have G43's) and most importantly: they will deal little to no damage if the enemy is not bunched up together.

Once small arms fire is increased, units trying to throw molotovs will HAVE to be close, and most likely out of cover (unless the situation/cover favors the soviets) to throw it.
18 Jun 2013, 16:38 PM

Permanently Banned
Molotov seems to somehow screw with pathing.

Infantry is not responsive to move out of it.

Oorahing into Molotov range is something so retarded it should be punished severely on the approach through the open without cover.
19 Jun 2013, 00:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2013, 16:38 PMNullist

Oorahing into Molotov range is something so retarded it should be punished severely on the approach through the open without cover.

Also, the molotov, while requiring an upgrade, allows conscripts a soft tool to dislodge enemies out of buildings. Sometimes it is useless, but when it works, it works. The germans have no true tools to dislodge off buildings. Only the flamer HT, but that only works early on.
22 Jun 2013, 02:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2013, 16:38 PMNullist

i dont think its just the molotovs, infantry are generally not responsive to move orders in combat, they tend to jump all over the place, i suspect its the auto cover seeking mechanic spazzing out again.
22 Jun 2013, 06:42 AM

I've been noticing some pretty weird infantry behavior and lack of response to my commands. Really frustrating.
22 Jun 2013, 06:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2013, 02:36 AMwongtp

i dont think its just the molotovs, infantry are generally not responsive to move orders in combat, they tend to jump all over the place, i suspect its the auto cover seeking mechanic spazzing out again.

yes. agreed.

I've noticed the infantry will go out of their way to jump into the fire...
25 Jun 2013, 21:49 PM

Most definitely the evasion would be made MUCH easier if troops would react at least CLOSE to instantly... I cant count how many times I've seen the telegraphed molotov coming and clicked my squad away VERY EARLY on and just had to sit idly and frustratingly aside while I watch my troops lose 20% of their health while they painstakingly get up and run around on the burning ground.

ALSO, what kind of Napalm did the russians use in their vodka? Seriously, one bottle of liquor is enough to engulf an entire sector in fire?! Radius needs to be nerfed.

My solutions for fixing Molotovs:

1. Make reactions of dodging squads faster and less prone to pathing issues.
2. Diminish the radius of the fire.
3. Increase the damage by 15% (to penalize those not microing or paying attention)
4. Make the throwing animation %20 faster (also to put the onus on the dodging and skill aspect).
17 Jul 2013, 06:12 AM

I dont research molotovs anymore since they dont do jack shit. I throw a molotv on a mg in a house. Of course I had to retreat since the MG pinned me. MG didnt exit the house and lost maybe 20% of the health. Maybe the newest patches reduced the power of molotov, so your post was successfull - lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Korea, Republic Of 5
Russian Federation 94
unknown 11

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %