Login

russian armor

Popcap change in BETA

11 Jun 2013, 19:35 PM

Hi as it is called BETA testing , can we see how the classic pop cap works for a few days ? just give us a patch devs and let us experience the classic pop cap from COH1 in COH2 and then you can have a better feedback.
11 Jun 2013, 20:40 PM

I suggested the same thing a while back, but unfortunately nothing happened.
11 Jun 2013, 22:16 PM
Coder Red Badge

Seeing as Relic went to such great effort to simplify the internal workings of the game (straight damage and armour instead of target tables, for example), I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually impossible to set unit-specific upkeep values in the current engine. I don't think we'll ever see anything like CoH1's upkeep system in CoH2 because I don't think it's technically possible in the new, simplified engine.
11 Jun 2013, 22:20 PM

You know typically in game franchises, each sequel introduces changes that build on what has gone on before and generally improve the gameplay experience. Names such as Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Starcraft and Total War come to mind.

With CoH2 I'm seeing a lot of changes but little in the way of improvements.
11 Jun 2013, 22:36 PM

there was NO improvements in SC franchise, it is the exact same game with different units, build workers collect the same resources and build the same stuff,

Total war is a good example, command and conquer so-so (please dont include CnC 4, total rubbish)

for me i do not want the same game with diffrent units (which does not really work when basing off ww2) SC2 was awesome because sc1 was simply just too old and needed revammping.

One last note, the best solution is often the most simplist, Simple does not mean dumb or bad.
11 Jun 2013, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2013, 22:36 PMCrells
there was NO improvements in SC franchise, it is the exact same game with different units, build workers collect the same resources and build the same stuff,

Total war is a good example, command and conquer so-so (please dont include CnC 4, total rubbish)

for me i do not want the same game with diffrent units (which does not really work when basing off ww2) SC2 was awesome because sc1 was simply just too old and needed revammping.

One last note, the best solution is often the most simplist, Simple does not mean dumb or bad.

With Starcraft, there were graphical improvements at least, more flexibilty in the building of units, and it had better spectator options. HoTS had less in the improvement front, but there are some minor things and many improvements targeted the esports scene.

So if I call someone simpleminded it means?.........Surely you would want complexity as it adds depth and gives choice, which is a core element of an RTS.
11 Jun 2013, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2013, 22:16 PMInverse
Seeing as Relic went to such great effort to simplify the internal workings of the game (straight damage and armour instead of target tables, for example), I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually impossible to set unit-specific upkeep values in the current engine. I don't think we'll ever see anything like CoH1's upkeep system in CoH2 because I don't think it's technically possible in the new, simplified engine.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to pop cap being determined by the amount of territory being held.
11 Jun 2013, 22:58 PM
Coder Red Badge

12 Jun 2013, 02:26 AM

With Starcraft, there were graphical improvements at least, more flexibilty in the building of units, and it had better spectator options. HoTS had less in the improvement front, but there are some minor things and many improvements targeted the esports scene.

So if I call someone simpleminded it means?.........Surely you would want complexity as it adds depth and gives choice, which is a core element of an RTS.

Your points about SC has nothing to do with gameplay, it was more of an upgrade in hardware imo.

Complexity is nice to have to a point yes, however tetris is a simple yet rewarding experiance.

I in no discourage complexity in my RTS games, but Complexity for the sake of complexity can often end badly, simplistic design can create master pieces which can be improved easily.

I guess what im trying to say is, some of the more complex gameplay mechanics from COH, as some suggested the circle capping opposed to the flagpole capping, does that indeed add strategic complexity that is fun and challenging to manage, or does it add needless complexity for the sake of it and players just got use to it, (this is just an example of many).
12 Jun 2013, 05:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2013, 02:26 AMCrells

Complexity is nice to have to a point yes, however tetris is a simple yet rewarding experiance.

I hear coloring books kick ass too. :lol:
12 Jun 2013, 08:09 AM

Ok how about skydiving,, you jump out of a plane, not much more to it.
12 Jun 2013, 09:42 AM

SC2 had way more improvements besides visual. Unit pathing, hotkeying mass armys, high ground/low ground mechanics updated, unit countering to name a few.
12 Jun 2013, 10:58 AM

Comparing this to SC2 though...no point. SC2 was about super-Korean micro...how fast you can click...good build orders. I'm so glad you can win in COH2 without being the fastest guy with a mouse and hotkeys.
12 Jun 2013, 12:17 PM

Learning the hotkeys is still crucial though. While micro-ing your guys around a tank, it's far easier to press F3, then R to start a ZiS build than moving back to base and doing it via mouse. <Or whatever>.
12 Jun 2013, 14:03 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Comparing this to SC2 though...no point. SC2 was about super-Korean micro...how fast you can click...good build orders. I'm so glad you can win in COH2 without being the fastest guy with a mouse and hotkeys.

Although the addition of freezing to death in blizzards definitely ups the APM requirement a bit during the game.
12 Jun 2013, 16:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2013, 09:42 AMalexctd
SC2 had way more improvements besides visual. Unit pathing, hotkeying mass armys, high ground/low ground mechanics updated, unit countering to name a few.

Unit pathing improvements actually hurt the game since now there is no diminishing return to keeping your units in one big ball (which is even easier thanks to being able to hotkey mass armies). The high ground/low ground mechanic wasn't "updated", it was changed to make high ground less important.

Just saying. I know it's still a big e-sport but as a fan of pro BW it's pretty clear that SC2 is a more simple game, and nothing was improved except UI features and graphics.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 77
United States 25
Germany 23
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %